Thoughts of having GPS trackers on Drones.

Just one more way for the "man" to keep track of you. :D;)

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Been curious about these myself and if it will interfere with the GPS in the drone. My question is if you have a fly away and once the battery is dead, you now can't track it unless you download the flight log and use that information with another GPS to find it. I've heard of that new one being advertised "Ping" suppose to last for months. Curious to hear of anyone else's experiences. Would like to have something else myself.

I don't currently use a GPS tracker. I opted for the MarcoPolo as it suits my needs. I have a couple PING devices on order awaiting their release hopefully this summer. If it doesn't work out for flying then I have other uses for them.

Reactions: rlphoto69
is it usual to put GPS trackers on drones? and can anyone suggest a good but cheap GPS tracker??

btw newbie drone user here.
Man reading this post all day had to reply,,,yes tracker very good idea and should be add to firmware of all drones so they can be found,,fixed ?? and reflown,,the price you pay for this adiction you want it bac

Reactions: rlphoto69
If anyone tries this and all works well, I'd like to hear your results

For the sake of £30 I may just buy one.

It even looks like it'd mount with ease too after removing the strap as it would tie-wrap easily.

Been experimenting with TRACKIMO. It is a cellular device containing a GPS receiver. It can triangulate if Sats are blocked and there are sufficient 2D capable cell towers to plot a general location. Tower triangulation was disappointing (and generally inadequate for precise drone retrieval). But the GPS worked as expected.

The 2D does not work well in rural areas where 2D service is nonexistent or being phased out. I have a 3D on order to benchmark against the 2D. News at Eleven.

Been experimenting with TRACKIMO. It is a cellular device containing a GPS receiver. It can triangulate if Sats are blocked and there are sufficient 2D capable cell towers to plot a general location. Tower triangulation was disappointing (and generally inadequate for precise drone retrieval). But the GPS worked as expected.

The 2D does not work well in rural areas where 2D service is nonexistent or being phased out. I have a 3D on order to benchmark against the 2D. News at Eleven.
i also just purchased their 3G device and works great for me

Good to know! Mine arrived after I had to make an emergency trip out of town. So I'll have to wait until I return before I can test it.

have you encounter some problems on your Trackimo device? have you already tested it?

I was not terribly impressed with the 2G version until I was able to get to an area where the local cell towers are still supporting 2G.

My new 3G unit failed to power up. Battery was DOA. I'm on another trip. As soon as I return, I'll be making a trip to the local battery store to try again. I'll have more details later this week.

Update 5/15/17: Metered and discovered that batteries for both units are dead and you can't just run down to Batteries Plus to replace them. Apparently they are private labeled and made to Trackimo's specs. I'm returning both units and will try another 3G unit before passing final judgement.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20