Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Thoughts on this FPV Kit?

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Discussion' started by Cerone, May 11, 2015.

1. Cerone

A little background:
    -Been flying quads for about 5 months, just recently got my Phantom 1.1.1 new from BHPhoto. All Stock.
    -Ultimately I don't want to dump a ton of $$ into this because I plan to upgrade to a P3 (or possibly the next gen) sometime in the future.
    -My primary focus is photography, not videography. I do not see the need for a gimbal at this point.

I would; however, like to play around with FPV so that I can frame my shots and feel comfortable flying in tighter situations. I don't see any reason why I'd ever need super long range FPV. Probably 1/4-1/2 a mile at the most, so about 400-800 meters.

The kits I'm looking into right now are the Starter and Advanced kit from Helipal.
    Starter: $209 http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-easy.html
    Advanced: $299 http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html

The most significant differences seems to be the range and the non-IPS vs IPS monitor. In addition to the FPV kit, I'd also be interested in getting the IOSD so that I can see flight data such as distance and battery status.

This would be connecting to a GoPro Hero 3 Black.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts you guys have about these kits or others. I'm NOT comfortable soldering so I want something that is fairly straight forward. Thanks for the advice.

2. IflyinWY

Hello Cerone, welcome to the party. :D

Both setups you've linked to look good BUT, the transmitters are the same on the "What's included" but different in the "Video Transmitter Comparison" chart.

I would get someone to fix the site or send you some form of documentation that the more expensive setup comes with the 500 mw transmitter. I don't believe it weighs 8 grams. The 200 mw transmitter might weigh 8 grams, which is great.

I also find it interesting about the ranges being the same in the "FPV Package Comparison" ???

200 mw transmitter is great for close in, but not at 1/2 mile, from what I have heard. A great deal can be done with the right antenna though, and recently folks have been going way past where they could just one year ago.

Cerone likes this.