Thoughts on GoPro Karma?

I've got a 4X Hitec charger I'll sell. I bought it for my Yuneec Q500, but don't need it anymore. It looks like new. I bought it 12mos ago. It charges, equalizes, and discharges most any dumb lipo on the market with the appropriate cable. Will sell for $175 PM me if interested.
View attachment 65659
Too much dough for me don't want to spend more than 100 bucks since I only will be charging 2s and 3s batteries thanks anyways

Maybe someone already mentioned it, or I could have missed an update...but the lack of manual exposure in the GoPro platform is a deal-breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

One thing we do know for sure about the Mavic--it will be a new product that comes with dji's legendary (infamous) comittment to customer service. I don't own a GoPro so I have no idea what their customer service is like. Hopefully an improvement on dji.
I have three. Great thing is a beat them into the ground and all they do is keep working. I have dropped them from a moving motorcycle nothing not even a scratch on the housing. They are really durable and great for action work. So I have no idea what their customer service is like since I have never had to send any of them in. My son has a sony 4k action cam.. the image is pretty good but he has sent it back to sony twice. That said I would probably stick to DJI over the Karma.

This is going to be a fun week. Debates tonight, and tomorrow the Mavic announcement. Popcorn time.

If you bought GoPro stock this summer, and saw it go up 50% this week, sell now! Don't wait till tomorrow when the Mavic takes all the wind out of the sails over at GP. Their stock is likely going to tank, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: flpholt
Have any of you seen the Mavic announcment?

DJI's new Mavic Pro drone folds up and fits in the palm of your hand

I don't see any way this isn't the last nail in GoPro's coffin.
Agreed. I actually, as an American, wanted the GoPro Karma to be better than the Mavic and maybe it is but ALL signs point to the industry leader. DJI's customer service isn't really BAD per say by the way guys. Watch as over the next few years, it becomes Americanized more than it is now, you will see American customer service work it's way in more and more.

There is a reason Yuneec and DJI both have seemingly bad customer service and it's a culture thing. In China, you don't return things. There are no warranties. There is also no IP law by the way. None that matters anyway.

So the Chinese are making in roads to the American market like never before with innovation for the first time I can remember in years. I think over the decade, a company (not GoPro) will by way of economics have to jump on the "UAS revolution" and there will be much more competition and an armament of amazing UAS technology. It's going to be an all out war and as we all know, there is no innovator like war.

go pro stock is going down as we speak look it up

It's currently down about a dollar from last Friday (about 4.5%) and while you're right that it is a significant daily decrease, it is also up, even with that drop $3 per share from just September 12th so there was probably built in a little of a DJI hope that Mavic would either be met luke warm or poorly but it is being met with unexpected vigor so I wouldn't look too far into that drop unless of course it continues. It's not an indicator of much AT THIS POINT.

It speaks more to the positive release of the Mavic then anything. We will have to see how the full reviews of the Karma end up. I have actually seen a Karma fly, never saw the video and it was a rock.

All that said, GoPro stock is actually down $15 about from it's year high. And the market (actual money) is 2.4B (again down from about 4 or 5 billion). This is actual cash, not evaluation. I have no idea what the long term evaluation of GoPro is but it certainly looks to be trending downward. Not to turn this into CNBC but since you brought it up. I wouldn't invest in GoPro but I wouldn't in DJI either (if it was public) as it's over valued. I would probably put my money in the broader indexes and leave it there for 20 years. (wait, already did that :).

STOCK TIP: Take $20,000 and invest it in the broader indexes (The Dow, the S&P and the Rusell) and leave it there for 20 years and when you get it (adjust for inflation even) it will be over a million dollars. This is true for any 20 years stretch (including the great depression) that the stock market has been in action. Someone on a plane told me this once and I researched it and **** if it wasn't true. The Russell index by the way is like the Dow but with smaller, ready to break stocks that aren't penny stocks but aren't blue chips. This is sort of the volatile money maker but still safe compared to betting on stocks individually. Always bet on history, not the future.

Last edited:
The Karma does have advantages if you're already into the GoPro ecosystem of mounts and accessories; being able to remove the stabilizer from the Karma (a plus in and of itself) and screw it on to an existing mount set is very cool. If you're already in the market for a Hero5 then buying the Karma makes a lot of sense since you're getting the camera plus the stabilizer *plus* a UAV to put them on. I think there's still a healthy market for the Karma, but it was definitely healthier before this morning...

Reactions: Jussaguy
The Karma does have advantages if you're already into the GoPro ecosystem of mounts and accessories; being able to remove the stabilizer from the Karma (a plus in and of itself) and screw it on to an existing mount set is very cool. If you're already in the market for a Hero5 then buying the Karma makes a lot of sense since you're getting the camera plus the stabilizer *plus* a UAV to put them on. I think there's still a healthy market for the Karma, but it was definitely healthier before this morning...
Pretty well said.

Anyone considering making a switch or adding one to their collection?? I am very much considering selling my P4 and my Hero4 Black to make the switch. I was just about to drop the cash for a DJI Osmo Mobile too...seems like GoPro has picked the game up for sure!!

Unless you need the handheld stabilizer, Mavic seems to be the way to go! And you get to keep your Osmo....

More thoughts on the Karma: I just finished watching the DJI introduction video on the Mavic. Again, I'm no fanboy of DJI or any other company, but darn, I'm completely sold on the Mavic whereas the Karma doesn't push ONE button....not even one button. OK, US company, great, but they still have to put out a product I desire. Yep, if I go out today to replace my beloved P4, it would be the Mavic.

I'm wondering if you can fly it without that clear camera/gimbal which may cause problems.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry sorry sorry to post after a post but...since I'm a long distance flyer, the over 4 mile range of the Mavic is GLARING compared to 3/4 of a mile of the Karma. Karma isn't bad, I'm guessing, but this generation doesn't cut it in the drone world at this time other than the removable gimbal, which I'd never use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.