Tilt Control IS Enabled Ch. 7 for 3.08 SOLVED -really!

So get this, DJI is telling me the PV2+ with the lever in the back is not supported, I opened a ticket with them last night when we were having issues. So what do you think is the update made just for the new controller and that is why if you update the zem it acts the way it does or does the left foot not know what the right foot is doing??
btw I replied with this:
I think you are mistaken, when you load the new app it actually now has a place where you can pick the new pv2+ controller or the now older pv2+ controller. Can you please have someone confirm this?
Sam

see email below:

Dear Sam,

The X1 is not supposed to work for that unit. I do apologize for this inconvenience.

DJI Technology Customer Service

Admin n_3.
Admin n_3.0 (DJI Technology)
Oct 28 15:18

Products: Phantom 2 Vision+ with Extra Battery
Name: XXXXXXXX
Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dealers: XXXXXXXX
Tel: XXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Latest update major issue....
Message: When you load the latest updates to the PV2+ and run v3.4 of the software there is no way to calibrate the X1 channel for the the lever. If you open the software you see the place to calibrate it but as soon as you connect the Phantom it disappears. Right now there is only about 25% movement of the camera due to this.

Please advise

DJI Technology, LLC.
Admin n_3.0

So if somebody made a self centering spring loaded 7th Channel lever it would work perfectly?

At some point doing my updates yesterday I managed to find a feature in assist software to slow down the tilt of the camera (using the app, I don't have a tilt lever I and did not go into the advanced controller setting), and it's working nicely but I can't find it now??

Tahoe Ed said:
I spent most of the day testing the new firmware. If you downloaded the firmware yesterday, please upgrade the Zen IMU today even if it does not show an upgrade. I tested with both the new Tx and the old Tx with a rear slider. Both work well. I did note that with the old Tx the tilt on the app is disabled, however, with the new Tx both the knob and the app work the tilt. Small difference but for some it may be important.

It makes sense that with the old switch the app tilt would have to be disabled. With the new tilt wheel, it centers and alters tilt only when you hold it to one side of the other. Since it is always centered, the app controls can work with it. But with the old tilt switch, the switch stays where you put it, so the switch & app would be constantly battling for control, so they disabled app control.

AsiaFlyer said:
So if somebody made a self centering spring loaded 7th Channel lever it would work perfectly?

At some point doing my updates yesterday I managed to find a feature in assist software to slow down the tilt of the camera (using the app, I don't have a tilt lever I and did not go into the advanced controller setting), and it's working nicely but I can't find it now??

On a side note, I have the tilt lever installed. If you want to slow down the rate of movement do the following:

I did some calibration with the x1 channel and made it tilt slower and smoothly.
It will only work with the "UPGRADE MODE" and will impair the "BASIC MODE" range of movement.

What I did was remove the restriction and made the lever move from 10am to 2pm instead of 11am to 1pm. When the restrictor is installed. This now lowers the sensitivity and moves at a nice steady pace. The problem is that if you switch to "BASIC", the camera only has a small range and will never look fully up or fully down.

I hope this makes sense..

I updated everything today and was able to calibrate the X1 with my old tx and aftermarket lever. It recognized the lever extents without me having to push the lever past the "hump" on the side. I wasn't able to fly my p2vp but everything seemed to work good. I can stop the lever at any point and the camera tilt coincides. The only issue I had with the upgrade was with the battery update... I now have to power on the battery for the charger to recognize it. Not a huge issue but a little confusing. That's for another thread though...

Mako79 said:
AsiaFlyer said:

On a side note, I have the tilt lever installed. If you want to slow down the rate of movement do the following:

I did some calibration with the x1 channel and made it tilt slower and smoothly.
It will only work with the "UPGRADE MODE" and will impair the "BASIC MODE" range of movement.

What I did was remove the restriction and made the lever move from 10am to 2pm instead of 11am to 1pm. When the restrictor is installed. This now lowers the sensitivity and moves at a nice steady pace. The problem is that if you switch to "BASIC", the camera only has a small range and will never look fully up or fully down.

I hope this makes sense..

this works great, good catch now im 90% ok with the control lever

Ok, here's the deal as I see it.

The original Pot is a 5K linear taper

In "Basic Version", the pot behaves in "absolute" mode. That is, the position of the tilt extremes correlates with the extremes of the pot. Set the pot anywhere in it's range, and the tilt matches the setting and stops.

In "Upgrade Version". the pot behaves in what I will call "progressive" mode. That is, the center of the pot travel is stop. rotate it cw or ccw from there, the up / down speed of the tilt gets progressively faster the further you get from center. To stop, the pot must return to center. This is great for a slow and graceful, or really fast tilt, but if you don't return it to center, the tilt continues.

Think RC car steering control here..

It is subjective which one will suit you best.

Having said all that, if you prefer Upgrade Version behavior, a spring-to-center pot is ridiculously expensive. I am working on a DIY spring-to-center mod for a standard $3.00 pot.

CapnBob said:

Having said all that, if you prefer Upgrade Version behavior, a spring-to-center pot is ridiculously expensive. I am working on a DIY spring-to-center mod for a standard $3.00 pot.

