Tip over on takeoff

Reaction score
Its happened to me 2 times now.

I launch with auto launch. Both were on windy days, but not excessive wind and i had other successful launches same day without problems

Anyone know the cause?

P4 ia fine, no crashes otherwise flying normal

Sent from my SM-N9208 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Three points:

1. Are u taking off from a flat, horizontal and stable platform?

2. Are all props ok?

3. Not very sure if RC sticks calibration matters in auto take off but it's worth calibrating them before taking off. Give me your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes, this is an issue on windy days. For some reason DJI has jacked up the idle speed of Phantom 4, higher than Phantom 3, which had less of an issue. This makes the P4 very easy to tip. To alleviate the issue, don't use auto takeoff. Just gas it, manually! Fly that bird! Go up 20' and then hover a few seconds before your mission. To land in wind is even more risky, which is why I always hand catch. Hand launching is a good option too, but I don't do that very much because you need a harness, and I don't like using my harness, it's just something else I need to mess with.

Its happened to me 2 times now.

I launch with auto launch. Both were on windy days, but not excessive wind and i had other successful launches same day without problems

Anyone know the cause?

P4 ia fine, no crashes otherwise flying normal

Sent from my SM-N9208 using PhantomPilots mobile app

simple, don't use auto launch
not needed and not as much fun as just giving it some gas and have it pop up to about 10-20 feet
let it settle , check it out and go...

I had that issue yesterday when flying. I ended up doing a hand launch which was the first time I tried that. Very easy to do and it really surprised me how strong the motors are.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Three points:

1. Are u taking off from a flat, horizontal and stable platform?

2. Are all props ok?

3. Not very sure if RC sticks calibration matters in auto take off but it's worth calibrating them before taking off. Give me your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes was just solid asphalt one time and thw other was off the back of my hardcase backpack

Props are undamaged never had a crash, always handcatch to land

Yes, this is an issue on windy days. For some reason DJI has jacked up the idle speed of Phantom 4, higher than Phantom 3, which had less of an issue. This makes the P4 very easy to tip. To alleviate the issue, don't use auto takeoff. Just gas it, manually! Fly that bird! Go up 20' and then hover a few seconds before your mission. To land in wind is even more risky, which is why I always hand catch. Hand launching is a good option too, but I don't do that very much because you need a harness, and I don't like using my harness, it's just something else I need to mess with.

So if i understand it correctly what's happening is that the phantom is doing an Idol spin and in doing so create a bit of lift and with a gust of wind it topples over

And the solution is to always manuallly lift off at full throttle?

I.m curious then if anyone has ever had a flip over when taking off manually

Hand launching looks dicey to me, i.d rather the phantom topple over from ground level that head level... and maybe take out my face in the process

...hand catching on the other hand is super easy as the phantom is rock solid

simple, don't use auto launch
not needed and not as much fun as just giving it some gas and have it pop up to about 10-20 feet
let it settle , check it out and go...
I think that seems to be consensus opinion, i.ll just manual launch fr now on

So if i understand it correctly what's happening is that the phantom is doing an Idol spin and in doing so create a bit of lift and with a gust of wind it topples over

And the solution is to always manuallly lift off at full throttle?

I.m curious then if anyone has ever had a flip over when taking off manually

Hand launching looks dicey to me, i.d rather the phantom topple over from ground level that head level... and maybe take out my face in the process

...hand catching on the other hand is super easy as the phantom is rock solid

not sure about full throttle but definitely a good pop on the gas to get it up quickly acouple of feet
it is supper easy and in about 1000 total flights I never saw them even think about doing anything but up

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj