Three Field of View samples

Reaction score
Hi
Anybody have samples of the three field of view you can use when shooting video?

As manual says:

Three Field of View (FOV) options are supported when shooting in 1920x1080 30p
Wide (140°), Medium (120°) and Narrow (90°).

I would really like to the difference of the three.

I'm normally a professional photographer, and it is well known that no lens are equal sharp all over the plane, they all loose some sharpness on the edges and in the corners and specially cheap lenses.

So I was thinking, that if I don't need 140° or 120° I would (hopefully) get sharper videos if I'm only using 90° (the center of the lens). But I'm afraid that the three different setting actually not are changing anything in the camera other than, it's kind of the same thing as Digital zoom (on other cameras) where the camera or the lens not are not are zooming but just cropping the photo.

Anyone?

Mostly, in the detail, ignoring the frame width, height, aspect ratio, etc.
one sees primarily the jpg encoding artifacts, I think.
I wonder what the new RAW format will show for detail?

Unlikely that the narrow FoV uses digital zoom; all three views are 1920x1080 and show the same degree of sharpness. Since the image sensor is 4k by 3k pixels, most likely the 90 degree view is actually 1:1 on sensor pixels and the wider views are using "digital shrink" to pull a 4K image down to 1920 pix wide. The fact that a still image has about the same side-to-side content as the "wide" mode video supports that hypothesis...

I took the P2V to the neighborhood park, sent it up to 100 feet and took three videos, one at each field of view.

Here's the three views displayed on a still taken at the same time:

fov.jpg

Rather surprising how similar the Wide and Medium views are, not much utility in using Medium most of the time.

Here's a link to a video with the three camera angles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7DZVMhP_dw

EyeUpHigh said:
Unlikely that the narrow FoV uses digital zoom; all three views are 1920x1080 and show the same degree of sharpness. Since the image sensor is 4k by 3k pixels, most likely the 90 degree view is actually 1:1 on sensor pixels and the wider views are using "digital shrink" to pull a 4K image down to 1920 pix wide. The fact that a still image has about the same side-to-side content as the "wide" mode video supports that hypothesis...

I took the P2V to the neighborhood park, sent it up to 100 feet and took three videos, one at each field of view.

fov.jpg

Rather surprising how similar the Wide and Medium views are, not much utility in using Medium most of the time.

NICE!!! Can't be any clearer than that...

Thanks!

EyeUpHigh said:

fov.jpg

Hi and thanks for you answer.
I thinks you have swapped thing around a little in your video. You medium angle have wider angle than your wide angle shot?

It also looks like when shooting in narrow it also crop in the top and bottom?

Also what you are saying about the "Digital Shrink" are exactly what I was afraid of :(
Of course I know we can't get everything for that price but on a "real" camera (DSLR) it doesn't change the pixel amount when you change the viewing angle, the final photo would have the same amount of pixels. In other words, this just the same as a kind of Digital zoom. Do I understand that right?
Thanks again

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic