Tilted Horizon: Firmware or Hardware Issue?

For the interested: A few days ago I decided to contact my dealer from which I bought it and told them my story, just to see what they had to say since I was still within the 14 day return window. They responded within 20 minutes saying that it sounded like I received a faulty gimbal, and offered me a brand new replacement. I decided to take it seeing as despite my fairly successful efforts in levelling the camera, it still tended to point off to the right a little.

Have yet to receive the new unit, but talk about A+ customer service! :)
If it's terrible then maybe a return is worth it. I returned mine only to get a bird that was a biatch to update, even DJI rep told me to return it! Lol. The new bird is exactly the same, except it has about 20hrs less flight time on it. So was it worth it? I got a SD card and 4 props and a bird with 20 less hrs, so yeah ok, but it wasn't the fix I was led to think would work.

Again, I know it might piss ppl off, but those who say they have none, aren't doing a lot of flying, aren't capable of noticing, don't care, or simply flat out being untruthful. Because it's a real and present problem, luckily it's not so bad I returned it for a refund. I do hold out hope it'll be addressed, but every day I look for an update, the longer it goes, the less I feel they care. I'm into the UAVs now, but my options are open, I've never been a fanboy, I go with the best tech available at the time, if the next Yuneek "H" is as good as it can be, I'll be an adopter.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey it's now a flat Earth ... didn't you hear ? ... lol !!!

If it's terrible then maybe a return is worth it. I returned mine only to get a bird that was a biatch to update, even DJI rep told me to return it! Lol. The new bird is exactly the same, except it has about 20hrs less flight time on it. So was it worth it? I got a SD card and 4 props and a bird with 20 less hrs, so yeah ok, but it wasn't the fix I was led to think would work.

Again, I know it might piss ppl off, but those who say they have none, aren't doing a lot of flying, aren't capable of noticing, don't care, or simply flat out being untruthful. Because it's a real and present problem, luckily it's not so bad I returned it for a refund. I do hold out hope it'll be addressed, but every day I look for an update, the longer it goes, the less I feel they care. I'm into the UAVs now, but my options are open, I've never been a fanboy, I go with the best tech available at the time, if the next Yuneek "H" is as good as it can be, I'll be an adopter.

Yea I hear ya ... from what I've seen looking around DJI does have a group on it working out firmware and have said it's not easy getting all the P4 modules to talk and work well together. Have to wait and see ... I had an unfortunate fly away first dam flight with mine but as I look back ... fairly, I was up too high at the time and should have known better and it was IMHO a firmware glitch plus some error on my part ... Yep ole Chiefy aint as sharp as he one was :)

End of day DJI is getting me another P4 but I need to pay about $900 bucks ... they did say they were also working on a new program to handle those with fly-aways. More of a "treat everyone the same" kinda approach ... I think.

These guys are no fools and run at / along the edge, its unfortunate though how they handle (ignore sometimes) well known and documented issues to the customer and even their own front line support ... while at the same time have an engineering team working to fix the problem. In this world of trade secrets, corporate engineering knowledge vs keeping happy customers it can't be an easy thing to manage. On a more positive note ... has anyone heard anything at all about the Phantom 5 or Phantom 4.x ????

Will there be a P5, What Tech could they add ... all good :)

Last edited:
Yea I hear ya ... from what I've seen looking around DJI does have a group on it working out firmware and have said it's not easy getting all the P4 modules to talk and work well together. Have to wait and see ... I had an unfortunate fly away first dam flight with mine but as I look back ... fairly, I was up too high at the time and should have known better and it was IMHO a firmware glitch plus some error on my part ... Yep ole Chiefy aint as sharp as he one was :)

End of day DJI is getting me another P4 but I need to pay about $900 bucks ... they did say they were also working on a new program to handle those with fly-aways. More of a "treat everyone the same" kinda approach ... I think.

These guys are no fools and run at / along the edge, its unfortunate though how they handle (ignore sometimes) well known and documented issues to the customer and even their own front line support ... while at the same time have an engineering team working to fix the problem. In this world of trade secrets, corporate engineering knowledge vs keeping happy customers it can't be an easy thing to manage. On a more positive note ... has anyone heard anything at all about the Phantom 5 or Phantom 4.x ????

Will there be a P5, What Tech could they add ... all good :)

Please let's not go there with the 'working on it'... The P3 has the same **** problem and they were always 'working on a fix' LOL

Lol just noticed tilted horizon on the very first Typhoon H video I watched

Lol just noticed tilted horizon on the very first Typhoon H video I watched

Thats interesting ... does it have same issue I wonder ?

Thats interesting ... does it have same issue I wonder ?
It was the only video I watched, and the very first one Had a tilted horizon, this leads me to believe it's a much harder issue to fix then we know, it's possible it's overly technical and both hardware and software related. I will say this, when I saw the Typhoon H's flying I was a little envious, dang I like the TX and the way it looks, when I saw the tilted horizon, I felt much better lol. I don't know if that's right to feel that way, I personally would love to have a typhoon H

I still think it's firmware, the gimbal will go were it's told to go, it's not getting the right info. They will eventually get it right.(soon I hope)

I still think it's firmware, the gimbal will go were it's told to go, it's not getting the right info. They will eventually get it right.(soon I hope)
Yeah I tend to agree with that. The specs on this gimbal are really good, too bad the software is ****.

I did the Calibration that's in the Assistant app and my tilt is drastically reduced to where roll setting is now only -0.3. I did it in tandem with the firmware update so not sure if it's directly related, but just throwing it out there.

I did the Calibration that's in the Assistant app and my tilt is drastically reduced to where roll setting is now only -0.3. I did it in tandem with the firmware update so not sure if it's directly related, but just throwing it out there.
The problem with manually adjusting the gimbal chop is that once done, it screws up the adjustment for any other direction afterwards, at least that's my and about every other persons experience. Sure it's kinda nice to be able to quick adjust thru C2 button being long pressed, for that direction or shot, prolly for beginners it hobbyists like myself more then pros, when their shot gets screwed up it likely easier to fix it in post, vs having all the other (yawed from point of quick fix) shots being way off once used.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
The uneven camera to the horizon is happening to me as well. I guess the only positive thing is that I am new to the P4 and just bought it and this is the 4th one I've had. I will KEEP RETURNING the drones until I get one that does not have an uneven camera. Not for that kind of money.

And just so everyone's aware. BUY THE DRONE's FROM BEST BUY. they have a GREAT return policy. It should only take you a few days to see if there is anything wrong with the drone. They will take it back, no problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20