Thread lock on props? Can it work? Should it? Bad idea? Good idea?

Reaction score
Owner of a P3P, I have read a few threads where props have came off mid flight. This question may have been answered before, I have searched the forum and came up with no results.

If I use a hard case, with no intention of removing props (other than maintenance and repair) - would it not be safe to place a drop of glue on the threads before tightening props? I also know that most lock tite products are corrosive to plastics so that's a big no-no.

By the way, I love my P3P and have zero issues with it. This is simply a question regarding prop loss in mid-flight for other threads.

where have you seen posts about P3's throwing props? I've never seen one.

The crash threads i've read on here. One yesterday from a guy in Georgia. One a couple months ago from a guy in his subdivsion where his bird just fell from 250'. Both cases the props were found, intact and un-threaded. It was really a hypothetical question. I see people arguing back and forth about the tightening procedure. I read the manual and my props have never flew off.

here
Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise | Page 11 | DJI Phantom Forum

The crash threads i've read on here. One yesterday from a guy in Georgia. One a couple months ago from a guy in his subdivsion where his bird just fell from 250'. Both cases the props were found, intact and un-threaded. It was really a hypothetical question. I see people arguing back and forth about the tightening procedure. I read the manual and my props have never flew off.

here
Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise | Page 11 | DJI Phantom Forum

Props are self tightening so no need for thread lock.. The only reason the thread would be damaged would be from over tightening or forcing props on without aligning threads..

Reactions: Jbundy63
No, you don't want or need locktite on the threads. When the motors start, they will self tighten more if you haven't tightened them down by hand. Just spin them on and tighten firmly by hand. Remember... It's plastic so over tightening can strip the threads. So tighten by feel.

There's a remote chance of the prop spinning off from momentum if the motor stops dead - if that happens you needn't worry much about the prop coming off anyway.
There were a few cases of them coming off in flight with the Phantom 2.
However Phantom 2 props lack the P3 version's composite hub, which helps them grip when tightened down fully.
It did seem that the P2 could very rarely decelerate the props enough to spin them off if not tightened.

I would feel better if the prop slid onto a spline shaft with a nut on top.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I also agree - but if the motor stopped, it wouldn't matter either way.

It was a hypothetical question, I appreciate you guys not flaming me on my first post. Thanks for the input.

Thread locker and plastic do not mix. In most cases it will dissolve and turn the plastic into mush. However, Loctite makes a product called 425 assure that will work with plastic to plastic or plastic to metal.
But as stated above, the props are self tightening. Thread locker is not needed.

If it made one feel better, I see nothing wrong with a single wrap of Teflon tape around the shaft, then spin the prop down. Yes, no?

Reactions: Reed L
If it made one feel better, I see nothing wrong with a single wrap of Teflon tape around the shaft, then spin the prop down. Yes, no?
... You guys are way to serious :mask::tonguewink:

No DO NOT DO THIS the inner hubs are composite and not metal for a reason. Why would you use thread seal tape anyway? This is not a pressure situation where you are creating a gasket, i.g. water or gas? PTFE tape can prevent mating threads from fully engaging, reducing the shear point of the threads. You are asking for DISASTER if you do this!!! I hope you were joking.

Last edited:
No DO NOT DO THIS the inner hubs are composite and not metal for a reason. Why would you use thread seal tape anyway? This is not a pressure situation where you are creating a gasket, i.g. water or gas? PTFE tape can prevent mating threads from fully engaging, reducing the shear point of the threads. You are asking for DISASTER if you do this!!! I hope you were joking.

Wasn't joking, and that does seem to be really overthinking it! It would simply create less tolerance between the mating threads.

No need to do anything of the sort. The props are self tightening. The only way (and has been demonstrated) a prop can fly off in midair is if a motor abruptly stops, allowing inertia to unscrew the prop. In this event, you are going to crash anyway, the prop coming off is the least of your worries. In the thread you referenced, we hypothesized the prop might have come off for this reason, but was NOT the event that caused the crash.

I agree with highly recommending that nothing be added to the prop threads. For the same reason people should not add things to their vehicle air bags. They are engineered a certain way to work, period.

Reactions: John Locke
I won't suggest it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj