Thought it was Bye bye fc40 but had a great ending after all

Reaction score
went out to take a flight today and got the fc 40 a bit out to far and was hard to see it and when I tried to bring her closer she stopped responding and so i flipped the switch to fail safe and i could see it go in to a hover then it started going away from me intill I could not see it any more and now shes gone. :-( I had all my green lights and every thing before I took off and in till she took off she was flying great. Now it was its last flight and only its second real flight out side of the back yard.

UPDATE I went out to try and see if there was any hope of even finding my phantom again after the fly away today. I rode my bike around all over the general direction of were it was last seen heading and could not find it and decided it was never going to be seen again and started heading him and I seen a guy a few blocks away out working in his yard and want going to bother him but decided he its worth a shot to ask him if he was out side earlier and happened to of seen any thing fly by his way. and he says. was it like a little white helicopter?" Then says ya it landed in the yard next door a little while ago and points to it. lol lol :) and there she was just parked on the side walk and it made a perfect landing only it was 5 blocks from home. I got it home and hooked up the naza software and i seen I had my fail safe settings wrong and some how it was switched to just land instead of a safe land were it goes up to 20 meters then home. BUT I was able to get the entire flight on the video and its really cool to see it fly around then make a perfect touch down in the yard and it even some how avoided some trees and some roof tops to. and to top it off I found it just a few minutes before it started to rain which I'm sure would not of been to cool if it got rained on.

I'm elated to of gotten it back and the video to. I really thought she was a goner.

Re: Thought it was Bye bye fc40 but had a great ending after

Can you post that flight on youtube? I'd love to see it lol

Finely got it up loaded to utube and got the last 5 minutes of time edited out were it was just sitting till the camera shut off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ER8oqdtvYw

After closely watching the vid a few times I see a lil bit more of what went wrong and I think after i finely regained site of it for a bit right as it went in to the fail safe hover that it does is right at the point that from were I was standing it looked like it was going away from me then I could not see it due to the surroundings. But Now i think when I thought it was going away from the home point was just an optical illusion and I think was really just seeing it go down not really going farther away. and being it was set to land when it went in to fail safe instead of coming home first. As well as seeing how long the video was it was also probably low on power to. So in a way it did do exactly what it thought it was supposed to do. I'm just really glad my mistake of having the fail safe not set to come home before landing din't cost me $500 I got smart and decided to put my phone number on it in case I ever do lose it again. and I'm also going to get a better timer and a battery alarm so I can also keep better track of the time on the battery to.

Did my eyes deceive me or did it hit a tree and the wires twice on it's way up? :mrgreen:
Glad you got it back. Sucks to watch your $$$ fly away. Is that somewhere in PA?

Well first it hit the very top of the neibors fence a lil bit and t tried to flip over there fence in to there yard before it hit the trees and tried to hug the power wires a bit. In my oh no no oh no moment. (tho the word no were actually a word that stars with an F and ends with a K ) While Trying to keep it from crashing in the persons yard Right at the beginning of the flight.

Which I even forgot all about the first part of my take off till I watched the video after getting her home. When I got it back and it was sitting from its nice easy landing I was puzzled as to why the heck the top of it had all sorts of black scuff marks on it as well as the leading edges of my props. So I was expecting to see on the vid at some point after I lost control of it hitting some ones roof or some thing else black and gooey.

Sucks to watch your $$$ fly away. Is that somewhere in PA?

Actually I'm in up state ny just outside of Albany. In the video the river seen Hudson river. Right below where the Mohawk River joins in to the Hudson and for a few seconds were the camera is facing north were the rivers split and the big water falls you can see the entrance locks that lets boats get to the top of the falls and in to the start of the the Erie and Champlain Canals.

I'm really impressed with the video that tiny lil camera on the FC40 takes and how far it can see even on a over cast day like it was yesterday.

NY would of been my second guess. You can tell it is someplace from the early days of America. I live about a 1/4 mile from the Erie canal further down the line to towards Rochester/Buffalo.

hahaha, thats great!

How did the homeowner not notice it for a full day?

How did the homeowner not notice it for a full day?
It was a few hours at most but it didn't look like any one was home. But I think my phantom has some affinity for that area tho. Today I was flying and was flying great for about 4 or 5 minutes then the air got real cold and windy like a storm was coming and tryed to being her in and was having a real hard time fighting the wind. Even in hover I could hear her trying to fly full speed just to keep its postion. and was having a hard time so I again tried to do a fail safe to come home knowing I had it set not to just land and to instead come home first then land and were if its below 20 meters its supposed to go up first. But being there is one tree thats just a bit higher then that I raise her up to a good 100 feet or so then flipped the switch thinking that if over 20 meters It would stay at what ever altitude it was at and would just come home and no fear of it hitting any thing. NOPE it hovered like its supposed to then it descended Down to about 20 meters then started making a bee line home. only thing is tho there is this one big tall tree that is RIGHT across the street from were it landed yesterday. and as my luck would have it I lost site of the phantom. so I ran toward that direction. and could not see it any ware in the sky. BUT I turned the fail safe off and hit the left lever to try and bring it up so I could see it. and I hear this sound coming from some were every time I hit the lever. and went toward the sound. and there she was UP in the dam tree across the street from were it landed yesterday. all tangled up in the brand new prop guards I JUST! put on it before that flight. Dam it! it was right about 20 meters up to and just about at the very top of the tree. and tangled up good to. I spent about 5 minuts trying to get it to fly out of the tree cause there was no way to of been able to of gotten it out that high up and on thin branches It eventually broke free By rocking it side to side while hitting the throttle on and off. Then she busted lose and came straight down to there side walk way. Busted 2 of the guards and chipped the hell out of one of the props to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.