Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Tight Stock ND Filter

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by videcom, Jul 28, 2015.

1. videcom

Hi Guys, First post for me. I'm having trouble removing the standard ND filter so I can fit a Taco ND replacement. Its very tight, I have tried putting tape round it to give my fingers some grip, didn't work. I then resorted to a set of grips which have now marked the cap. That also didn't work. If I Squeeze any harder I'm afraid I will cause more damage. Anybody had this problem ?

2. Sprague

I just went through this. After searching through the site I found the trick was to actually not use a lot of pressure and hold it by the very front edge when you go to unscrew it. I also tried the rubber band trick and that seem to work.

3. videcom

Thanks for your reply Sprague, My Taco filter set just arrived this morning so will be having another try later today. Will let you know how I get on.

4. Sprague

Great, hope it works! I struggled with mine for at least half an hour and then when I almost gave it a "Zen" approach it did as other's suggested and very easily screwed off. Good luck!

5. Sprague

To add to your frustration I should mention that with any of the filters whether it's polar pro or Taco the difference in your image is remarkable!

6. videcom

Well after struggling all day without any joy I had to get drastic. I had to put two saw cuts in the end of the cap and the put a scissor blade in the slots to turn it, even then it was tight. I could feel the threads biting as it came off. I could see a slight angle to the cap as it came off, I suspect it was put on cross threaded. Luckily the fine thread that came out was off the cap not he camera. Thanks for your replies (even the last one :D).

Attached Files:

7. Sprague

Amazing to hear that it was cross threaded! I don't think I've read that anywhere else before. Well at least you're now frustration free! Have you had a chance to shoot any footage with the filters yet?

8. videcom

Plan to fly at the weekend, we have had a few wet days here in Yorkshire. Can't wait !.

9. Sprague

Good luck! I'd love to see your footage from Yorkshire, I live in New England but my heart is over there!

10. videcom

Cheers Sprague, will try to upload something next week.

11. MrG

MrG

I bought a set from phantomfilters.com but have yet to fit them hopefully it won't be as problematic! The weather does look good in Yorkshire the next few days so I hope to get mine out for its first flight!

12. Sandstorm76

My polar pro phantom 3 filters arrived today. I thought I'd see how the stock filter comes off and it was very very easy. Hardly used any pressure to unscrew it.

13. videcom

Hi MrG, good luck, will be my first flight also. Hope we both manage to stay in one piece . Greetings Sandstorm, glad you didn't have any problems .

Sandstorm76 likes this.
  14. videcom

Hey MrG Just wondering what video settings you are using as you are a UK PAL man. I have tried 4K down to 1080p in Edius8 software and 1080p@50fps set in P3P. The later seems to play better and to be honest doesn't look much different.

15. MrG

MrG

Hi! As of yet I've not done any video footage but I'll be sure to let you know! I feel this could be a lot of trial and error!