P3 Firmware Three drones, three failures

Reaction score
I am getting so frustrated and disappointed. Started this process three months ago:

- Purchased Standard but could not update firmware, so I returned it and upgraded to a Professional.
- Could not update firmware on Professional either, so I returned it for a replacement Professional.
- Now I can't update firmware on second Professional (drone #3).

I'm using a Mac. I go to DJI.com and download Professional firmware. (The .bin file goes to my "Downloads" in top right corner. Using a card reader, I move the .bin file from my "Downloads" file to my SD card. I then insert the card into the drone and power up the drone. Absolutely nothing to indicate my update is processing. Yes, I've left it in there for hours. Also, when I place the card back in my card reader, I get no "update successful" or "update failed" message. It's like nothing happened.

This is my last shot at this drone. If no one can assist me, it's going to be returned and I'll just have to wish I had a drone. (PS, in an attempt to pull at your heartstrings, my wife is severely disabled and has been very anxious to see this thing in action…)

Don't you have to uncompress the BIN file before putting it onto the card? I've not done mine in a good while but for some reason it seems like I did.

Well, from what I understand (keeping in mind I don't mess too much with zipped/unzipped files) this is done automatically. If I have to uncompress/unzip it (which may very well be
the problem), I don't know how to do that. Also, thanks for the Autel suggestion. If this doesn't work, I may look into that.

go with what mrcrane said wont have the problems

Reactions: mrcrane2u
I'll start my post by saying... if the firmware does not update it's a 99.99999999% probability that it's user error. I'm not criticizing, as there are many people who have issues. I'm just pointing out that it probably won't be solved by getting another Phantom.

I can't help too much with iOS but I will say from what I see there are two most common errors... the file is not uncompressed or it's not moved to the correct folder.

Some file views attempt to make it very easy to view compressed files by displaying them as folders. You then simply click on the folder to view it's contents. But it's really being uncompressed into temp files (not stored).

As I mentioned, I can't give you details about iOS and I apologize for this but my recommendation is that you do some searching on how to view and obtain a file from a zip/compressed file. You may want to focus on moving the .bin file to another folder on your hard drive and then move that .bin file over to the SD card. You should then view the SD card to confirm that _only_ the .bin file is in the root/upper most folder (no name).

I'm betting you can find several videos specifically on how to move the DJI firmware under iOS. I recommend you watch one or two of them.

Again, this is simply a learning curve thing. Once you do it once, it's as easy as tying your shoes.

Lastly, the Standard is a nice machine. However, the Professional.... a _lot_ more fun.

Not sure how this post adds anything but insult to this thread. Was that your intention?

Just to be clear... the Autel firmware is done the _exact_ same way DJI does it. So your post is of absolutely no help.
in his defense its much easier I know

in his defense its much easier I know

I reviewed the process on their website. The only difference is that Autel has a direct download of the bin file. They can do this because they don't include any release notes with the firmware itself.

If the OP wants, I'll download the iOS zip firmware and put the .bin file some place for direct download.

Reactions: BigAl07
I reviewed the process on their website. The only difference is that Autel has a direct download of the bin file. They can do this because they don't include any release notes with the firmware itself.

If the OP wants, I'll download the iOS zip firmware and put the .bin file some place for direct download.
plus during download rc shows you every step of the download is really nice

Well, from what I understand (keeping in mind I don't mess too much with zipped/unzipped files) this is done automatically. If I have to uncompress/unzip it (which may very well be
the problem), I don't know how to do that. Also, thanks for the Autel suggestion. If this doesn't work, I may look into that.
Not sure how to unzip files on Mac. Do you have any PC at all?

plus during download rc shows you every step of the download is really nice

As long as the user does everything correctly. If the user does something wrong it simply reports an error and the user is instructed to start all over. No information on what went wrong. You are comparing apples to oranges in this case. As long as everything goes 100% correct, it's easier then when a person makes an mistake (of course).

just saying during download you can see what is going on instead of listing to beeps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers