Thread lock on props? Can it work? Should it? Bad idea? Good idea?

DO NOT USE THREAD LOCKER! Locktite can degrade plastic, causing the hub to fail and props come apart. I have experience with this on a previous quad.

Phantom props are self tightening, and will not unscrew in flight.

Maybe use threadlocker and then drill through the prop and shaft to install a cotter pin. Thats an excellent idea, yea do that. ;)

Reactions: eBird
Although I agree we should allow for proper engineering practices to dictate procedures, I am almost sure that the P3 shells were also not engineered to crack so I try to remain objective about faithfully and blindly adopting practices that may initially seem to be right. Thus I believe that questioning the cause of the aircrafts 'falling from the skies' and having it be potentially attributable to loose props is reasonable.
P2 props are not compatable with the P3 because the former has a metal hub instead of a plastic hub that affords more traction between the plastic hub and the stem of the motor. This is because the P3 incorporates active breaking (to increase responsiveness and performance) which is a new feature that the P2 did not have. This means that theoretically enough breaking can be applied by the motor to spin the prop off the motor stem via the built in inertia of the spinning prop.
I have also noticed that my props are much looser than they were when I had originally installed them the first time. They have over 100 flights on the set of four and I'm thinking that now may be a good time to replace them with a fresh set. I believe that may be a reasonable practice instead of thread locker.
Regards
Albert

Last edited:
Reactions: Navigator181
I don't recommend just hand tighten. DJI provides a tool to tighten the props. Use it, and use good judgement. You'll be fine.
Not at all ... DJI DO NOT provide a tool to tighten the props.
Nowhere in the manual does it say to use a wrench to tighten the props - but it does say to hand tighten.
The wrench provided is to use when removing a stuck (crashed) prop.
Do not tighten witha wrench.
Damage to nylon threads by overtightening is a bigger risk than not tightening self-tightening props enough.

I take mine off after each flying session and reinstall right before each flight. I resisted doing this at first but it really only takes 10 seconds to put on/take off a prop. I am concerned, however, that this practice will eventually wear out the plastic threads so I'm just resigned to a fresh set of props every now and then. No biggie.
Best defense against a flight failure is properly maintained equipment, and stress/fatigue free parts.

Reactions: Albert R.
Not at all ... DJI DO NOT provide a tool to tighten the props.
Nowhere in the manual does it say to use a wrench to tighten the props - but it does say to hand tighten.
The wrench provided is to use when removing a stuck (crashed) prop.
Do not tighten witha wrench.
Damage to nylon threads by overtightening is a bigger risk than not tightening self-tightening props enough.

Just picked up a P3A and there was something in the box that I had not received in my P3P back in July... It's in the "what's in the box document" and is described as "propeller removal clamp".

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Professional_In_the_Box_en_0901.pdf
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Advanced_In_the_Box_en_0901.pdf
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/en/Phantom_3_Standard_In_the_Box_en.pdf
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_4k/en/Phantom_3_4K_In_the_Box_en.pdf

Just picked up a P3A and there was something in the box that I had not received in my P3P back in July... It's in the "what's in the box document" and is described as "propeller removal clamp".
Because of the change in motors they had to change the tool. The old one doesn't fit on the new motors.

That's because your P3A has the newer "A" motors so the old metal prop wrench won't work.

Perhaps some of them older generation of RC pilots don't have the nimble dexterous prodigits some of us others have, and so using the tool is a better way to grip the motor housing when applying of, or for removing the rotor blades. Hand tighten is best, & a firm handshake is always welcomed. ;-)

RefHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj