Thoughts on GoPro Karma?

Reaction score
Anyone considering making a switch or adding one to their collection?? I am very much considering selling my P4 and my Hero4 Black to make the switch. I was just about to drop the cash for a DJI Osmo Mobile too...seems like GoPro has picked the game up for sure!!

doesn't have good range plus battery time is less than phantoms also cant use your own tablet stuck with there screen

I think it's pretty cool. Small and compact and there will be distance mods just like anything else. Not sold on controller tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Keep your GoPro Black. Buy a kite, tie the GoPro to the kite and you are much better off in this way...no FCC regulations, no battery limitations, no firmware problems.

doesn't have good range plus battery time is less than phantoms also cant use your own tablet stuck with there screen

So you are required to fly VLOS so what good is a craft that can fly 2 miles or more unless you intend to break the rules.

So you are required to fly VLOS so what good is a craft that can fly 2 miles or more unless you intend to break the rules.
always fly out miles so wouldn't work for me

I was really hoping the Karma was going to be something really cool. But it isn't. Its just an accessory for the GoPro. No collision avoidance, no follow me. Paired with a gimbaled stick. Even the email I received yesterday didn't mention anything about the Karma in the subject line. You had to open the email and scroll to the bottom... Their promo video spends just as much time on the gimbaled stick as the Karma.

I don't think its awful but its a lot less than I expected capability-wise. Its not in the same class as the P4 or P3 for that matter but its obvious GoPro wasn't after that...

I gotta admit I was drawn in to the hype at the beginning........all the fancy reveal and all..........but I'm over it now. After all the facts and specs are out, it's kind of a letdown. I'll keep my Phantom. It does great, follows me around, works well with the app and the DBS mod.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm ordering one. I am not a distance flyer, and plan on using it for real estate work, etc. I like the gimbal stick because when I am done with aerial shots, I can move right to interior/ground shots. I can also take the tiny 4K cam on trips or whatever. Has stereo mics also. The dedicated controller is supposed to be very bright for outdoor use, we will see. Portability looks good. Not giving up my Phantoms, just see this as an extension to the photography aspect, which looks to be a pretty nice camera for the $$. Getting the 5 Black for sure.

I'm ordering one. I am not a distance flyer, and plan on using it for real estate work, etc. I like the gimbal stick because when I am done with aerial shots, I can move right to interior/ground shots. I can also take the tiny 4K cam on trips or whatever. Has stereo mics also. The dedicated controller is supposed to be very bright for outdoor use, we will see. Portability looks good. Not giving up my Phantoms, just see this as an extension to the photography aspect, which looks to be a pretty nice camera for the $$. Getting the 5 Black for sure.

due I get to fly it

I certainly am not replacing my P4 with the Karma, however IF all works as advertised, and is well engineered, it does seem attractive for action/event use. The lack of follow-me it's hard to fathom. The bundling of the gimbal stick is genius, however (camera with gimbal detach from copter).
I'm not ready to dismiss, yet neither can I embrace it until early adopters weigh in.

I jumped at the P4 and got lucky, mine has been faultless. This time however, I shall act my age and wait until the Karma and mavic have been tested and appraised back to back.

I like the look of the Karma for sure and the lack of features doesn't bother me as I rarely fly out beyond 1km, don't use OA and I've only used follow me once.

Whatever the pilot wants and needs I guess, might be on my Christmas list ;)

Videos from GoPro have fisheye. You'll have to correct that every time you shoot, such a hassle. That craft hasn't even been vetted yet. This is GoPro's first craft, it's not going to be anything close to a Phantom, especially with the software nuances that make the GO app so good (expos, gimbal smoothing, pitch rate, histogram, etc.). That small screen is for kids, no way would I be happy with that dinky thing.

Reactions: bwhaler11
I certainly am not replacing my P4 with the Karma, however IF all works as advertised, and is well engineered, it does seem attractive for action/event use. The lack of follow-me it's hard to fathom. The bundling of the gimbal stick is genius, however (camera with gimbal detach from copter).
I'm not ready to dismiss, yet neither can I embrace it until early adopters weigh in.
You're a wise man. Wait until the truth comes out. There are so many things that can be wrong, no way they got it right the first time. Look at the Typhoon H, and Yuneec isn't new to this market. This technology isn't trivial, there is a lot of software that needs to be perfected. Look at DJI, 4yrs selling Phantoms/Inspire/M600/S1000/S900 etc..... and they still have nuances in their s/w they're tweaking. 4yrs!

Reactions: umneycreep and Kman
I demand miles of range but the Karma is advertised at less than a mile. It may be a fine drone but it doesn't interest me at all after it was released.

Reactions: flpholt

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl