tile to help find runaways

Ksc

Reaction score
http://www.thetileapp.com

think this will help? I dont think anyone would actually be kind enough to call and say "hey I found your $500 phantom" but if you use this with a garmin tracker that gets you close to the phantom, this is small and light enough to add so you can make it ring and tell you where it is.

Ordered one, supposed to come this fall. Still in development, but cheap and if it works as hyped it will be a light and cheap accessory.

Ksc said:
http://www.thetileapp.com

think this will help? I dont think anyone would actually be kind enough to call and say "hey I found your $500 phantom" but if you use this with a garmin tracker that gets you close to the phantom, this is small and light enough to add so you can make it ring and tell you where it is.

There's another product similar to this already on the market. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2651

The Phantom II is rumored to have the same RADAR app that the Vision will have - so hopefully the Phantom II will be easier to find.

When will the Phantom II come out? What are the specs? etc.. no one knows for sure.. but I suspect it will be the Vision without built in cam.. allowing you to build out whatever you want.. I am not a Phantom owner yet.. holding out for the Phantom II.

TheTile is non-rechargeable and the battery is non-replaceable. So anyone buying TheTile will need to buy new Tiles ever year to keep their stuff tracked. THAT SUCKS! I pre-ordered TheTile, but after I found about the need to buy new Tiles every freaking year I cancelled my order.

Here's the product that is TheTile without the need of re-buying the product annually.
https://www.sticknfind.com/default.aspx

I posted this on another thread last night in here about the Tile... thought it was worth putting it in (plus I added point 4).

Great in principal, iffy in practice IMO

1) Relys on either the owner or someone hooked into the Tile network passing 50m's of the device with their bluetooth on. In a town/city that is possible to prove succesful but most RC flight is done in areas where there aren't exactly dense populations.
2) Cost. As pointed out there is an annual investment due to the battery issue. Across 5 years it is no cheaper than a GTU10. Granted it is lighter though.
3) The network itself... 49,000 pre orders globally to date. For fun lets say it was only on sale in the USA (it is on sale globally). 314 million people = 1 Tile per 6408 people if it went live today. Your device needs to come within 50 metres of a person with the tile app (and bluetooth active) to have much hope in finding it. Need I say more.
4) Relys on iOS devices with Bluetooth 4.0 (bascially iPhone 4s up) . That is now about half the cell/mobile phone community out of the equation to help find a lost item.

I have no doubt that it will catch on but how many owners of the first tiles will lose an item to theft and never see it again due to the small initial network.

A negative look at it maybe. As a designer I really hope it does catch and proves me wrong as the design is very neat. IMO I'd stick to GPS/Cell triangulation for RC. I'd buy one for lost keys though! :lol:

DeweyAXD said:
I posted this on another thread last night in here about the Tile... thought it was worth putting it in (plus I added point 4).

Great in principal, iffy in practice IMO

1) Relys on either the owner or someone hooked into the Tile network passing 50m's of the device with their bluetooth on. In a town/city that is possible to prove succesful but most RC flight is done in areas where there aren't exactly dense populations.
2) Cost. As pointed out there is an annual investment due to the battery issue. Across 5 years it is no cheaper than a GTU10. Granted it is lighter though.
3) The network itself... 49,000 pre orders globally to date. For fun lets say it was only on sale in the USA (it is on sale globally). 314 million people = 1 Tile per 6408 people if it went live today. Your device needs to come within 50 metres of a person with the tile app (and bluetooth active) to have much hope in finding it. Need I say more.
4) Relys on iOS devices with Bluetooth 4.0 (bascially iPhone 4s up) . That is now about half the cell/mobile phone community out of the equation to help find a lost item.

I have no doubt that it will catch on but how many owners of the first tiles will lose an item to theft and never see it again due to the small initial network.

A negative look at it maybe. As a designer I really hope it does catch and proves me wrong as the design is very neat. IMO I'd stick to GPS/Cell triangulation for RC. I'd buy one for lost keys though! :lol:

Is there a monthly or annual subscription fee?

Nope but the battery is non replaceable so you have to buy another tile annually when yours dies or annually (which ever comes first it would seem).

Miika said:
TheTile is non-rechargeable and the battery is non-replaceable. So anyone buying TheTile will need to buy new Tiles ever year to keep their stuff tracked. THAT SUCKS! I pre-ordered TheTile, but after I found about the need to buy new Tiles every freaking year I cancelled my order.

Here's the product that is TheTile without the need of re-buying the product annually.
https://www.sticknfind.com/default.aspx

Would you really begrudge spending under $20 yearly if it kept you from losing $700+ ?? :?: :?: :?:

The tile has a 50 meter range, the stick n find has 100 feet.
The tile is under $20, the stick n find is $50.

Does that extra 50' of range make a difference? If you're roaming through a 30 acre cotton or soybean field, it sure does.
If you're going through a field of corn that's over your head, **** straight. I will take the tile.

Tim T.

Since both of these devices use Bluetooth is there a risk of interference to the flight controls of the Phantom?

DJI has warned about using the Bluetooth on the Hero3 that it might interfere with flight controls.

I'm no expert on Bluetooth but got me wondering? Anyone with more experience than me know anything about this?

Different frequency?
Too low of power?
Passive Bluetooth? (is there such a thing?)

I got one of the http://www.loc8tor.com/ because it is in passive mode until you activate it. But thats always bothered me, seems one of these would be better if they don't cause any interference.

Dizzy Lizzard said:
DJI has warned about using the Bluetooth on the Hero3 that it might interfere with flight controls.

I think you mean enabling Wifi on the Hero 3 could interfere with flight controls. The GoPro doesn't have bluetooth.

tapiot said:
The tile has a 50 meter range, the stick n find has 100 feet.
The tile is under $20, the stick n find is $50.

Does that extra 50' of range make a difference? If you're roaming through a 30 acre cotton or soybean field, it sure does.
If you're going through a field of corn that's over your head, **** straight. I will take the tile.

Tim T.

Both Stick'N'Find and TheTile use bluetooth 4.0. SNF promises 100ft/30.5m and Tile 50-150ft 15-45m. In the end both have same range, but their marketing speech is different. Tile promises range of somewhere around 50-150ft while SNF is promising 100ft. If worst case scenario would be having the range of 50ft (Tile), wouldnt you always be worried that being the case. So both have a range around 50-150ft if that is what Bluetooht 4.0 is capable of.

One Tile costs 18,95$ and two Stick'N'Finds will cost 49,99$. At the moment you can make a preorder of four tiles at the price of 56,89$. But those are preorder prices. After the first year I*m pretty sure buying Tiles and paying for the shipping will become more expensive than Stick'N'Find.

The business model with TheTile is the reason why it has non-changeable/rechargeable battery, nothing more nothing else. They could have designed it like Stick'N'Find (having changeable battery) but they didnt. Because they want people to Stick'Their'Money to them once a year.

TheTile markets this non-changeable and non-chargeable product with this kind of crap
...No batteries to replace?

Nope, you never need to replace the batteries or even charge your Tiles...

LOL... They make it sound like its a good thing :D

Actually, Ii would expect the tile, after the initial production run, to remain the same or drop in price.

Why are you so sour on the world?

Tim T.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic