Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Tips for painting Phantom shell?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by phantomguy, May 18, 2014.

1. phantomguy

Not much experience painting models and such, but would like any tips on painting so that it's a relatively durable finish that doesnt rub off easily, especially in the areas where your fingers grab/hold the phantom. Is sanding absolutely necessary?
    Thanks

2. Ozzyguy

Because the plastic is so smooth you may have to sand the surface to roughen it enough for the first coat of paint to hold. Go to a modelling shop and get advice on how to proceed and which particular paint to use. Take the phantom with you os the salesperson know the surface you'll be painting.

3. phantomguy

sounds like a plan. thanks

4. Cr8tive_leo

You don't have to sand.

Just use paint for plastics, it has the proper bonding agents in it to work, just make sure the surface is clean of any dirt or oils.

Fusion by Krylon is one such paint, there are others.

5. skysteve

Not everyone has heard of this but its worth a look and see what you think.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index ... d=PDL-0009

It is quite good to be fair and if you dont like it or fancy a change just peel it off.
    I have used it on car alloys and grills etc and its quite durable. Check out some reviews etc.

6. phantomguy

Totally forgot about plastidip. GREAT suggestion. Thanks!

7. MikesTooLz

if you go to your local hardware store or home improvement store they should have a spray paint by the Krylon brand called Fusion.

This fusion paint is maid to bond/fuse to plastic. No sanding or priming needed.

I have never painted a phantom (just got my first one) however I have used this fusion paint before on plastics and it works pretty good. I used them to Paint my Xbox-360 controllers as well as a few other things.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

8. Mal_PV2_Ireland

9. bpatty

Here is a project that have just completed. I used House Of Kolor automotive spray paints. Worked like a charm! Every piece of tape peeled of nicely, and decals went down flat. Everything was then clear coated. I change out the gray props when I fly just in case the light coat of paint might present a balance problem. Got the paint scheme idea from photos of 2 F-16's from a Texas Air Guard unit based in Houston. They have now switched over to drones. How ironic!!

Attached Files:

10. bpatty

Here is the second F-16 and the quad doing a engine "run-up".

Attached Files: