Throttle down / props off questions. Anyone??

Reaction score
If you pull the throttle all the way down for more than 3 seconds... while you are in the air from a high altitude... will they turn off like they do on the ground? Or does it know that it's flying and they don't turn off? I haven't wanted to try this but curious. thanks.

race3 said:
If you pull the throttle all the way down for more than 3 seconds... while you are in the air from a high altitude... will they turn off like they do on the ground? Or does it know that it's flying and they don't turn off? I haven't wanted to try this but curious. thanks.

It will not turn off the motors, but it will descend like a bat out of hell.
Note that a CSC (Combination Stick Command) can be used to turn off the motors in flight.

I was wondering about that, too. I saw this from DJI: http://www.dji.com/the-improvement-of-t ... are-v3-12/

Quote: "Optimize stop motor in Intelligent Mode, the criterion of stopping motor changes from under 40% throttle stick to under 10%" Doesn't say if that is also true in-flight. How would it know the difference, I wonder???

In any event, the difference between 10% throttle and NO motor turning is kind of moot. The Phantom is going to drop like a rock in either scenario. The only difference would be the need to re-execute a CSC ( and the attendant delay in recognizing the need and executing the maneuver) before the craft augers-in. :cry:

Bet you dollars to donuts that the Phantom will immediately tumble non-ballistically with a dramatic chop in power. Re-powering the props even from plenty of altitude and with ample time STILL may not save the craft before "splat-down". :lol: :lol: :lol:

PF

PhantomFan said:
I was wondering about that, too. I saw this from DJI: http://www.dji.com/the-improvement-of-t ... are-v3-12/

Quote: "Optimize stop motor in Intelligent Mode, the criterion of stopping motor changes from under 40% throttle stick to under 10%" Doesn't say if that is also true in-flight. How would it know the difference, I wonder???

In any event, the difference between 10% throttle and NO motor turning is kind of moot. The Phantom is going to drop like a rock in either scenario. The only difference would be the need to re-execute a CSC ( and the attendant delay in recognizing the need and executing the maneuver) before the craft augers-in. :cry:

Bet you dollars to donuts that the Phantom will immediately tumble non-ballistically with a dramatic chop in power. Re-powering the props even from plenty of altitude and with ample time STILL may not save the craft before "splat-down". :lol: :lol: :lol:

PF

it does not tumble if you pull the throttle down all the way... but i haven't tried it for more than 3 seconds because i was nervous it would turn off. i would be surprised if it did turn off, i'm sure they didn't program it that way. I think the PV is smart enough to maintain balance and if you let go of the stick, it would immediately hold its position... but if someone is willing to try holding the throttle down all the way (for more than 3 seconds) in flight... i'd be curious to know the result! :)

The Phantom relies 100% on differential rotation of the propellers to keep its attitude. Shut down the motors and you 100% lose that ability. Take ONE look at a Phantom and ask yourself: Does it look like a glider? No, of course not. Without props turning with sufficient speed to apply the requisite forces to maintain attitude, the Phantom WILL tumble non-ballistically. Period. In fact, one, two or three motors turning is insufficient to maintain flight. All "rotary wing" (heli) aircraft are inherently unstable. Winged aircraft (only) can trade altitude for airspeed and maintain controlled flight for a while - till they run out of altitude.

Want to test that hypothesis? Just toss your Phantom up in the air without props turning. Did it right itself/enter stable flight at any point in its short trip??? Hell no. End of story.

PF

PhantomFan said:
The Phantom relies 100% on differential rotation of the propellers to keep its attitude. Shut down the motors and you 100% lose that ability. Take ONE look at a Phantom and ask yourself: Does it look like a glider? No, of course not. Without props turning with sufficient speed to apply the requisite forces to maintain attitude, the Phantom WILL tumble non-ballistically. Period. In fact, one, two or three motors turning is insufficient to maintain flight. All "rotary wing" (heli) aircraft are inherently unstable. Winged aircraft (only) can trade altitude for airspeed and maintain controlled flight for a while - till they run out of altitude.

Want to test that hypothesis? Just toss your Phantom up in the air without props turning. Did it right itself/enter stable flight at any point in its short trip??? Hell no. End of story.

PF

i don't think anyone would disagree with anything you just said. What I said previously is that it won't tumble if you pull the throttle stick all the way down... it will still spin the rotors and maintain balance as it drops. Of course, if you turn off the rotors, then it will drop and fall like a rock.

bringing the stick all the way down works fine and the phantom does not fall out of the air. it comes down quickly but not out of control. you can hold the down stick for as long as you like as long as the phantom is in the air.i release mine when there is at least 50+ feet as it takes a second or two to fully level out and stop coming down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr