Timelapse / Interval Timer rate in RAW photo mode

Reaction score
Anyone know what the shortest interval between shots when shooting stills in RAW? I have a Mavic Pro and it is 10 seconds (It will go down to 1 second in JPEG mode). Wondering what if it is lower for RAW on the P4Pro.

5 seconds.. Just asked this question the other day and I finally have my P4P and I can attest it is 5 seconds. Good enough for a time lapse.

It is indeed 5 seconds and unless you're moving ungodly slow or doing a stationary time lapse with no fast moving objects (traffic) it's too slow. I typically shoot hyperlapse shots in jpg at 2 second interval.

I don't like the effect of simply speeding up a video vs the timed shots. I've used sped up video stabilized in resolve, but the actual time lapse shots look much better.

The MS program does a bit more than that. It offers stabilization and lens correction, as well. But I understand what you are saying.

The MS program can still be used with individual shots. I haven't tried it yet though.

With my P4P I can set interval timer to 3 seconds and record 20 megapixel images. At 2 seconds it will work ok for several shots and then takes a breather before taking the next timed shot. I presume this relates to the write speed of the SD card and buffering occurring within the system.

With my P4P I can set interval timer to 3 seconds and record 20 megapixel images. At 2 seconds it will work ok for several shots and then takes a breather before taking the next timed shot. I presume this relates to the write speed of the SD card and buffering occurring within the system.

You must have something wrong with your SD card or are using one that isn't up to snuff. I've done 500+ photo 2 second time lapses with no issues.

You must have something wrong with your SD card or are using one that isn't up to snuff. I've done 500+ photo 2 second time lapses with no issues.
Have you shot that many at one time shooting in RAW for your stills?

Since 2 seconds is the best lapse time for moving objects or moving the drone, you're pretty much stuck with jpeg no matter what.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Since 2 seconds is the best lapse time for moving objects or moving the drone, you're pretty much stuck with jpeg no matter what.
Gotcha. Makes sense anyway if your doing one of much length at all. Raw is gonna need to write to fast for this bird at 2 seconds I guess. But j-pegs are fine for this type stuff too.

I am not talking about time-lapse photography at a single location. I am talking about timed photography where the drone is moving at a constant speed so shots should be spaced evenly.

In the former case, you wouldn't notice whether shots were taken at a precisely constant rate. In my case shot spacing was something like 2.0, 2.0, 2.0, 2.1, 2.3, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, 2.0 etc. so photos were not taken the same distance apart. If I adjusted the interval time to 3 secs, then shot spacing became 3.0, 3.0, 3.0, 3.0 etc.

Sounds like a buffering issue to me.

Reactions: turfstuf and AyeYo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav