Tips for Newbies ......

Rumour in other forum's is that the P2 vision+ prop guards fit the P3. Can anyone confirm if that is correct or if there are different prop guards coming out for the P3. Thanks.

Prop guards are the same between P2 and P3. If you get third-party guards, make sure the screws aren't too long or they can disrupt/break the motors.

Prop guards are the same between P2 and P3. If you get third-party guards, make sure the screws aren't too long or they can disrupt/break the motors.
Thanks. That's great info. I will try to find some from DJI before going third party.

What else do you like to add to your flight log?

Sorry for the delay - I capture all weather conditions, time of day, location, which drone I am flying, specifically what I practice, any observations and conclusions from practice, any video/still subjects, camera settings (especially if experimenting with the settings), and really, anything of interest you want to capture. Some even document a flight plan prior to the mission.

Thanks. That's great info. I will try to find some from DJI before going third party.

I would recommend SummitLink prop guards, or another brand that allows you to remove the guards for transport. Just make sure they are sturdy as I've broken cheaper guards and had to replace them.

Thought it would be nice for new pilots to have a thread with some tips that might make this an entirely fun experience and prevent catastrophic event ......

First thing I did was to adjust my RTH altitude from the default 20 meters (60') to 50 Meters (150') ..... You need to make sure that you can clear any obstacles between the aircraft and "Home" .......m
Got mine in the states at B&H and the max alt was already set at 400 ft. But the real message here is DO EVERY STEP OF THE SETUP. The B&H video was really helpful for me.

Last edited:
Always calibrate! My second flight left was down and right was up, Up was left and left was invisible.. Has anyone seen My P3P?

Absolutely. ALWAYS calibrate. I do it even if I'm in the same general area, but more than 10 feet from where I last calibrated. Never had a bad flight.

Takeoff ...... don't baby it up ..... its more like at least half throttle til your 5-8' up ..... I've seen (me) more than one first flight crash during first takeoff .... There is an auto takeoff on the P3 but have not used it yet .....m

This is really about practice. They rarely take off straight up -- it's an aerodynamics thing -- with just the "collective". Use both sticks, VERY gradually increase rotor speed, watch for tilting and counteract with the right stick. Practice, practice, practice. Pretty soon you'll be able to take off and hover at a few inches. Important -- maybe. Feels good -- yup.

Develop the ability to hand catch verses surface level landing, it is less stress on your airframe , gimbal and camera. Just remember to stop recording before attempting to land or hand catch.

Absolutely. I always - almost - hand catch now. Impresses the audience and saves the equipment. But...not a great piloting demonstration. It's really just a matter of practicing dual stick control in tight spaces. You may need it someday, so work on it. It is possible to set these things down gently.

Is it better to store the P3 with the clear plastic gimbal guard re-installed, or without? Mine seems very tight to install and remove, and I worry that I may be stressing the gimbal more by using the guard. Also, thoughts on the little white foam elbow that was on the gimbal when shipped. Use or discard?

ALWAYS put the guards on. The gimbal is delicate, and the lens is small but you want to keep it clean when stored. It is a little tricky to slide on and off, but that's good -- you know the gimbal is really secure. Having it loose in storage risks impact that could bounce it against its stops as you carry it from place to place in whatever you use to store it.

This is really about practice. They rarely take off straight up -- it's an aerodynamics thing -- with just the "collective". Use both sticks, VERY gradually increase rotor speed, watch for tilting and counteract with the right stick. Practice, practice, practice. Pretty soon you'll be able to take off and hover at a few inches. Important -- maybe. Feels good -- yup.

That's the first time I've read anything like that and I could not disagree more. Especially as a tip for a beginner. To each his own.

Here's one I didn't see mentioned, RTFM. Then RTFM again.

Actually, the automatic takeoff feature works really well. It's good to know how to safely take off manually, but the auto take-off feature is the only automation I regularly use.

Autoland worked well the one time I tried it, but the P3 control is soooo precise that I've had no issues greasing landings. Very easy to bring it down slowly and precisely. Today I was practicing landing on a picnic table just to add some challenge.

Absolutely. I always - almost - hand catch now. Impresses the audience and saves the equipment. But...not a great piloting demonstration. It's really just a matter of practicing dual stick control in tight spaces. You may need it someday, so work on it. It is possible to set these things down gently.
When there's gusty wind conditions or an uneven surface underfoot hand catching is a must. I agree that practicing ground landings is necessary to learn tight and delicate stick movement and avoid panic when something unexpected happens. I've stumbled or had someone decide to bother me at the worst possible time! That's when learning to go up higher quickly will usually save the day. Flying a fully manually controlled quad for awhile before you fly something like the P3 is a smart move. I crashed my $50 quads many many times learning the basics. They are cheap and can take a beating...

Newbie here. Did my first flight today. After I sync my flights to the cloud can I log in from a computer and view them?

I wonder how many newbies reading this thread have omitted to include contact details somewhere on the body of their new aircraft. In the event of a forced landing or crash, the recoverer needs to know whom to contact.

The word 'Reward' along with the owners name, contact number and zip code may one day save some real heartache. Just saying.

i see a lot people talk about hand catch for landing. Is there any reason to not use the autoland function?

I fly on some construction sites, water, mud and dust are my enemies. Hand catching is a solution. In the winter, it's snow. Of course the wind chill under a Phantom is nearly unbearable.

Remember above eye level, protect yourself. Don't pull on the quad, it will fight you. Be consistent how and where you grab it.

I also hand catch and to what Buk said I catch with my arm up at roughly a 45deg angle so it well above my head and also stop the phantom 10 feet or so in front of you, make sure its steady and YOU WALK TO THE BIRD, DO NOT TRY AND BRING IT TO YOU.
Once you have a good grasp on one leg lower the throttle to full down and waits till the engines quit.

In regards to takeoff. A poster here says to take off gradually and that is just WRONG.
On the very first takeoff you might get use a little throttle to get it a little light and then use the right stick to see if Fwd,Back,Left,and right are working properly. Just tilt it ever so slightly to make sure the controls are in their proper orientation.
If you takeoff slowly gust could cause a tipover for one.
I takeoff with authority so it kinda jumps in the air to 4-6 feet let it stabilize for a sec or so the off to the races.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj