Throttle self centered

Reaction score
I have flown rc airplanes for many years and have always had a throttle stick that up was go and back was stop. I am just getting into the quads. On my new phantom, the throttle stick is centered and for flying this quad, that seems like the proper way of doing business!

Now I would like to upgrade to a Taranis. It seems highly recommended on this forum. Does the throttle stick on it self center or is it a conventional stick? I feel sure it can be made to self center since most transmitters can be converted from mode 1 to mode 2 and back by changing the programming and the springs on the stick. Or I could just order a spare gimble from HK. Seems you should be able to get the springs to make the throttle self centering. If you can't make it self centering, do you constantly have to fight your altitude when you make those minor, inadvertent changes to the throttle when adding yaw input?

The next question is can I make a regular dji Naza m's throttle behave the same way as the throttle on my stock phantom? I have a naza m setup that I am going to put on a flamewheel but just love the way the throttle works on the phantom.

The Taranis can easily be converted to have a spring-loaded throttle stick simply by adjusting a screw inside...and you can also adjust the tension and engage or disengage the ratcheting the same way. Once you have the controller open it takes all of 10 seconds. The full documentation on the Taranis includes a diagram showing which screw(s) to use.

All NAZA's (and even DJI's other flight controllers) behave the same with the controls and can be set up just like a Phantom.

Add to that, other than flying in manual mode or downgrading to an ancient firmware version, you can't with a DJI controller get linear throttle response as you probably had on your fixed wings. Anything within a few percent of centered throttle will always be "whatever thrust is required to maintain hover."

So if you leave or hold your throttle centered, it will behave exactly as a centered throttle will, you can't tell the Naza-M to do it any other way.

this is how u change the throttle
gimbal-spring-adjust-screw-taranis.jpg

Besides adjusting the spring screw to get a center stick operation, do you need to make any adjustments in the Taranis Radio program? :roll:

thomasleja said:
Besides adjusting the spring screw to get a center stick operation, do you need to make any adjustments in the Taranis Radio program? :roll:

Shouldn't need to, but I would calibrate the sticks again just to be safe, both on the controller and in the Phantom's Assistant software. I made my throttle stick self-centering and removed the ratcheting and tightened the stiffness, with no other settings changes needed. All work just as intended now :)

I'll be adjusting my Taranis to self-centering throttle tomorrow morning. I was hoping I could do this to the Taranis. I much prefer the self-centering throttle over the ratchet version. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers