Thoughts on P3 Advanced...

Reaction score
I upgraded my P3 Advanced's firmware from 1.3.20 to 1.4.10 to enable the IOC features & 2.7K camera resolution. After performing an IMU & compass calibration I performed a close in shakedown flight to verify performance. Everything worked perfectly so I headed back to Ft. Armistead Park for another range test. I've always gotten great results here so, aside from the inherent risk of going down in the Bay, this site has proven an excellent area for range testing. Weather conditions were 50 degrees with ground level winds out of the south @ 5-10 mph. This would put the wind on the Phantom's starboard side & I believed would be mostly neutral as far as power calculations.

I launched from Ft. Armistead Park & headed towards the toll plaza on the opposite side of the Bay. I engaged Home Lock right after lift off so I could just keep the stick forward & pan around a bit as I flew out. I slowly climbed out to 400' altitude to ensure I was well above the high-voltage power lines I would encounter along the way. A guy was watching as I prepared for the flight & came over to observe & ask questions. I always enjoy the opportunity to show the tech to folks who are naturally curious, though this sometimes proves distracting when flying.

In no time at all I had passed the toll plaza ~10,000' distant & in only a little over 7 minutes found myself 18,410' away & getting a RTH battery alert with the battery @ 71%. It was only then & AFTER the flight I realized she was booking along at >40 mph so winds aloft were out of the SW & pushing her along. I'd be fighting a headwind on the return trip. Initially I engaged RTH but noticed forward progress was only around 20 mph so I decided to use Home Lock to try & increase speed. Distracted by the bystander's questions I pulled back on the stick not realizing RTH had disengaged Home Lock & it was at least a minute before I realized I had backed away 2000'! :eek:

I flipped the switch back to P-mode & reengaged RTH. I used a combination of RTH & manual control OTW back but speed into the wind was limited to ~21 MPH. I was @ 40% when I reached the toll plaza with nearly 2 miles left to go. At 1800' distant Auto-land kicked in @ 15% battery. I had previously changed that setting to 10% & realized it must have been altered with the firmware update. I took back control and piloted her back manually the remaining 1800' & landed with 7% battery remaining. My visitor was impressed at how calm I remained when he asked what all the beeping was about & at just that moment "Auto-landing initiated" was announced & we couldn't even see the Phantom! He didn't seem to notice but my hands were trembling & I felt a big sense of relief as I landed her in front of us. ;)

I have to say I am totally impressed with the P3. The video down-link was absolutely perfect the entire flight & I am curious just how far this bird will actually fly?. I don't see much of a need for any range upgrades as she can already out fly the battery. Once Spring arrives, the weather warms, & I get a Flytrex installed I will be taking her over to the Eastern Shore where I can let it all hang out over open farmland & dry land where remote landing is feasible. If you would have told me 20 months ago you could buy this thing for only $799 I wouldn't have believed it. DJI....too cool! :cool:

mupIRCUOkHyCfrcWQ7adRV4hGMICs58GdRTlOdRRYm0rEtrAjEViVX3EvjPIzeVA8AU10oJzWJOJCXul6wq7_LU0pPRgmfsgrUy8gz0VAVu85ewHATT3NaxASkkhHCtjMrCg5QAypOYGRij8yiwtf8Alz2P-dr_Q1ugdamiVacX9qm3M0GR-2VRhpV4qc_-gZgB_pNAKdfMEK0tdTgonKh2txurNZRmXtSrte-Acjws7_l5b3oQZszyRk69bmmAszhc4_ezc-YGvYMoSftqZ30TupNwVFRQSX2xiP3C_iTETD4UjotIngD3ckGLZU3vVZjjaI-PFjjxs4xmCG7fkHdZloLz7Zu1902bX56wS2sbjhKXyp5FVRihopn3AOEJxSPMuu8NRkcs9fz_wN4qUZ7v6Lr3JoYQLRtpLkDoIimr0fO3OySxnwTY7qPtAxz8OuV0ZpkB5X091ZJuRDFSO-fBPk53oWV8isfQM28mNtM2QLb3thWqEITuvyKcG2EidL_S2bZUvVtxEPLKWezWFDzXjhAY6FMB4IbU4Xm_ez7NS2HOL5W7ygU9NoMOYOLff3hJtpw=w1119-h630-no

jkzWgWB36Q9uuTfb3TUO8kQljY46FrDKrytYYHqie16kNigvpvdtwqrN3xTEmvgbswnK87KMW2t5-bC6nLdXfRMh34eZ_rTK-2dTqiAlWnl_LscYfuEYCPXHYOCCuJC-FrUGjLd5DJUq0NavvFXha-qxuPklwQ0SBrdi2Gy4-Pl7svX8wSrcTvDz0PpiQuczop_xmfFtjN8kJ9M_S8XygV4diEUHIGH-c79ncrFexdObKKUXDpiWxQGrKZxzwBgZ3Yk-cSI2Lx6Dyuy82xBzq6y9QzY83edtGxawxC4_2G76U3jGLw5Nlmr_S7uCnf2l9e7R8K2AFWB1K-Ran9rgG2NOEGloRWt3LgiBhEq4iuN5sUvFBgI04AU2fXbj8U2Z_8hM9giKNtcZsivAAVr0_D5nfqSAmNMwJs4rExz23zOE5wyxTeAoyPZVNOboLqu9RyjPv-Fi7cMAFsPqUXpPuUOqMYrNpMKip77MxvGtzcPSiQ87dsgdjJSdTgL19xJm_SH8JODuVul7UOBJBw2eOd535CYsk7XuewWRfCVVKiYd8J2xeg1vp9SZLRdOhb7JVSxN0A=w1119-h630-no

Last edited:
I upgraded my P3 Advanced's firmware from 1.3.20 to 1.4.10 to enable the IOC features & 2.7K camera resolution. After performing an IMU & compass calibration I performed a close in shakedown flight to verify performance. Everything worked perfectly so I headed back to Ft. Armistead Park for another range test. I've always gotten great results here so, aside from the inherent risk of going down in the Bay, this site has proven an excellent area for range testing. Weather conditions were 50 degrees with ground level winds out of the south @ 5-10 mph. This would put the wind on the Phantom's starboard side & I believed would be mostly neutral as far as power calculations.

I launched from Ft. Armistead Park & headed towards the toll plaza on the opposite side of the Bay. I engaged Home Lock right after lift off so I could just keep the stick forward & pan around a bit as I flew out. I slowly climbed out to 400' altitude to ensure I was well above the high-voltage power lines I would encounter along the way. A guy was watching as I prepared for the flight & came over to observe & ask questions. I always enjoy the opportunity to show the tech to folks who are naturally curious, though this sometimes proves distracting when flying.

In no time at all I had passed the toll plaza ~10,000' distant & in only a little over 7 minutes found myself 18,410' away & getting a RTH battery alert with the battery @ 70%. It was only then & AFTER the flight I realized she was booking along at >40 mph so winds aloft were out of the SW & pushing her along. I'd be fighting a headwind on the return trip. Initially I engaged RTH but noticed forward progress was only around 20 mph so I decided to use Home Lock to try & increase speed. Distracted by the bystander's questions I pulled back on the stick not realizing RTH had disengaged Home Lock & it was at least a minute before I realized I had backed away 2000'! :eek:

I flipped the switch back to P-mode & reengaged RTH. I used a combination of RTH & manual control OTW back but speed into the wind was limited to ~21 MPH. I was @ 40% when I reached the toll plaza with nearly 2 miles left to go. At 1800' distant Auto-land kicked in @ 15% battery. I had previously changed that setting to 10% & realized it must have been altered with the firmware update. I took back control and piloted her back manually the remaining 1800' & landed with 7% battery remaining. My visitor was impressed at how calm I remained when he asked what all the beeping was about & at just that moment "Auto-landing initiated" was announced & we couldn't even see the Phantom! He didn't seem to notice but my hands were trembling & I felt a big sense of relief as I landed her in front of us. ;)

I have to say I am totally impressed with the P3. The video down-link was absolutely perfect the entire flight & I am curious just how far this bird will actually fly?. I don't see much of a need for any range upgrades as she can already out fly the battery. Once Spring arrives, the weather warms, & I get a Flytrex installed I will be taking her over to the Eastern Shore where I can let it all hang out over open farmland & dry land where remote landing is feasible. If you would have told me 20 months ago you could buy this thing for only $799 I wouldn't have believed it. DJI....too cool! :cool:

mupIRCUOkHyCfrcWQ7adRV4hGMICs58GdRTlOdRRYm0rEtrAjEViVX3EvjPIzeVA8AU10oJzWJOJCXul6wq7_LU0pPRgmfsgrUy8gz0VAVu85ewHATT3NaxASkkhHCtjMrCg5QAypOYGRij8yiwtf8Alz2P-dr_Q1ugdamiVacX9qm3M0GR-2VRhpV4qc_-gZgB_pNAKdfMEK0tdTgonKh2txurNZRmXtSrte-Acjws7_l5b3oQZszyRk69bmmAszhc4_ezc-YGvYMoSftqZ30TupNwVFRQSX2xiP3C_iTETD4UjotIngD3ckGLZU3vVZjjaI-PFjjxs4xmCG7fkHdZloLz7Zu1902bX56wS2sbjhKXyp5FVRihopn3AOEJxSPMuu8NRkcs9fz_wN4qUZ7v6Lr3JoYQLRtpLkDoIimr0fO3OySxnwTY7qPtAxz8OuV0ZpkB5X091ZJuRDFSO-fBPk53oWV8isfQM28mNtM2QLb3thWqEITuvyKcG2EidL_S2bZUvVtxEPLKWezWFDzXjhAY6FMB4IbU4Xm_ez7NS2HOL5W7ygU9NoMOYOLff3hJtpw=w1119-h630-no

jkzWgWB36Q9uuTfb3TUO8kQljY46FrDKrytYYHqie16kNigvpvdtwqrN3xTEmvgbswnK87KMW2t5-bC6nLdXfRMh34eZ_rTK-2dTqiAlWnl_LscYfuEYCPXHYOCCuJC-FrUGjLd5DJUq0NavvFXha-qxuPklwQ0SBrdi2Gy4-Pl7svX8wSrcTvDz0PpiQuczop_xmfFtjN8kJ9M_S8XygV4diEUHIGH-c79ncrFexdObKKUXDpiWxQGrKZxzwBgZ3Yk-cSI2Lx6Dyuy82xBzq6y9QzY83edtGxawxC4_2G76U3jGLw5Nlmr_S7uCnf2l9e7R8K2AFWB1K-Ran9rgG2NOEGloRWt3LgiBhEq4iuN5sUvFBgI04AU2fXbj8U2Z_8hM9giKNtcZsivAAVr0_D5nfqSAmNMwJs4rExz23zOE5wyxTeAoyPZVNOboLqu9RyjPv-Fi7cMAFsPqUXpPuUOqMYrNpMKip77MxvGtzcPSiQ87dsgdjJSdTgL19xJm_SH8JODuVul7UOBJBw2eOd535CYsk7XuewWRfCVVKiYd8J2xeg1vp9SZLRdOhb7JVSxN0A=w1119-h630-no
Riveting story , I was on the edge of my seat until the end !!
I also recently purchased a P3 Advanced for $799, but I haven't flown it yet, as I am in Pennsylvania, and the weather has not been that great.
I also have a Phantom 3 Standard, I like it, but the range has been disappointing. I do see posts from some who have achieved long distances,with the addition to expensive boosters, but it' s usually over water, and other VERY open areas. The footage from these flights is usually in a straight back & forth line, and not very interesting.
Such wide open areas are not common in many parts of the country.

For some reason it won't let me click on your screenshots...I just see the thumbnails & they are too small to see the detail. In the app go to About & it will show details for the aircraft & RC firmware as well as the app version. Your aircraft firmware has to be 1.4.10 or higher to have the 2.7K rez option.

Ok, as you can see in my second screenshot, it says "1.4.10+".
(Or is it rc firmware??)
I'm confused...

Reactions: Καλλιστώ
For some reason it won't let me click on your screenshots...I just see the thumbnails & they are too small to see the detail. In the app go to About & it will show details for the aircraft & RC firmware as well as the app version. Your aircraft firmware has to be 1.4.10 or higher to have the 2.7K rez option.

Thanks, i'll study later this night...

I am heading to Pennsylvania one day for a windfarm flight. That would be too cool! :cool:

Riveting story , I was on the edge of my seat until the end !!
I also recently purchased a P3 Advanced for $799, but I haven't flown it yet, as I am in Pennsylvania, and the weather has not been that great.
I also have a Phantom 3 Standard, I like it, but the range has been disappointing. I do see posts from some who have achieved long distances,with the addition to expensive boosters, but it' s usually over water, and other VERY open areas. The footage from these flights is usually in a straight back & forth line, and not very interesting.
Such wide open areas are not common in many parts of the country.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
Wow. Very impressive flight. Distance, water, traffic, wind. I'm a long way from attempting anything like that with my P3A. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dirty Bird

You got the upgraded motors. This would of helped with the battery
DJI should design heart rate monitors in to the RC. This would awesome to see you flight log and your heart rate spiking up.

With higher winds aloft, was wondering if you though about descending a bit for the return flight to look for better (less) wind?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

One headwind run home from far out at sea should be enough to keep you from doing that again.
I had one myself and the safety margin I left myself wasn't nearly as much as I thought when I turned for home and found the wind out there was quite a bit stronger than what I was feeling on shore.
Now I always make sure I won't be pushing a substantial headwind coming home from any long flights.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Great story and a vid to match! Thanks DB, great to see you back on PP!:cool:

Do you have a link to 1.4.10 firmware ?

Its one version I am missing from my collection.

thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers