Tip for new pilots

Reaction score
Thought this might be a useful tip. When flying my Phantom at distance over country side I find it quite easy to lose orientation. Once it goes past 400 ft I can't make out in daylight where the lights are on the aircraft and looking at the display it can at times be hard to get a point of reference. I bought a cheap super bright LED miniature bike light which has a flash setting which I sit on my Phantom carry case and having tested it it is visible in daylight at over 800mtrs. All I do now is look for the flashing red light on my display (iPhone 6) and then I know the phantom is pointing at me. It only cost £3.99 for two lights, it runs on watch batteries and is tiny so I just keep in the back pack with the phantom. Hope this helps.

efbe081f4f6d136cb705a079f39f9271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I find it quite easy to lose orientation. Once it goes past 400 ft I can't make out in daylight where the lights are on the aircraft and looking at the display it can at times be hard to get a point of reference.

The map in the left corner will always show the orientation or direction the drone is flying:

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 419
  • Capture2a.JPG
    Capture2a.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 404
Yes, the radar display does indeed show orientation but on a iPhone 6 it is quite small and I find the red flashing light is a very simple way to flag up where home as it is often simpler to use your eyes. It is just the same principle as a commercial airport or heli pad which has blinking lights so that pilots can easily find them even though they have instruments to guide them.

Yes, the radar display does indeed show orientation but on a iPhone 6 it is quite small and I find the red flashing light is a very simple way to flag up where home as it is often simpler to use your eyes. It is just the same principle as a commercial airport or heli pad which has blinking lights so that pilots can easily find them even though they have instruments to guide them.

So why not supply a link?

Great idea. I was thinking of a flourescent orange panel or safety vest, but this idea is better.

Hi Jason, you can buy these from any cycle shop for a few £'s so did not see the need to post a link. I bought mine from Maplins but Halfords sell them as well as do most DIY stores

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers