Tilted horizon

Wow, that's alot of people with the exact same issue....... Very disheartening........

Dave
The are only supposed to be two plastic pins -- on one opposite corners--- that is the way it was designed

Reactions: Oso
The are only supposed to be two plastic pins -- on one opposite corners--- that is the way it was designed
Wait...... What......? I thought that was a mistake? It really is only meant to have 2? Then why does it have holes for 4?

Dave

Wait...... What......? I thought that was a mistake? It really is only meant to have 2? Then why does it have holes for 4?

Dave
Yes, there are only supposed to be two of the pins in place just like it was when delivered. Some people use loosely fitted tie wraps.

Reactions: dkyacht
Wow, that's alot of people with the exact same issue....... Very disheartening........

Dave
Yes, there are many people with the exact same issue. Lots of threads on it here and in the DJI forum. Tahoe_Ed has noted that DJI is aware and working on it, but as you may have read in other threads the problem has existed even before the P3 and also on the Inspire. The thought there is that if they can't fix it on the Inspire, they probably can't fix it on the much cheaper Phantom. I still hold out some hope however, though I dont really expect to ever have a 360 degree level horizon.

Yes, there are only supposed to be two of the pins in place just like it was when delivered. Some people use loosely fitted tie wraps.
Ok I just removed the other 2, but again why are there 4 connection points? Does that actually affect anything if you used all 4?

Dave

Ok I just removed the other 2, but again why are there 4 connection points? Does that actually affect anything if you used all 4?

Dave
From what I read in the forums, more than two can introduce jello in video. I have never tested it by adding more.

Bud - if you have a chance, check out this post in one of the "tilt" threads:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...f-the-tilted-horizon.47326/page-4#post-459641
I had looked at this post a while back. Can't tell much from the video, but the narrative says that the poster's tilt problem is evident in the east/west direction and is intermittent. Not much to be gained from this observation to determine if the tilt is related to errors in the geomagnetic inclination value.

What would be significant is several observations exhibiting tilt while facing east/west. That or, a single observation where tilt occurs in a non east/west direction. The latter would pretty much mean that tilt is not related to errors in the geomagnetic inclination value.

Ok so I'm not sure if I'm just a moron and missed it or its something that's different since the update but I think it's fixed. I started with the gimbal calibration, then the imu, and finished with doing the compass. As soon as I clicked the gimbal calibration you could see the live camera screen behind the menu snap level then finish the process. I'll fly it some more over the next few days and see if it sticks.....

I should add that I did all this stuff before the update with no luck.

Dave

First IMU and then Gimbal calibration.
I also had a tilted horizon
But since the latest firmware and a IMU calibration and then a Gimbal calibration my problem is solved.

Marnix

I had looked at this post a while back. Can't tell much from the video, but the narrative says that the poster's tilt problem is evident in the east/west direction and is intermittent. Not much to be gained from this observation to determine if the tilt is related to errors in the geomagnetic inclination value.

What would be significant is several observations exhibiting tilt while facing east/west. That or, a single observation where tilt occurs in a non east/west direction. The latter would pretty much mean that tilt is not related to errors in the geomagnetic inclination value.
But if the former then that would indicate the tilt data is oddly not derived from the accelerometers in the IMU. Is that the gist of what you're thinking?

But if the former then that would indicate the tilt data is oddly not derived from the accelerometers in the IMU. Is that the gist of what you're thinking?
I'd prefer to wait until, and if, it's determined that tilt problems are correlated with east/west direction before trying to determine a causal relationship. The gimbal has to be using IMU data to correct for the pitch and roll actions of the P3. Most of the pitch and roll actions are not in the geomagnetic inclination plane.

Sorry to be a burden but I have another question about the tilt problem. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't seem to have the tilt problem or I could answer this for myself. Apparently there is a way to adjust the tilt angle in flight? If this used and it fixes the tilt facing one direction does it fix it facing all directions?

Dave
There are four connection points because there are 4 rubber dampers to absorb the vibration. But due to the design criteria of those dampers that do not provide enough holding force for the camera and gimbal in the case of a crash or hard landing, so the engineers decided to place two safety pins to take that force if it occurred to help prevent the camera from completely disconnecting in the hard landing or crash event.

There are four connection points because there are 4 rubber dampers to absorb the vibration. But due to the design criteria of those dampers that do not provide enough holding force for the camera and gimbal in the case of a crash or hard landing, so the engineers decided to place two safety pins to take that force if it occurred to help prevent the camera from completely disconnecting in the hard landing or crash event.
If you use all four, you probably will induce vibration to your camera and cause a jello effect in your recordings.

Well that was short lived..... Not that I'm surprised but the tilt is back.....

Dave

I'm having a horizon tilt issue after my P3 fell about 20 feet after losing a propeller. The horizon is always tilted to the left by about 15 degrees but when I yaw 90 degrees or more ( either direction ) it levels out briefly and then gradually tilts back. My P2v+ had a tilt problem after a minor crash which I fixed mechanically. Not sure that would help in this case. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl