Tip for taking off straight

Reaction score
I'm new to R/C flight and the Phantom.

The first few flights I had, I was overly careful throttling up. Had a couple of tip-overs which damaged the props. (especially when the Phantom was on a hard surface).

I've learnt to push the throttle up firmly and get the craft quickly off the ground and then make any adjustments to keep it vertical thereafter.

Attitude control doesn't kick in nicely till you are a foot or two off ground....

I've had nitro helicopters in my past and that's one of the things I've noticed with the phantom, is it's the lack of power/thrust off idle, which makes it a little twitchy. So I always give full throttle to lift off, then back it off once off the ground. I think newbies that have never flown a helicopter or quad, are a little bit apprehensive and are maybe too cautious when taking off. But its just a matter of gaining experience and confidence. Compared to all the other helicopters I have ever owned, the Phantom is by far the easiest to fly. :D

Yea I also try to give the throttle a big hard push but the "auto take off" function of the Phantom tries to keep the whole affair smooth and it can be a worry sometimes as the thing staggers off the pad.
My DJI Wookong brained UAP-1 is much better, DJI decided to give the pilot more power at take off, that leaps into the air like a shocked cat if decide to let it.

I wish there was some way of disabling the auto takeoff feature DJI added to the firmware, but I find it easy enough to just give it 100% throttle until its about a foot off the ground. You can then ease off and control it from there quite easily, my heavy 1.3kg 3D setup is a little front heavy so if I was to use the slow launch it would struggle. Get it up quick the first bit and then its very stable from then on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik