Tipping over upon landing

OK, I'm over it. Here is some useful information from someone on EBay. He has a relatively small boat he launches his P3P from. He regularly gets close ups of Big Whites! I was wondering if not having a stable platform would screw up initialization. No problems for him, and everybody reading this who owns a boat probably already knows this. He exclusively uses the "hand catch" landing method, which isn't a surprise. A strong, gusty wind, pitching boat landing, or a hand catch? LOL. It's actually a tribute to DJI that hand catching is so popular and easy -- the thing hovers so well in such a range of non-ideal conditions, it's amazing. Go DJI!

yeah, i learned the hard way. mine tipped but the left rear motor didn't receive the kill cmnd and overheated, melting the motor mounts in the arm. now i have to replace the motor and lower shell.
its safer just to catch it.

Holy cow that's awful. Man I was lucky to get off with some minor prop strikes in the grass no less, with the motors only being a tad to late. Reliably (Every time. LOL) a tad too late, but a motor not getting the kill command at all is a horror show. DJI needs to take this landing motor shut down method out of the manual. If they don't think they can come up with a better "emergency engine cut off method", only mention it there. Man that really sucks. I'm horrified.

Reactions: iflyhelis
Believe me. Do not use CSC to turn off props on Landing!.
Drone flipped on manual landing, props jammed on grass engines full blast trying to stabilise, screeching noise, tried turn off by throttle did not work, had to pull battery out, not confident enough in picking it up. some smoke out of 2 of the motors.
The good news however, the motors must have some circuit breaker, I let them rest till it cooled down and motors worked fine.
Yep. Exactly what happened to me with the screeching and smoke. Had to pull my battery out also. You definitely need to pull those motors off and check the mounts to see if they're not melted. If they are, your motors are off cant. I posted a pic if the inside of my arm on this thread. Very likely happened to yours.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: iflyhelis
Wow! Thanks for posting the problems and good advice on shutting down the P3S. I am patiently awaiting delivery of my P3S. First drone! This has been a good site to scour for info and tips.

Thanks to the people contributing!

Just realized I was in the wrong forum. Oh, well, the thank you still holds!

...Like their propeller department gets a % of propeller sales...

I love it. Way better than those idiots in the landing gear dept. who tried and failed to sneak in 'CSC landings should be performed at a minimum 10' altitude'

A CSC is only good for starting the motors.. When motors are running, a CSC command to shut them down is a certain recipe for a tip over. A CSC command is literally you telling the Phantom to yaw to the right and slam its left rear motor/prop into the ground. Or vice versa depending on if you turn the sticks inward or outward. Always use left stick down to shut down motors or hand catch..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Exactly ..... only if you can be exactly together with the two sticks and FAST will it work clean. Any slight twitch or one slightly more than other ... Bing Bang Bong ... over she goes !

Left stick down is the answer.

Nigel

I recently started hand catching my drone. I’ve been reading about it here for some time. I like it so much better. It is not difficult at all.

Just as a warning: From what I've read, it's very wise to replace your props if they have even minor looking nicks in them. These can become stress points. Since I know a catastrophic propeller failure is an instant catastrophe, I'm pretty **** about replacing props that don't look like new, but look like they'd probably be OK. Too much at stake IMHO.
YES..a small nick is where it will surely stress crack and that drone will fall Out of the sky bad !

I found a small hairline crack in a new factory prop!! I was getting motor warnings and the bird wouldn’t hover correctly. I finally looked at the props long enough and found the crack.

Oh, and I mostly hand catch now. It's SO easy. I grab the bird as close to the fuselage as possible, use the throttle back technique to stop, which is extra appropriate here, because one hand is occupied, and when the motors stop, I left it softly move to where it's hanging from my hand. I don't try to hold it level and stress the gear. EASY.

Yep I was reluctant at first but now I only hand catch. It’s the way to go for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers