Time to operate on my PV...yikes

Reaction score
Well I banged up a motor and while the thing still flies it emits smoke nasty vibrations that are wrecking my video quality. It also sounds rough. I used a mechanics stethoscope and a seismograph app that I found due to the awesome group on this forum. The app showed me clearly which motor was giving me a problem. So today I have 2 tasks.

1. I gotta take out the bad motor and inspect it to see if there is anything obvious that can be rectified. If not I'll just go down to
AerialmediaPros where I bought it and grab a new motor. I'm not the best at soldering but I think I have enough knowledge to
manage it.

2. I also have to try and calibrate the controls...again for the third time. After upgrading to the new software both in the controller and the PV it now drifts back and to the right. It will not hover steady like it did before without me counteracting the movement on the sticks. Frustrating and it makes it a handful to fly. Im going to be winging it. As another member pointed out it would be nice to have trim options on the radio. Then it would be simple. Hopefully I can figure it out in the software.

Wish me luck. If you have any good tips for either dilemma ...this newb is all ears. Thanks.

James

Go on YouTube and look up some software tutorial... They're up there... Also tutorials for soldering...

You Can Do It!

*****mid project update*******

Well the PV is super easy to get apart to work on. The bearings in the motor however are not. Those S O Bs are in there so thigh they feel link they are welded in!! Unlike the you tube videos I watch where they pop right out mine aren't budging a bit. I put my 230lb mass into it and nothin. Dang. Well for 25 bucks Ill just replace it.

I did locate the bad bearing. The little devil on the top of the motor is rough. Not crazy rough but hopefully thats whats causing the vibration in my video. I'll replace it today and see.

James.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 525
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 534
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 470
got the new motor but hesitant to put it in. Feels a little different when I spin it. As far as I can tell its identical. 2 different guys at AMP state that they are "pretty" sure that these motors are interchangeable with the P1 and PV. Any one know 100% sure?

Attachments

• photo 5-1.JPG
    photo 5-1.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 460
  • photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 443
  • photo 4-1.JPG
    photo 4-1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 437
Also noticed this. When I rotate the old motor top/outer housing there is a gap that fluctuates as its spun. The new motor housing is perfect. This no doubt is a lot of the problem. I will have to compress the video or put on youtube to show.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 7.09.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 7.09.04 PM.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 490
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    324.3 KB · Views: 430
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    341.8 KB · Views: 544

Recent Posts

Members online