I found this on an old printer. Going to modify it so that it springs to the centre.. might beat your $3 mod.
spring%20load.jpg

CapnBob said:

The original Pot is a 5K linear taper

In "Basic Version", the pot behaves in "absolute" mode. That is, the position of the tilt extremes correlates with the extremes of the pot. Set the pot anywhere in it's range, and the tilt matches the setting and stops.

In "Upgrade Version". the pot behaves in what I will call "progressive" mode. That is, the center of the pot travel is stop. rotate it cw or ccw from there, the up / down speed of the tilt gets progressively faster the further you get from center. To stop, the pot must return to center. This is great for a slow and graceful, or really fast tilt, but if you don't return it to center, the tilt continues.

Think RC car steering control here..

It is subjective which one will suit you best.

Hi Bob,
Too late for me too as I had upgraded to 1.0.0.6 before reading the edit on the topic.
Anyway, may be this behaviour is finally the most easy to handle when flying (turning a pot/wheel is less linear / smooth).

Regarding the spring-to-center pot, there are low-cost joysticks on ebay which could fit. 10k instead of 4.7 ... but does it really matter ? not sure for such way of using it !
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/2-Axis-10K-J...ance_DJ_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c40f94d4c

Mako79 said:
CapnBob said:

I found this on an old printer. Going to modify it so that it springs to the centre.. might beat your $3 mod.
spring%20load.jpg

Beta test.
It works but i need a stronger spring load. It needs a little persuasion to move back to centre.
Now don't flame me on the 7th channel install. Ebay sent me the one with the black shaft, even though the shorter silver shaft was pictured in the listing. The incorrect longer shaft worked in my favour for this mod. I used the FCC/CE pot hole as an achor point.

Spring%20Load%20mod.jpg

For this mod to work, you need to have it on 'upgrade' control mode. The lever will need to be over-calibrated to 10am and 2pm for this to work. Doing the over calibration re-adjusts the sensitivity. If you look closely in the youtube vid, the X1 channel only has a tiny range.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKiwv3Hhqo[/youtube]

I do not want to hijack this thread, but I've removed the pod, added 2 the same resistors and a 3 way switch (on-off-on). **

It's for my Phantom Vision, but this might also work for you guys.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ubFwcpr4A[/youtube]

More info? Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28434&start=50#p261955

** Removing the pod and adding resistors might not even be needed as all it needs is a small pulse to move.
Run the 3 wires directly from the pod on the PCB to the 3 way switch.
When doing this make sure the pod on the PCB is set to the middle!

Noël said:
I do not want to hijack this thread, but I've removed the pod, added 2 the same resistors and a 3 way switch (on-off-on). **

It's for my Phantom Vision, but this might also work for you guys.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ubFwcpr4A[/youtube]

More info? Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28434&start=50#p261955

** Removing the pod and adding resistors might not even be needed as all it needs is a small pulse to move.
Run the 3 wires directly from the pod on the PCB to the 3 way switch.
When doing this make sure the pod on the PCB is set to the middle!

That's fine for the lever; I was referring to a separate rotary pot with a knob, which I feel may give better control in the "progressive" mode. Sort of like a center-sprung volume control, except it controls the direction AND speed of the tilt.

I used to have the separate rotary pot with a knob like you have (only shorter), and used to love it when it was still working (after running the special patch).

I decided yesterday to change to the way I'm doing now as I could not get the "old" setup to work correct. (did not know about it needed to be centered)

Your solution looks like a nice way to tackle the "center" problem.
Are you sure that you can also change the speed of it going up/down? I did not see this in your video.

Arghhh... has anyone found a way to downgrade the Zen-IMU firmware from 1.0.0.6?
I read the howto post too late ;(

Ok just to reiterate if you use the new updates assistant 3.4
IOS. App 1.0.42 or 1.0.43
Firmware 3.08

The 7th channel lever will work! as well as the app arrows, if you check the upgraded controller.
The arrows will only work on app however if the lever is in a centered position. But you may use both just center the lever. Also on this option if you calibrate the lever by taking off the stop plate do your calibration and then replace the stop plate it you get a much smoother and little slower tilt.
If you chose to want to only use the app arrows, then just check basic version for your controller and all works as it did before.
Yes would be nice to have the basic version run the 7th channel lever without the center position stop but hey at least they threw us a bone. ;)

CapnBob said:

In "Upgrade Version". the pot behaves in what I will call "progressive" mode. That is, the center of the pot travel is stop. rotate it cw or ccw from there, the up / down speed of the tilt gets progressively faster the further you get from center.

The terms "position mode" and "rate mode" are used in documentation for other gimbals. I don't know if those are standard terms in the R/C world or not, though.

-- Roger

Just so people are aware DJI support is sticking to the response that the PV2+ controller is not supported, just the new one. I am swapping emails with them now about it since when you are in the software it shows a pic of the controller and even lists the part number (PVT581) in v3.4 as being supported.
I also asked if it is possible to downgrade the zen imu back for people who got screwed, I will let eveyone know when i hear back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic