Time to connect to satellites.....

Reaction score
I set my P2V on the ground for take-off, turn on repeater, controller, phone, quad and get the phone connected and the app running. Then I wait for 6 satellites and green. I can get three, wait, four, wait, five, wait, four, wait, three, wait, zero, wait, three, wait, five, wait, four, wait, five, wait, six, wait to see if they will hold, no, back to five, wait, six, wait, they held, take off. This can and has taken as long as 19 minutes! While waiting for 6 to hold, I can loose 5% of the battery according to the display on the phone. Motors are NOT running.
So, how long do you have to wait for 6 satellites?
Is this wait time normal?
:?:

Less than a minute for me too. I get between 8 - 12 sats.

It should go pretty quick, although sometimes I power down and move to a more open area and try again. I'd say anywhere from 1 to five minutes most of the time for me. If this is a new problem for you, and if you've crashed at all, you might want to look into the GPS antenna. It is located in the top of the shell and has been known to crack. Not sure what the OEM part costs, but I know I saw a thread on here where someone found an identical replacement for dirt cheap.

Depends where you are.. GPS coverage gets progressively worse as you get further north. Also -- how clear a sky view do you have at your take off site.
Use a program like orbitron to show the satellites in view, and where they are in your sky...

Happyflyer said:
I set my P2V on the ground for take-off, turn on repeater, controller, phone, quad and get the phone connected and the app running. Then I wait for 6 satellites and green. I can get three, wait, four, wait, five, wait, four, wait, three, wait, zero, wait, three, wait, five, wait, four, wait, five, wait, six, wait to see if they will hold, no, back to five, wait, six, wait, they held, take off. This can and has taken as long as 19 minutes! While waiting for 6 to hold, I can loose 5% of the battery according to the display on the phone. Motors are NOT running.
So, how long do you have to wait for 6 satellites?
Is this wait time normal?
:?:

since doing the update the same thing is happening to me before the update I got 6 in less then a min now I cant even get 4 and that flying from the same place and when I do get 6 it wont stay lock on

My Vision Plus definitely seems to take longer to find enough to lock home than than the P1, about two minutes most times.
It seems more affected by being near any building or trees too.
Having said that I was surprised it eventually found 6 in the house while turned on doing some tests with the camera.

This site shows that most days there is at least one period of an hour or so where less than six are available here - worth bookmarking.
http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/

Lets not forget that sunspots or flares can also cause problems.
that is why I have the solar alert app on my iPhone and it pushes notices when there is activity that might cause problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 264

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl