Tired of broken Cam ribbons on PV2+ Need help

Reaction score
I have replaced the ribbon on my Camera once and now after three fights it broke again after a flip on landing. I understand after the first crash because I hit a powerline and it came down hard, but this time it is crazy to break on just flipping over. I have two vision 2 plus quads and both have broke cams, but both fly very well without the cameras working. What I would like to know is can you replace the cam with a gopro camera or something else and everything still work. This is one of the cheapest build setups I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I have a gimbal protector installed. Not the one you suggested. It does look like a better one than what I had.

bcstexas said:
What I would like to know is can you replace the cam with a gopro camera or something else and everything still work. This is one of the cheapest build setups I have ever seen.

Here's one link to the Gopro and H3-D3 upgrade from the V+ camera to continue to provide telemetry and FPV data stream. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32631&p=300121&hilit=gopro+conversion#p298828

I believe there are other solutions, but the above link will give you a start..

sounds like you could do with more stick time along with the add ons mentioned above. it is high time that someone produced a UC that gave a BIG footprint but also kept out of camera shot. would be great for those whose stick dexterity is a little lacking. the only time I ever tipped on landing, and with no damage I might add,( I have prop guards fitted ) was after I installed the OEM high and wide UC. sure it is great left to right, but the extra height gives a greater moment arm to the front back and the thing is the same length in that direction so it actually makes the quad LESS stable fore and aft!!!

For sure you need a good quality gimbal protector. Which one did you have on? I have the one from Killer RC.

The other thing you can do is hand catch. It's not that hard. Sure there's the risk of a light breeze blowing the drone into your face causing blindness and death but other than that it's a great way to go. I hand catch all the time. Very easy on the gimbal.

ATKDrones.Com has them 3 for 125.00

but i hear ya, class action sounds like the only option based on poor design and warranty.

d

bcstexas said:
I have replaced the ribbon on my Camera once and now after three fights it broke again after a flip on landing. I understand after the first crash because I hit a powerline and it came down hard, but this time it is crazy to break on just flipping over. I have two vision 2 plus quads and both have broke cams, but both fly very well without the cameras working. What I would like to know is can you replace the cam with a gopro camera or something else and everything still work. This is one of the cheapest build setups I have ever seen.
:lol:
Maybe a cheaper way to go is the answer while you learn. Lots of us fly other RC craft before we risk damaging an expensive camera and gimbal. The P2 Vision has a very durable design since it has no gimbal.

MHL

Woah. Flipped on landing, hit power lines? What are you doing with your quad? Isn't there a tutorial or flight simulator to practice on?

Edit. Are either of your gimbals still good (probably unlikely, lol), and does anyone know if you can separate the camera from the gimbal?

CloudPhantom said:
Woah. Flipped on landing, hit power lines? What are you doing with your quad? Isn't there a tutorial or flight simulator to practice on?

Edit. Are either of your gimbals still good (probably unlikely, lol), and does anyone know if you can separate the camera from the gimbal?

Yes you can separate the camera from the gimbal and fly the quad without it.
What am I doing with my quad? I'm flying and taking videos and pictures. If you are saying you fly quads and have never had an upset you are full of BS. I have repaired one of the cameras with a new ribbon cable and its working fine. Just hate paying $50 -60 bucks for a 10 cent part. I just feel that their factory gimbal for the camera is a poor design, not the quality of the camera or the rest of the quad.

RichWest said:
bcstexas said:
What I would like to know is can you replace the cam with a gopro camera or something else and everything still work. This is one of the cheapest build setups I have ever seen.

Here's one link to the Gopro and H3-D3 upgrade from the V+ camera to continue to provide telemetry and FPV data stream. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32631&p=300121&hilit=gopro+conversion#p298828

I believe there are other solutions, but the above link will give you a start..

+1.

Free your self. You will feel emancipated when you convert over.
Nothing better than unmounting the gopro and attaching it to your dog and seeing what it does when you're not around. I bet you cant do that with the Vision Plus camera.

If you do however get a hold of another flex cable and fix the camera, try the following:
Catch Lands.
Use gimbal guards - one on the gimbal roll motor and one going from leg to leg to protect the camera and gimbal module.
Remove the Drop pins and replace with a very loose rubber band or very loose zip tie. This will prevent whiplash and allow the gimbal to pop off rather than have a sudden stop. The sudden stop causes the camera to pop out and tear the cable and may cause tilt in the long run.

bcstexas said:
Yes you can separate the camera from the gimbal and fly the quad without it.
What am I doing with my quad? I'm flying and taking videos and pictures. If you are saying you fly quads and have never had an upset you are full of BS. I have repaired one of the cameras with a new ribbon cable and its working fine. Just hate paying $50 -60 bucks for a 10 cent part. I just feel that their factory gimbal for the camera is a poor design, not the quality of the camera or the rest of the quad.

hmm.. maybe im just much more careful flying since i just got mine recently? i havent crashed or tipped it, but yeah.. i would never fly near power lines? sure the gimbal is "fragile". its a piece of leveling equipment with fine precision. youre not supposed to do acrobatic aerials with your Phantom, and expect a delicate device like the gimbal to survive a hard tumble when you mess up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic