Through the woods...

To even attach a F-type to a SMA you'd need a adapter (amazon has them all). But I'd imagine the antenna you are thinking of using won't work. A cheap WIFI whip such as this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Omni...rd_wg=cbQIc&psc=1&refRID=RZ3JACSK4NBTGDKDSVRX would be a simple start for almost no $$ input. Research the data and related facts before going further. Cable type is everything as well as antenna types. Get your feet wet with something like this, then dive further once you get comfortable with knowing what is involved. It will save you headache and $$.

Awesome man thanks. I'll do a bunch of reading. I'm a fast learner but will prolly still start with something simple as your link for my first external that isn't mounted to the controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha.. Gram, I seen some leaves flying before he crashed where he done a little trimming on the bush right before the one that got him.. that's thick in there! He done great anyways!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, it was a dark and narrow foot path. I havn't even had the chance to do that yet. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Reactions: Newbieguy
I also plan on modding the drone with 4 4-8db antennas. I don't know what db the stock ones are, and it's a possibility that increasing the db strengths on the Phantom will improve the penetration value through trees. And I love to mod it anyway...

I'm almost positive that the stock antennas are 5dbi

EDIT: my maxxrange kit should arrive today, gonna install it and Hopfully get a video up for you guys.. And you are correct, his video is gonna be tough to beat haha.

I have some snowmobile trails behind my house.. I'm thinking that would make for an awesome video to ride the trials and see how far I can go before signal loss. Time will tell :eek:

I'm almost positive that the stock antennas are 5dbi

EDIT: my maxxrange kit should arrive today, gonna install it and Hopfully get a video up for you guys.. And you are correct, his video is gonna be tough to beat haha.

I have some snowmobile trails behind my house.. I'm thinking that would make for an awesome video to ride the trials and see how far I can go before signal loss. Time will tell :eek:

Great stuff! Yes the stock (controller) antennas are 5db. But what are the drones stock antenna db'??? Word of advice, if you lose signal (video) stop. Look at control signal level , most likely you will have control. Climb a few yards. Stop. Regain video feed , then decide next move. Don't panic, When video is lost, just stop, pause, climb.

Great stuff! Yes the stock (controller) antennas are 5db. But what are the drones stock antenna db'??? Word of advice, if you lose signal (video) stop. Look at control signal level , most likely you will have control. Climb a few yards. Stop. Regain video feed , then decide next move. Don't panic, When video is lost, just stop, pause, climb.

Ah I see... And thanks I already do that quite often lol. I don't panic.. For me, as long as I can see myself on the map, and can see my Rc is still connected, even tho I don't have live feed I'm fine.. I'll either stop and wait for a new channel to be auto selected or I will use the arrow on the map to either backtrack, turn around and head back some, or I'll increase in altitude. Thanks for the advise tho gram. I'm about to tear into my controller now and get a head start before my package arrives. :)

Ah I see... And thanks I already do that quite often lol. I don't panic.. For me, as long as I can see myself on the map, and can see my Rc is still connected, even tho I don't have live feed I'm fine.. I'll either stop and wait for a new channel to be auto selected or I will use the arrow on the map to either backtrack, turn around and head back some, or I'll increase in altitude. Thanks for the advise tho gram. I'm about to tear into my controller now and get a head start before my package arrives. :)

TAKE GREAT CARE dealing with ALL the data ribbons (at least 5). Or you'll be buying a new controller!

TAKE GREAT CARE dealing with ALL the data ribbons (at least 5). Or you'll be buying a new controller!

Oh god yes, I bet you Iv watched 15 different controller videos thus far.. And am not new to taking things apart and putting them back together.. But thanks for the reminder! Always good to have that in the back of your head..

Delicate delicate delicate!

Started this a while back. Still interested in seeing your penetration videos!!! Here's a couple of mine...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here was a test after I had replaced a cable inside the remote.. made a huge difference!
Post your test vids too..

My set up is different.. of coarse.. I now have a mobile setup. 8.5dB L-com antennas connected directly to RF-Linx SAXU 1.5W amplifier/boosters, mounted to magnet mounts I built, then 10' LMR 400 cables ran inside the car to the L-com Injectors.. then 12" RG400 cables from Injectors to remote. Best it's been so far as far as numbers and performance goes. Well satisfied! Measures 29dBm straight out of the amp.. that plus the 8.5dBi antenna gives me 37dBm Total Power. (ERP)
e36c5e729ccca5d08f39c80a61c4dbce.jpg

390bc3decbc5b19c5fef61b359d2f1e8.jpg

I'm starting a "through the woods" video thread for people that are curious about what kind of penetration others are getting... just for fun. Post your vid, and tell us about your setup! And if you have it, post a pic of your setup!

I'm just starting so this is my only decent vid to start things out. This video is my second run with my DBS02 modded GL300C, on my P4.

f9c5ed9b0930def52c682536dcf3dc08.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
WOW, You have the Biggest ...... in the world. Very impressive flying

Lol.. there's much better from others, I just can't get nobody to post.. :(

Reactions: Turbomania
Reactions: JohnnyB
Here ya go Johnny, a couple rookie vids :)

Last edited:
Here is a classic.
Am working on a new P4 FPV Video. Video shot, need time to edit. Soon...

Here ya go Johnny, a couple rookie vids :)

Ha!! A true "FPV-through the woods" video.... Killer Turbo! Thanks for posting! It's a blast trying to navigate the bush...

Might as well post my latest which isn't as through the woods as yours, but... (I know you already seen it)

@turbo... Lol!!! For some reason I seen that crash coming.... Haha! Thanks for the share!!
Some pretty epic penetration too!!!

Reactions: Turbomania

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31