Tips for traveling with a drone

Reaction score
Hello all,

Call me lazy for not searching this answer out on the forums, because I'm sure this topic has been discussed. I will be embarking on a flight to Hawaii at the end of the week and would love to take the drone to take some shots of the big island. I am writing today regarding the rules for travel. Should I check the drone or carry it on? Is it even allowed. I have two batteries and the DJI hard shell backpack. Please any information or experiences would be appreciated. I really don't feel like throwing batteries away in security.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Call me lazy for not searching this answer out on the forums, because I'm sure this topic has been discussed
You're correct, there's lots of info about the rules, especially with regards to US domestic travel, do a quick search. I'm Europe based but I have no problems when I pack the drone in my hold luggage and carry the batteries in my carry on.

I too am leaving for Maui this Saturday. Packing up everything as carry on baggage . Hawaiian Airlines does not have a problem with drones or batteries as long as they are kept safe from shorting out.
Lots of threads on this topic.

Searching the forms takes about 20 keystrokes and about 10 seconds. You ask other people to take the time out of their day to answer your question (even if they have already answered it for others).

Airlines have rules about lipo batteries they must be carry on. You should not have any issues as carry on. You may also want to place tape over the battery terminals. I've never done it though.

You're correct, there's lots of info about the rules, especially with regards to US domestic travel, do a quick search. I'm Europe based but I have no problems when I pack the drone in my hold luggage and carry the batteries in my carry on.

Do you or can you not carry the drone in on your carry on luggage.? And I don't just mean you personally I mean if I were to travel not sure I'd feel safe with the airport guys throwing my phantom into the suitcase store. Crushed Sprite go to mind lol

Funny I just called TSA with same question . They said was ok to carry on. Some concern with battery .Checked baggage gets tossed around a little more. I'll opt to carry

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Air Canada seems similar to the above European and American comments:
6e9e19c6667d21856831ccc1b6b6f626.jpg

I did a lot of research on this and did indeed 'carry on' my P3 to Maui Sept 2016. I have since 'carried it on' several times with different airlines with no issues. One time the drone bag was searched but normal protocol. I carry 4 batteries with P3P as carry on and no issues, other than sore shoulders. I also carry a small backpack as my 'personal' carry on that has my laptop for downloading footage.

The drone does 'not' have to be 'carry on' but the batteries MUST be carry on! Personally I would not check the drone, in danger of 'baggage smashers' , baggage handlers.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Searching the forms takes about 20 keystrokes and about 10 seconds. You ask other people to take the time out of their day to answer your question (even if they have already answered it for others).

Airlines have rules about lipo batteries they must be carry on. You should not have any issues as carry on. You may also want to place tape over the battery terminals. I've never done it though.

Wow. Easy... it's a forum. That's what you do on a forum.

Do you or can you not carry the drone in on your carry on luggage.? And I don't just mean you personally I mean if I were to travel not sure I'd feel safe with the airport guys throwing my phantom into the suitcase store. Crushed Sprite go to mind lol

It's perfectly fine to take the drone in the carry on luggage but it was a question of space for me. I was willing to take the risk with the phantom in the hold luggage as my SLR cameras in my carry on are worth considerably more than the phantom; -)

Reactions: Dazzauk and R30Rush
It's perfectly fine to take the drone in the carry on luggage but it was a question of space for me. I was willing to take the risk with the phantom in the hold luggage as my SLR cameras in my carry on are worth considerably more than the phantom; -)
I also check my drone, other stuff I must have in carry on due to value/fragility. I pack my drone hardshell case inside a larger piece of luggage, and pack around the hardshell with clothes, etc, and had no issue at all. (Have only done once so far, flying to the big island)

Hello all,

Call me lazy for not searching this answer out on the forums, because I'm sure this topic has been discussed. I will be embarking on a flight to Hawaii at the end of the week and would love to take the drone to take some shots of the big island. I am writing today regarding the rules for travel. Should I check the drone or carry it on? Is it even allowed. I have two batteries and the DJI hard shell backpack. Please any information or experiences would be appreciated. I really don't feel like throwing batteries away in security.

Thanks in advance!!

I am currently on Big Island for the next 4 weeks, if you find anything amazing, please let me know.

I also check my drone, other stuff I must have in carry on due to value/fragility. I pack my drone hardshell case inside a larger piece of luggage, and pack around the hardshell with clothes, etc, and had no issue at all. (Have only done once so far, flying to the big island)
Yes I forgot to add that my drone in my hold luggage is in its hard shell backpack

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic