Thoughts on P3 Advanced...

I will test ATTI vs GPS speeds next time out. Still not sure on something & haven't found a definitive answer:

My Vision+ bleeds altitude at max speed in ATTI mode, so you have to keep a close eye on things as you will eventually hit the deck. Does the P3 maintain altitude in this situation? This is something I will also have to test next time out.

Thank you for reminding me my aircraft and RC are 100% stock. You can see the controller in my hand at the very end of the flight. I did purchase a Windsurfer but haven't found the need to use it.

You wont have a hard time finding where the WindSurfer is at when you begin flying over land and push it to get beyond 4k feet.

I upgraded my P3 Advanced's firmware from 1.3.20 to 1.4.10 to enable the IOC features & 2.7K camera resolution.

Are you able to go directly from 1.3.2 to 1.4.1 on both the quad and RC ?

If my memory serves me correctly that was the next one afterwards.

I received my updated advanced today and it had 1.3.2 on it.

Also how much quite are those new motors.

I want to test fly it before updating firmware but completely flat RC battery which took hours to charge and now rain stopped play today :-(

Yes to can go from 1.3 to 1.4 via the SD card. As far as the RC update USB method won't work. I updated RC to latest version via Go app (1.5.7) & it works fine. 1.4 will give you IOC features & 2.7K video option.

Are you able to go directly from 1.3.2 to 1.4.1 on both the quad and RC ?

If my memory serves me correctly that was the next one afterwards.

I received my updated advanced today and it had 1.3.2 on it.

Also how much quite are those new motors.

I want to test fly it before updating firmware but completely flat RC battery which took hours to charge and now rain stopped play today :-(

Here firmwares from dji (not listed, but still on their servers)

80 to 90% battery level takeoff is triggering outrage | Page 5 | DJI Phantom Forum

I think I would have had a heart attack. Great story.

Those firmware downloads. I got all the ones there for the Advanced.

The ZIP files are named ex: Phantom_3_Advanced_Firmware_v1.4.0010__en.zip
But when I open the zip, the bin file name is P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
That looks like firmware for the standard. Are they the same?

That is the correct one. The Pro version is P3X... It won't allow you to install the wrong version.

I think I would have had a heart attack. Great story.

Those firmware downloads. I got all the ones there for the Advanced.

The ZIP files are named ex: Phantom_3_Advanced_Firmware_v1.4.0010__en.zip
But when I open the zip, the bin file name is P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
That looks like firmware for the standard. Are they the same?

Yes to can go from 1.3 to 1.4 via the SD card. As far as the RC update USB method won't work. I updated RC to latest version via Go app (1.5.7) & it works fine. 1.4 will give you IOC features & 2.7K video option.

ok, thanks

will try this Thursday or friday.

Yeaaaah! DB i was on the edge of my seat with that story I thought for sure it was going to end landing at the island again. I had a very exciting flight on a 45° day last week other than that it's been 0° here. And that story almost had my heart pounding as much as my flight did

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Wow what a story... the same thing happened to me a while ago, 1000 feet up, wind at over 40 km an hour, the wind brought the bird back 1 km. I couldn't get back even though the throttle was all the way. I brought it back down to three hundred meters. I did not use the RTH as I know it doesn't use the full power of the aircraft. And my failsafe was at 60 meters. I live in the mountains so RTH wasn't a good idea for this situation. Then I saw it move towards me through the map view. It landed in my hands with 20% battery left. My heart was a bit pumping. Happy ending here too.

Great story DB. I'm new and, although I don't have my P3A yet, am learning as much as I can before I fly. Can you elaborate on a couple of things you said in your write up to help me learn from your great flying skills?

"found myself 18,410' away & getting a RTH battery alert with the battery @ 71%" - what would make it give this alert with so much battery left?

"Initially I engaged RTH but noticed forward progress was only around 20 mph so I decided to use Home Lock to try & increase speed. - I know this is just speculation but do you think it would have made it back in RTH? Less speed, less demand on battery, right?

"I used a combination of RTH & manual control OTW back" - What manual control did you use and why?

"At 1800' distant Auto-land kicked in @ 15% battery...I took back control - How did you take back control?

"piloted her back manually the remaining 1800'" - If you can't see the AC, do you use the map function to manually pilot insuring you are flying the correct direction?

Thanks so much.

I can't speak for DB, but I'll try and help.

Great story DB. I'm new and, although I don't have my P3A yet, am learning as much as I can before I fly. Can you elaborate on a couple of things you said in your write up to help me learn from your great flying skills?

"found myself 18,410' away & getting a RTH battery alert with the battery @ 71%" - what would make it give this alert with so much battery left?

Smart RTH is based on your battery level and calculates how much energy you need to return to your Home Point. The farther you go out, the higher the battery percentage needed to return. This can cause a problem if you go out with a tailwind. The P3 doesn't consider headwind or tailwind. When going way out, we need to know which way the winds are at your cruising altitude if going to the max distance to ensure you get back.

"Initially I engaged RTH but noticed forward progress was only around 20 mph so I decided to use Home Lock to try & increase speed. - I know this is just speculation but do you think it would have made it back in RTH? Less speed, less demand on battery, right?

User initiated RTH makes the P3 "cruise" home about 20 MPH. You can increase (or decrease) the RTH speed with the right elevator stick about +/- 7 MPH. I'm going to speculate DJI created the cruise as an efficient level of battery demand. Home lock is an IOC mode where the right elevator stick controls whether the P3 goes away from the home point or back towards it. I have no experience with it and don't know if it's faster than RTH cruise?

"I used a combination of RTH & manual control OTW back" - What manual control did you use and why?

You are able to cancel the RTH at any time and fly back manually in two modes, P-GPS and Atti. P-GPS limits the P3 to about 35 MPH. Atti mode will achieve about 45 MPH in calm conditions. DB was tring to fight the wind with the manual modes and get her home.

"At 1800' distant Auto-land kicked in @ 15% battery...I took back control - How did you take back control?

DB, or any user experienced with auto land will have to chime in. Critical battery level (10% default, DB must have changed his to 15%) will initiate an auto land wherever the P3 is at the time Critical Battery Level is reached. From my research, you can cancel it from the tablet, or just use the sticks to manually fly and override the landing. You will need 3/4 stick to maintain altitude intead of 1/2 stick during this phase.

"piloted her back manually the remaining 1800'" - If you can't see the AC, do you use the map function to manually pilot insuring you are flying the correct direction?

I use a combination of the map, radar and the camera view. All three will help you get home.

SD

Thanks so much.

Welcome

Thanks! Yes it does make your sphincter pucker wondering if you can make it back! o_O

Wow what a story... the same thing happened to me a while ago, 1000 feet up, wind at over 40 km an hour, the wind brought the bird back 1 km. I couldn't get back even though the throttle was all the way. I brought it back down to three hundred meters. I did not use the RTH as I know it doesn't use the full power of the aircraft. And my failsafe was at 60 meters. I live in the mountains so RTH wasn't a good idea for this situation. Then I saw it move towards me through the map view. It landed in my hands with 20% battery left. My heart was a bit pumping. Happy ending here too.

Solar Deity answered most of your questions so I'll just elaborate on a few.

On the Battery RTH alert @ 71% - The Phantom errors on the safe side when calculating power required to return. As mentioned, it knows nothing about wind speed & this isn't factored. It just wants to get you back home by the time you get to the low battery alert which defaults to 30%. If you are going way out it's best to begin your mission INTO the wind. That way when its time to return you have a nice cushion with a tail wind pushing you along on your return flight. This cushion can allow you to ignore the initial warning & push on a bit further. One thing you can never be sure of is winds at ground level vs. winds aloft. When I took off winds were out of the south, hitting the Phantom from her starboard side. Aloft they were out of the southwest, almost directly behind the direction of flight and zipping her along on the way out but a force to be overcome on the return.

I know this is just speculation but do you think it would have made it back in RTH? Less speed, less demand on battery, right?

Yes I think she would have made it back on her own had I simply engaged RTH & let her fly home. What made it close was me being distracted by my visitor & not realizing the RTH had cancelled Home Lock. If you watch at the far point RTH brings her back a couple thousand feet when I noticed the 20 mph speed. I cancelled RTH & pulled the stick back which, in Home Lock, brings her towards Home. Distracted by my visitor some time went by before I noticed I was backing up. I yawed right then left while backing to get my bearings, then re-engaged RTH. This probably added 5000-6000' to the total flight & she was only 1800' out when auto-land commenced.

Something else I was unaware was you can increase speed by applying right stick. I don't recall seeing that in the manual so I don't know if I missed it or the feature is undocumented. I do like how the P3 allows you to pan around during RTH so you can let the computer bring the bird home while you focus on the camera.

The radar shows which way the aircraft is heading. You can also use the map, telemetry data, & video feed to orient & facilitate your return. One bummer for me is with my setup I can't see the map & radar at the same time. I'm not sure if this is an Android vs. iOS thing, or has something to do with me using a 7" device (Nexus 7 2013)? I would much prefer the radar to ALWAYS be available on lower left with map on lower right.

Reactions: Solar Deity
I upgraded my P3 Advanced's firmware from 1.3.20 to 1.4.10 to enable the IOC features & 2.7K camera resolution. After performing an IMU & compass calibration I performed a close in shakedown flight to verify performance. Everything worked perfectly so I headed back to Ft. Armistead Park for another range test. I've always gotten great results here so, aside from the inherent risk of going down in the Bay, this site has proven an excellent area for range testing. Weather conditions were 50 degrees with ground level winds out of the south @ 5-10 mph. This would put the wind on the Phantom's starboard side & I believed would be mostly neutral as far as power calculations.

I launched from Ft. Armistead Park & headed towards the toll plaza on the opposite side of the Bay. I engaged Home Lock right after lift off so I could just keep the stick forward & pan around a bit as I flew out. I slowly climbed out to 400' altitude to ensure I was well above the high-voltage power lines I would encounter along the way. A guy was watching as I prepared for the flight & came over to observe & ask questions. I always enjoy the opportunity to show the tech to folks who are naturally curious, though this sometimes proves distracting when flying.

In no time at all I had passed the toll plaza ~10,000' distant & in only a little over 7 minutes found myself 18,410' away & getting a RTH battery alert with the battery @ 71%. It was only then & AFTER the flight I realized she was booking along at >40 mph so winds aloft were out of the SW & pushing her along. I'd be fighting a headwind on the return trip. Initially I engaged RTH but noticed forward progress was only around 20 mph so I decided to use Home Lock to try & increase speed. Distracted by the bystander's questions I pulled back on the stick not realizing RTH had disengaged Home Lock & it was at least a minute before I realized I had backed away 2000'! :eek:

I flipped the switch back to P-mode & reengaged RTH. I used a combination of RTH & manual control OTW back but speed into the wind was limited to ~21 MPH. I was @ 40% when I reached the toll plaza with nearly 2 miles left to go. At 1800' distant Auto-land kicked in @ 15% battery. I had previously changed that setting to 10% & realized it must have been altered with the firmware update. I took back control and piloted her back manually the remaining 1800' & landed with 7% battery remaining. My visitor was impressed at how calm I remained when he asked what all the beeping was about & at just that moment "Auto-landing initiated" was announced & we couldn't even see the Phantom! He didn't seem to notice but my hands were trembling & I felt a big sense of relief as I landed her in front of us. ;)

I have to say I am totally impressed with the P3. The video down-link was absolutely perfect the entire flight & I am curious just how far this bird will actually fly?. I don't see much of a need for any range upgrades as she can already out fly the battery. Once Spring arrives, the weather warms, & I get a Flytrex installed I will be taking her over to the Eastern Shore where I can let it all hang out over open farmland & dry land where remote landing is feasible. If you would have told me 20 months ago you could buy this thing for only $799 I wouldn't have believed it. DJI....too cool! :cool:

mupIRCUOkHyCfrcWQ7adRV4hGMICs58GdRTlOdRRYm0rEtrAjEViVX3EvjPIzeVA8AU10oJzWJOJCXul6wq7_LU0pPRgmfsgrUy8gz0VAVu85ewHATT3NaxASkkhHCtjMrCg5QAypOYGRij8yiwtf8Alz2P-dr_Q1ugdamiVacX9qm3M0GR-2VRhpV4qc_-gZgB_pNAKdfMEK0tdTgonKh2txurNZRmXtSrte-Acjws7_l5b3oQZszyRk69bmmAszhc4_ezc-YGvYMoSftqZ30TupNwVFRQSX2xiP3C_iTETD4UjotIngD3ckGLZU3vVZjjaI-PFjjxs4xmCG7fkHdZloLz7Zu1902bX56wS2sbjhKXyp5FVRihopn3AOEJxSPMuu8NRkcs9fz_wN4qUZ7v6Lr3JoYQLRtpLkDoIimr0fO3OySxnwTY7qPtAxz8OuV0ZpkB5X091ZJuRDFSO-fBPk53oWV8isfQM28mNtM2QLb3thWqEITuvyKcG2EidL_S2bZUvVtxEPLKWezWFDzXjhAY6FMB4IbU4Xm_ez7NS2HOL5W7ygU9NoMOYOLff3hJtpw=w1119-h630-no

jkzWgWB36Q9uuTfb3TUO8kQljY46FrDKrytYYHqie16kNigvpvdtwqrN3xTEmvgbswnK87KMW2t5-bC6nLdXfRMh34eZ_rTK-2dTqiAlWnl_LscYfuEYCPXHYOCCuJC-FrUGjLd5DJUq0NavvFXha-qxuPklwQ0SBrdi2Gy4-Pl7svX8wSrcTvDz0PpiQuczop_xmfFtjN8kJ9M_S8XygV4diEUHIGH-c79ncrFexdObKKUXDpiWxQGrKZxzwBgZ3Yk-cSI2Lx6Dyuy82xBzq6y9QzY83edtGxawxC4_2G76U3jGLw5Nlmr_S7uCnf2l9e7R8K2AFWB1K-Ran9rgG2NOEGloRWt3LgiBhEq4iuN5sUvFBgI04AU2fXbj8U2Z_8hM9giKNtcZsivAAVr0_D5nfqSAmNMwJs4rExz23zOE5wyxTeAoyPZVNOboLqu9RyjPv-Fi7cMAFsPqUXpPuUOqMYrNpMKip77MxvGtzcPSiQ87dsgdjJSdTgL19xJm_SH8JODuVul7UOBJBw2eOd535CYsk7XuewWRfCVVKiYd8J2xeg1vp9SZLRdOhb7JVSxN0A=w1119-h630-no
If you are planning on cooking these - can I have them before you proceed, please?
Great story! I wish I was that patient and calm.

You guys are so lucky in the United States cos you have FCC power and not the underpowered CE in UK and Europe.
I just got my advance last week and have done 6 flights and the furthest I've went before losing video signal was 2200 feet at 400 feet altitude ?????
Not happy

You guys are so lucky in the United States cos you have FCC power and not the underpowered CE in UK and Europe.
I just got my advance last week and have done 6 flights and the furthest I've went before losing video signal was 2200 feet at 400 feet altitude ?????
Not happy

it goes way further than that in eu.

How much does altitude affect your max range? I hear everyone say they go up before going out, but what's the reason for that?

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hmm I think il try it tomorrow away from my back garden. I live in a village and there is a lot of trees.
Fingers crossed

Make sure the software on your app is not limited, distance or height.

Also the rc aerial orientation and direction is important.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.