Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Thrust Boosting Props

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by PhotoGuyAaron, Sep 5, 2015.

1. PhotoGuyAaron

I tried my new thrust boosting props from B&H this am. I am really impressed with them. Basically turned my P3P into a high performance machine. Much greater horizontal, vertical, and forward and back speed. But slower to descend it seemed.

They cost 10.50 a pair instead of 6 and are worth every penny!

2. FCS-04

isn't the 9450 what comes on the p3?

3. PhotoGuyAaron

I don't understand why B&H would sell the same props with different descriptions and different prices if they are the same. Maybe it is all in my head. It has been a week since the last time I flew.

4. FCS-04

I honestly dont know and thats why I ask because DJI also markets them as "thrust boosted" but the model number identifies the length and pitch yet there is two 9450's a "boosted" and "normal" so if the length and pitch isnt changing I dont know where the "boost" is coming from. Hopefully someone with some know will chime in.

5. PhotoGuyAaron

I swear they were more responsive but who really knows. I understand your point.

6. AirWizard

Maybe it's the diameter (circumference) of the blade

7. bartold

They should be the same props.

8. solsystem

The add states:

"the 9450 provides extra thrust and better power efficiency that the 9443s."

It looks like they are the same prop that comes with the P3??

9. FunN4lo

The thrust boost was an upgrade from the 9443 on the P2 or DIY DJI propulsion systems. The P3 already comes with 9450 blades. That makes it a placebo effect

BUT, all of the thrust boosted props I have seen had metal hubs. If those do, that's a no-no for the P3

Meta4 likes this.
  10. msinger

Approved Vendor

When DJI released the 9450 props for the P2, they advertised them as "thrust boosted props". And, by that, they meant they have more thrust than the 9443 props. All 9450 props have the same thrust/boost due to the same 5.0" prop pitch (which is what the "50" means in "9450").

11. crashmaniac

but if you take a close look the blades have a more severe angle on the pitch, that is the main reason they are spouting about being Boosted Props. They work fine, not sure but perhaps, they might just tax the motors abit more though ?

12. Mark The Droner

Didn't somebody named Newton teach us that this is impossible?

mikesmiley likes this.
  13. jephoto

How do you tell which props you have? Is there a number on them?

14. Mark The Droner

Yep - right near the edge...

Anyways, I was waiting for somebody to bite and nobody did, so...

My understanding is the 9443s were the original props which fit onto the P2Vs as msinger posts above.

When the 9450s entered the scene, they supposedly add more thrust which is great, but you do lose efficiency, meaning your flight time would be slightly reduced, and this makes perfect sense.

That's why I keep my 9443s.

15. Imabiggles

Not necessarily true. Being a fixed wing RC'er for many years, I know props have many designs and not all XbyX props have nearly the same efficiency or performance. If you look at the vast assortment of GWS props, you will find vastly different performance and efficiency on different prop styles with the same diameter and pitch. Its the design, not magic. You can measure input power v thrust and judge efficiency for yourself. I am sure someone on rcgroups did this already for DJI props - have a search/look.

16. Mark The Droner

Somebody posted quite a while ago, maybe late last summer or early last fall, that it appeared to them the 9443s provided a slightly longer flight time than the 9450s.

17. msinger

Approved Vendor

I haven't used 9443s for some time now, but the only thing I recall noticing when switching to 9450s was slightly better performance stick-wise. If there was a difference in flight time, it was so negligible that I did not notice it.

18. N017RW

Seems like a wash anecdotally... a but more power to swing more pitch, but... less RPMs needed due to increased pitch.

Flight time claims need to be taken with some doubt as there are so many dynamics involved and no controls in place for comparison.

Not statistically valid without a dozen or more controlled tests of both types.

19. WetDog

Can you use 9443's on a P3? I would not mind the trade off between speed and endurance. I drive like a little old lady when I'm photographing so a velocity hit wouldn't be bad. In fact, I'm constantly trying to slow the craft down to pan and rotate more smoothly.

20. Fplvert

No. 9443 props have a metal hub. P3 would throw them off. Besides, they are floppy, weak props. I like the thrust boosted 9450 on the P2, great props!