Thought I had a fly away - RTC

Reaction score
Yikes! I was out testing Naza mode and flew out about 750M to some trees on the horizon. As I was turning for home my video feed was breaking up so I decided to use the home lock feature. That's when the phantom headed for China and I had that sinking feeling ............:

After some switch flicking I realised I had control but it was wild and not helped by strong wind higher up about 100 meters. I really struggled to get it home then tried home lock again only for it to go wild again. After a real struggle in the wind I managed a fairly bumpy landing on grass that ended in a garden hedge but fortunately no damage was done. On closer inspection I spotted the right hand switch was in ATTI mode so I must have flicked that accidentally and I guess that's what stopped GPS lock on home, lack of hovering and drifting on the high wind

Now my heart rate has returned to normal I've ordered the Rave Aerial mount to replace the one I've been using as it obscures my vision and I think contributed to the problem in that I cannot see the switches and it interferes with the controls
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448806153.713531.jpg

Hopefully that's a lesson learned and fortunately no damage done

In the plus side I guess that was my first ATTI flight and landing. Not bad for my third flight :)

Sadly no video footage to remind me. That was another bad idea of mine. I changed the GoPro to one button use and I'm not getting along with that it seems I started and stopped the video recording before it took off :(

Yikes! I was out testing Naza mode and flew out about 750M to some trees on the horizon. As I was turning for home my video feed was breaking up so I decided to use the home lock feature. That's when the phantom headed for China and I had that sinking feeling ............:

After some switch flicking I realised I had control but it was wild and not helped by strong wind higher up about 100 meters. I really struggled to get it home then tried home lock again only for it to go wild again. After a real struggle in the wind I managed a fairly bumpy landing on grass that ended in a garden hedge but fortunately no damage was done. On closer inspection I spotted the right hand switch was in ATTI mode so I must have flicked that accidentally and I guess that's what stopped GPS lock on home, lack of hovering and drifting on the high wind

Now my heart rate has returned to normal I've ordered the Rave Aerial mount to replace the one I've been using as it obscures my vision and I think contributed to the problem in that I cannot see the switches and it interferes with the controls
View attachment 36784

In the plus side I guess that was my first ATTI flight and landing. Not bad for my third flight :)

Sadly no video footage to remind me. That was another bad idea of mine. I changed the GoPro to one button use and I'm not getting along with that it seems I started and stopped the video recording before it took off :(

I am just the opposite and find the one button very useful. When using two buttons I sometimes forget to start the recording or like you turn it on then off not noticing that it isn't recording. I agree that mount is a pain as it not only blocks your view of the switches plus it's unstable.

View attachment 36784

Yes, that mount puts the monitor way too close for me. What keeps the Rave mount from pivoting forward on the bottom metal bar?

The rave mount slips over antenna and snaps onto the bottom bar. There is one on Shapeways that goes on the same way but the monitor base is adjustable.
DJI Phantom - FPV Monitor Mount by questpact on Shapeways
I see from the image that it slips over the antenna, but what keeps it from pivoting forward and then down with the weight of the monitor on it? And if there is a windsurfer antenna booster on the RC antenna (it also - friction fit - slides down over the antenna mount), which I have, then both of those styles of monitor mount cannot be used.

I use the carbon fiber vertical brackets that bolt to the RC bars with the carbon fiber top plate on them to mount the monitor.

I see from the image that it slips over the antenna, but what keeps it from pivoting forward and then down with the weight of the monitor on it? And if there is a windsurfer antenna booster on the RC antenna (it also - friction fit - slides down over the antenna mount), which I have, then both of those styles of monitor mount cannot be used.

I use the carbon fiber vertical brackets that bolt to the RC bars with the carbon fiber top plate on them to mount the monitor.

I use the same monitor mount.
IMG_1112.jpg

Reactions: Gary E
View attachment 36826

On the other leg of the mount I have a DVR recorder to record video/telemetry of each flight. You can call me cheap but I will not put anything on my P2 that require a monthly fees.

View attachment 36826

Hi Jason,
the cloverleaf antenna has a minimum reception at 0 deg and 180 deg from main axis. By mounting it the way you show on your pic it seems to point to the direction of the P2 with it's signal minimum. Only helical or flat antennae should point to the tx, while a cloverleaf shall be held vertically... Just an idea.

Hi Jason,
the cloverleaf antenna has a minimum reception at 0 deg and 180 deg from main axis. By mounting it the way you show on your pic it seems to point to the direction of the P2 with it's signal minimum. Only helical or flat antennae should point to the tx, while a cloverleaf shall be held vertically... Just an idea.

All the signal from a cloverleaf antenna come from the sides and very little from the top. That is old photo on the monitor I use a RX cloverleaf and a 13dbi SpiroNet Patch antenna. While on the P2 there is RX (not a TX) cloverleaf attach to immersion 600mw TX.and I get very little video dropouts.
This video is excellent if you haven't seen it before.

All the signal from a cloverleaf antenna come from the sides and very little from the top. That is old photo on the monitor I use a RX cloverleaf and a 13dbi SpiroNet Patch antenna. While on the P2 there is RX (not a TX) cloverleaf attach to immersion 600mw TX.and I get very little video dropouts.
This video is excellent if you haven't seen it before.

Nice video! Hovever, a clover-leaf antenna is omnidirectional in the horizontal plane only. In the vertical plane, it shows two minimums at 0 deg and 180 deg, see here. With a diversity receiver, probably you will not run into problems.

Nice video! Hovever, a clover-leaf antenna is omnidirectional in the horizontal plane only. In the vertical plane, it shows two minimums at 0 deg and 180 deg, see here. With a diversity receiver, probably you will not run into problems.

With the setup I am using I have no problems whatsoever..

I mounted mines vertically as I would only fly over head when I'm landing or taking off and even then I'm well within signal range. So no issues

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj