"Timed Shot" - very limited interval

Reaction score
I was was already surpised when I tested my Inspire 1 Pro a year ago. While it is capable to record 4K video, it cannot shoot more than one image every two seconds.

Now I must learn that the exact same limitation applies for the P4P too.
Why?

Why is it possible to record a 4K / 60 frames video and, at the same time, it takes 2 seconds to process/store one single still image (jpg). Even worse, when it comes to RAW/DNG: The minimm interval is then set to 5 seconds...

The SD card cannot be the limiting factor, that's the only thing I know for sure.

(With my 6 years old Olympus E-M5 camera I can shoot 2 images or more every second for an unlimited time, using average-speed SD cards.)

Simple answer is a video frame contains about a tenth of the information that a still image has. If you ever compared a single video frame against a still image you'll see how poor it really is. A TV is pretty poor on quality against some high resolution printer where you can see individual strands of hair which is almost impossible to see on a 4K TV.

Plus, the rolling shutter for video takes about 1/10 second to scan a video frame even though your shutter speed might be set to 1/8000 sec. Try to do that time with a video frame to equal a still resolution would make it about a second or slower with the buffering.

More explanation is here: Camera/Still Resolution vs Video Resolution

Reactions: maseman88
Thanks for your explanantion.

I'm not expecting a 60 shots per second frame rate for 20 MP still images, of course. But maybe 1 or 2 images per second, that's feasible and pretty common, even for lower-end compact cams.
Example: "Canon ELPH 350 HS's max continuous shooting speed is 2.1fps slower than the average Compact camera shooting speed."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20