Tips on flying in ATTI mode

Reaction score
Hi group
I've got about 10 or 12 hours flying my P3A on GPS mode and now want to master flying in ATTI mode.
Got used to the drift in wind which is OK. It does not seem to drift much in altitude, but I guess anything could happen....

I have not attempted a landing in ATTI mode. When at 2 to 3 metres above ground attempting to hover, pitch and yaw are constantly changing. I appreciate this is what happens in ATTI mode :)
I think some of my difficulty appears to be associated with stick inputs. Making a small input on the stick seems to result in a larger than expected change in the aircraft motion and trying to correct for this larger movement results in even larger movement and so on :)
I think, trying to attempt a landing will result in the aircraft tipping.

I have not changed the stick settings from the default values.
Is there any advantage in changing the gain/expo settings when flying in ATTI mode?

Anything else to try, or is just practice?

I am not interested (yet) in outright speed and fast, tight manoeuvres, so I'm prepared to sacrifice some "performance" for ease of landing and then progress from there.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

There is always some danger when we are piloting in atti. Technology is fantastic. That's why the big boys in the 727's and even the 747's have auto pilot and even some have auto landing features. They rely on instruments rather than visual. So I rely on my OSD and GPS technology to get me up and down,too. Eye balls can't judge as well as instruments. Tried it and have clipped the ends off some props trying.

Reactions: stuart_m
Hi group
I've got about 10 or 12 hours flying my P3A on GPS mode and now want to master flying in ATTI mode.
Got used to the drift in wind which is OK. It does not seem to drift much in altitude, but I guess anything could happen....

I have not attempted a landing in ATTI mode. When at 2 to 3 metres above ground attempting to hover, pitch and yaw are constantly changing. I appreciate this is what happens in ATTI mode :)
I think some of my difficulty appears to be associated with stick inputs. Making a small input on the stick seems to result in a larger than expected change in the aircraft motion and trying to correct for this larger movement results in even larger movement and so on :)
I think, trying to attempt a landing will result in the aircraft tipping.

I have not changed the stick settings from the default values.
Is there any advantage in changing the gain/expo settings when flying in ATTI mode?

Anything else to try, or is just practice?

I am not interested (yet) in outright speed and fast, tight manoeuvres, so I'm prepared to sacrifice some "performance" for ease of landing and then progress from there.

Thanks in advance

Stuart
I have done a lot of Atti flying. I like it and it is a pity that the P3 doesn't have a full manual mode. The P3 has excellent flying characteristics in ATTI-mode.

It isn't that difficult. There is only a horizontal drift not vertically unless you have a strong down- or updraft. If there is little wind you can land and surely take-off.
Be alert, keep your hands at the sticks and try to anticipate.
If you fly fast and loose the sticks it breaks only by the friction of the air. Videographers likes this because it gives much smoother footages.
There is no difference in stick input but if you are flying fast in a certain direction you have to brake actively by counteracting, which is easy and very well controlled.
Practice, practice, it is not difficult but nescesary!

And last but not least. If you think you are going out of control, switch back to GPS. The P3P will react immediately!

Off course needles to say that you should practice in a wide open area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricky and stuart_m

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic