Thoughts on GoPro Karma?

This kid made a quite valid point

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Withoutthe ability to hand catch u will be breaking props pretty regularly
How da heck can you afford so many drones at your age...
State of the art? Not exactly. There's more post editing needed with GoPro, such as fisheye correction and saturation required. If you use M format for mitigate fisheye, you lose resolution.

There are lots of things to wait and see for a rational decision. I think Mavic will have more of these things below resolved or offered, more than Karma.
1. How is the compass calibrated? Have you ever calibrated a Yuneec drone? Oh my.
2. How long does it take to prepare and wait for the craft to be launch ready? Yuneec TH is like 3 to 4 min.
3. Can you set the RTH height? Yuneec didn't have this option for almost 2yrs, it was stuck at 60'.
4. Are expo settings supported to adjust linearity of the stick controls, smoothing out control of the craft (nobody else but DJI has this so far)
5. Hand launch and catch, is this even possible with the small landing gear of Karma?
6. Will the camera need charged separately, or does the drone battery charge it? IE, will an H4 work without a battery installed in the camera?
7. How bright is the built in display. It doesn't appear you can install a sunshade very easy. Yuneec's built-in display is mediocre, no options.
8. How much control over the camera settings will it have, using the remote? How intuitive and quick will the interface be?
9. Will it have redundant IMU and Compass sensors? This really helped the P4 minimize compass anomalies.
10. What's the range in the real world. It likely uses WiFi, like everyone else. I think 1000 meters is optimistic for Wifi in town, but in the wild or over water I think it's a reasonable estimate. However I expect Mavic to be WiFi also, so that's likely going to be similar range unless they have an antenna on the RC that can be mirrored with a windsurfer (IE, Phantom Std).
11. Will folks be OK with medium format resolution to mitigate fish-eye?
12. Can you only get the Hero 5 in the Karma bundle? Some folks won't like the NON-REPLACEABLE battery in the Hero 5, and want the Hero 4.
13. Is the gimbal pitch speed adjustable? Yuneec's was not on Q500. Is there "smoothing" supported on gimbal pitch control, so stopping a pitch movement isn't so sudden?
14. How stable is the craft hover to shoot a 2 second exposure night photo?
15. Now that I've gotten use to red lights in the front (unconventional) on my Phantoms, will I get confused with red lights in the back (more conventional) with Karma? Probably not an issue, but owning both setups in one fleet could pose some confusion at times.
16. How easy is it to replace a folding prop, and how expensive are they? Folding props cannot be balanced, will this be an issue? Unlikely.
17. With such short landing gear, is there more prop risk when landing, since it looks too risky to hand catch? Probably only in rocky areas.

I could go on, but these are "my thoughts".

You may think some of these issues above are minor nits, and for some people they are just nits, especially GoPro fans that will quickly look the other way. But I've grown to appreciate these niceties in the DJI software and hardware. The more the Go app features are used in the Mavic, the better, IMO. It's going to be an interesting comparison. I fly all time during my travels, vacation and business trips. I try to have all my sales calls done in time for the golden hour, with pre-planned locations to shoot. So having a more portable craft like the Karma or Mavic is an interesting option. Although I'm pretty happy with the portability of my P3P and P4, a Mavic may have a place in my fleet, but I'm not sure I can get along with Wifi communications. I had that in my Q500+ and wasn't happy.
Yup you made a good list and I have to agree ..I had the SOLO from 3Dr and was not happy at all with WiFi..but again I think they are reaching out to different customer base not us hardcore users...I like the Hero 5 image stabilization. Will the Karma need it? Anyways good points you brought up and I'm curious on end user reports

I'm thinking that the release of a GoPro is great because they (GoPro) are HUGE promoters and millions of people already have cameras that will work with the new GoPros. So perhaps that could mean that there will be lots more drones flying out there and that could cause the general public to become more aware of the sport. More public involvement could mean better things for everyone because the drones could come to be seen as a fun-loving friend rather than having the growing reputation of being a "spy in the sky". The more people know about drones the less likely they are to be of the mind set that these devices are totally designed to peek in on peoples' privacy. I mean, that's just my thoughts. Maybe it'll be the opposite. But hopefully once a giant like GoPro gets into the market there will be a greater acceptance of our drones because GoPro is likely to do some major promoting along with public awareness type of educating. And additionally that could lead to better and more consistent "flying rules" and less of some of the ridiculous ones we've seen so far.

I'm thinking that the release of a GoPro is great because they (GoPro) are HUGE promoters and millions of people already have cameras that will work with the new GoPros. So perhaps that could mean that there will be lots more drones flying out there and that could cause the general public to become more aware of the sport. More public involvement could mean better things for everyone because the drones could come to be seen as a fun-loving friend rather than having the growing reputation of being a "spy in the sky". The more people know about drones the less likely they are to be of the mind set that these devices are totally designed to peek in on peoples' privacy. I mean, that's just my thoughts. Maybe it'll be the opposite. But hopefully once a giant like GoPro gets into the market there will be a greater acceptance of our drones because GoPro is likely to do some major promoting along with public awareness type of educating. And additionally that could lead to better and more consistent "flying rules" and less of some of the ridiculous ones we've seen so far.

I share your optimistic vision of the publics acceptance of drones. If all the GoPro fans who take to the air use common sense and fly by the rules, the future should be positive. Hopefully the GoPro Karma Pilots Forum that has formed will educate the new pilots to fly safe and responsibly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm thinking that the release of a GoPro is great because they (GoPro) are HUGE promoters and millions of people already have cameras that will work with the new GoPros.
Actually the Karma is only compatible with Hero 4 and 5. All of the older camera owners will have to buy a camera.

Exactly, family friendly drone is what is needed and I know this is their target market , at least one big one..The promo videos of kids running around, just the hand held , image stabiization in Hero 5, all makes sense and because of their marketing dollars , you are correct there will be one big positive outflow to the masses...we hope!

I love my P4 and would only upgrade to an obviously better drone in the same price range.

I was going to buy an osmo, but have now gone for the Sony rx100 iv, and boy what a camera that is, GoPro could only dream of such a compact box of tricks.

Anyone considering making a switch or adding one to their collection?? I am very much considering selling my P4 and my Hero4 Black to make the switch. I was just about to drop the cash for a DJI Osmo Mobile too...seems like GoPro has picked the game up for sure!!
Not switching but adding. This is a super sweet piece of kit. Portable low profile with a backpack that has included mounts for the included stabiliser gimbal and hero5 black? Yes please. Bring on 23 October.

I love my P4 and would only upgrade to an obviously better drone in the same price range.

I was going to buy an osmo, but have now gone for the Sony rx100 iv, and boy what a camera that is, GoPro could only dream of such a compact box of tricks.
Can't compare this Sony to the GoPro..apple and oranges but I agree that's one nice camera

No dual IMU's or dual compass
No vertical position sensing
No obstacle avoidance
No follow me
No 2.4 ghz video -- wifi-only like my old Phantom 2
20 minute battery life
1000 meter range

It's an action camera, but if you want to video yourself snowboarding down the mountain, or surfing, or running, or biking, you need someone to fly the drone and someone in passenger mode to run the camera

We all want to root for an innovative US company like GoPro, but what they're selling is basically a $799 GoPro camera accessory with a backpack that looks more like a box with some straps on it, a selfie-stick on a gimbal, and a nice camera that requires fisheye correction to have a serious image. Too little, too late.

No dual IMU's or dual compass
No vertical position sensing
No obstacle avoidance
No follow me
No 2.4 ghz video -- wifi-only like my old Phantom 2
20 minute battery life
1000 meter range

It's an action camera, but if you want to video yourself snowboarding down the mountain, or surfing, or running, or biking, you need someone to fly the drone and someone in passenger mode to run the camera

We all want to root for an innovative US company like GoPro, but what they're selling is basically a $799 GoPro camera accessory with a backpack that looks more like a box with some straps on it, a selfie-stick on a gimbal, and a nice camera that requires fisheye correction to have a serious image. Too little, too late.

Yes, there's a lot of things we'll need to wait and see, but on the surface it doesn't look that compelling of a product. I think the GoPro enthusiast will buy one because they don't know the capabilities of DJI's software, camera, and hardware. And they will be happy, until they try others. My biggest deterrent to GoPro products has been the fisheye distortion, which I have to correct in post. Medium format helps, but then you lose resolution. I'm told the H5 has a Linear mode for all resolutions that straightens out the fisheye, but it's the same process as the post correction process with software, where the original clarity is compromised slightly to bend things straight. GoPro must realize this is a problem, but they didn't feel compelled to reduce the FOV overall to 94 degrees like others with optics, to achieve distortion free video.

I use GoPro for diving mostly, a rugged camera. The H5 is a disappointment due to the non-replaceable battery. It's like an iPhone, if the battery wears out you've gotta buy a new device. I don't like forced obsolescence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biggle
Less range, less flight time, less features, folds up a little smaller, smaller viewing screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flight time is the same. Declared flight time for the p4 is 28mins. REAL flight time is max 21mins. Tested Karma flight time is 21mins. So actually the same.
The Karma is the future.

W la figa

So you are required to fly VLOS so what good is a craft that can fly 2 miles or more unless you intend to break the rules.

Not everybody that wants to fly this Chinese drone lives in America.

Regarding flight time, flew my P3S for 13 mins today, noticed the battery was at 49% when I landed, so something like 25 mins seems reasonable? And that's a P3, not a P4.

Not everybody that wants to fly this Chinese drone lives in America.

They may not live in the US but many of the other countries have basically the same rules about flying VLOS. Then there are other countries which have a no drones allowed.

My comment was for one smart @%* living in the south of the US. Of course there are many in this forum that are just like him.

They may not live in the US but many of the other countries have basically the same rules about flying VLOS. Then there are other countries which have a no drones allowed.

My comment was for one smart @%* living in the south of the US. Of course there are many in this forum that are just like him.
I agree Jason, hey by the way and thought to ask you..what Lipo Balance charger do you use, I'm starting a collection of quads and need a decent charger besides the RTF packaged crap..thanks

One thing we do know for sure about the Mavic--it will be a new product that comes with dji's legendary (infamous) comittment to customer service. I don't own a GoPro so I have no idea what their customer service is like. Hopefully an improvement on dji.
Unless they've changed recently, GP customer service seems a lot like DJI's. They do try, they sometimes succeed. Quality control is poor as would be expected from a mass produced, inexpensive bit of high technology. GoPro has managed somehow to avoid fixing a number of longstanding problems in firmware and hardware.

Their MO seems to be to release a new version rather than clean up the bugs from the previous one.

I have several GP cameras and they do work as advertised. Mostly. But I would think that selecting the Karma on the basis of GoPro's customer support to be pretty superficial and likely to be unsatisfying.

I agree Jason, hey by the way and thought to ask you..what Lipo Balance charger do you use, I'm starting a collection of quads and need a decent charger besides the RTF packaged crap..thanks
I've got a 4X Hitec charger I'll sell. I bought it for my Yuneec Q500, but don't need it anymore. It looks like new. I bought it 12mos ago. It charges, equalizes, and discharges most any dumb lipo on the market with the appropriate cable. Will sell for $175 PM me if interested.
upload_2016-9-26_10-24-41.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers