This would be a great help. Is it possible?

Reaction score
HI All

When I started flying the Phantom I knew that just looking at it was not for me, because being of advanced years my sight is not comparable to that of a Greek God.
Far from it in fact, so when I orderd the kit I also invested in the Live View KIt as well. I did have some trouble with it, and in the interim I just flew the Phantom with a GoPro recording everything and the ''Better Half'' being a spotter (Also with a video camera filming it all as well) .
In addition I added for a while a light tether just in case. This worked well as I had about 150 ft of line to play with, and the downwash of the props kept it well below the Phantom frame. It had NO trouble lifting the line. Where I practice there are NO obstacles at all.
Here's a little video of it in action, this is a first flight so ........

https://vimeo.com/64720911

So now the FPV works well but it is on the 7" monitor, bigger ones are mega expensice. OK that's alright but it set me wondering if there is a way to connect the monitor to say a bigger laptop. Which I just happen to have handy.
The Gp Pro has an A/V out and it says you can add goggles for a second person etc, so why not a laptop. It would be self powered, but I am not a techie and have no idea what is involved.

Is there a way?

Cheers

What model/brand of monitor and laptop are you using? I don't see why this wouldn't work, either you hook up the monitor as a second monitor/playback monitor on you laptop through a standard DVI connector/adapter. I would try an electronics store like Frys or Best Buy and explain what you want to do, they should be knowledgable on hooking up video monitors and have the cables you'll need. OR, depending on your fpv set up, it could be possible to hook the fpv directly into your laptop. Although I can't be sure on the latter.

That is an idea, but I think it would take a bit of doing and may end up costing more than actually buying a bigger screen for your FPV.

For most laptops, as far a I know, there is no video "in" port. The only way I can think of accomplishing what you are suggesting is to find a video capture card that will fit into your pci port, supposing you have a pci expansion slot and are able to find a video capture card for the slot. Then you would need to find the software to be able to view it on the laptop monitor.

phantomoperator said:
HI All

When I started flying the Phantom I knew that just looking at it was not for me, because being of advanced years my sight is not comparable to that of a Greek God.
Far from it in fact, so when I orderd the kit I also invested in the Live View KIt as well. I did have some trouble with it, and in the interim I just flew the Phantom with a GoPro recording everything and the ''Better Half'' being a spotter (Also with a video camera filming it all as well) .
In addition I added for a while a light tether just in case. This worked well as I had about 150 ft of line to play with, and the downwash of the props kept it well below the Phantom frame. It had NO trouble lifting the line. Where I practice there are NO obstacles at all.
Here's a little video of it in action, this is a first flight so ........

https://vimeo.com/64720911

So now the FPV works well but it is on the 7" monitor, bigger ones are mega expensice. OK that's alright but it set me wondering if there is a way to connect the monitor to say a bigger laptop. Which I just happen to have handy.
The Gp Pro has an A/V out and it says you can add goggles for a second person etc, so why not a laptop. It would be self powered, but I am not a techie and have no idea what is involved.

Is there a way?

Cheers

Great idea !, I shared your video in other forums and got crazy :)
Here i share my experience hopeing help to develop your idea. I've connected almost any video source to watch it on my laptop:

1) Check your Live Video Kit, specifically the reciever. If lucky, it has an AV Out Port. if YES, proceed to step 2), otherwise jump to step 5)
2) Buy a cheap USB or PCI TV/Video capturer (U$20 - U$30) and configure it in your laptop + Install software to watch it (included with USB device)
3) Connect Video (optional audio) cables from your reciever AV/ouput to the USB capturer in your laptop (USB capture device always come with requiered cables and adapters)
4) Launch Software to Watch / Capture video on your laptop, and choose AV inputo or RGB input or Analog input instead TV. You should see on your laptop the FPV video feed. That Works great, even, I have "exported" Laptop screen to 32" LCD TV and looks great. May be on weekend I can film the step by step for support this case. END.

5) Check with your Video Kit dealer if there is N additional compatible receiver FOR YOUR LIVE VIEW KIT (cheaper as U$40-U$60) that include AV/output. Buy it and after connect it to power or battery, you can proceed with step 2). May need RCA video and adapter cables for this case. If you can send pictures of your receiver / kit I can help ahead.

You can get 9" and larger monitors intended for use in vehicles. These will have standard composite video inputs and run off of 12 volts. Of course you'll have to figure out your own way to power them but could probably use one of those rechargeable portable power packs that have cigarette lighter outlets on them for that.

Here is an example:

http://www.carelectronicsworld.com/cvtm-c100.html

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31