This was scary (and it broke my drone)

Reaction score
I received my PV2+ back from repair (flex ribbon & new wiring harness) last Monday and took it out for it's first flight today. I went up to a mountain area (Bear Mtn for those of you in NJ/NY). It was really windy and I couldn't find any (read: zero) GPS satellites after trying to calibrate in two locations in a valley. Figuring that poor GPS reception was probably to be expected in that terrain, I decided to take it up to a lookout point that I know of that was at much higher elevation thinking that, maybe, I could get reception there. No dice.

However when I took it out of its case and set it up, I drew a crowd. People were asking questions, wanting to take pictures and video, etc so I obliged and told them that due to the wind an my lack of GPS, I wouldn't be launching it but that I'd turn the props on so they could see. All was normal until I went to turn the props off. i pulled both sticks down and toward the center of the remote (as I always do) and instead of turning off, the propellers accelerated to what sounded like full throttle. Strangely, the phantom didn't lift off. Instead, it tipped over (propellers still going full-speed) the camera came off the gimbal and the flex ribbon got severed.

My main goal is trying to figure out what could have gone wrong.

The control was on, neither of the switches were thrown (putting it in RTH mode), WiFi signal was good...everything was completely normal until I tried to shut the props off. Luckily, the copter didn't lift off and hit one of the many people gathered around it in the face!

I've been trying to connect both the phantom and the remote to my laptop (macbook pro running osx 10.9.5 "Mavericks). No matter what I do, the laptop won't see the phantom or the remote when connected via usb. Something seems really messed up and I'm trying to sort it out and hoping maybe some of you can help me shed some light on what could have happened this afternoon and what I can do to get my laptop to see the connected devices?

Always stop the motors by keeping the left stick pulled down for few seconds.

Pacific Barbarian said:
Always stop the motors by keeping the left stick pulled down for few seconds.
What he said.
What happened to you is quite common if you try to use CSC to stop the motors. Pulling back on the sticks also tells the Phantom to move and it will try to move by reving the motors on one side.

I can't imagine how the camera could come off by tipping over on the ground. The worst that should have happened was a couple of broken propellers.

I have seen this happen a dozen times with all different types of quads. The high winds cause the IMU or the internal accelerometer to vibrate and the quad tries to stabilize itself by throttling up the motors. You are then inputting rotation and direction. Since it is still on the ground it just rolls over. You would have been better off lifting off.

There is also the chance that you had a motor running in reverse. Not all repair shops know what they are doing. I have a gimbal being sent to me from Saudi Arabia, 3 different shops have worked on it..... I dont know why they just dont buy a new one but I look forward to the challenge.

I can't imagine how the camera could come off by tipping over on the ground. The worst that should have happened was a couple of broken propellers.

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I had it sitting on top of it's case so when it rolled, it rolled over off of the case and bounced around a bit when the props struck the ground (keep in mind they stayed at full speed until I turned the battery off which I've also never seen it do). So, how should I turn the props off in the future? Just use the left stick, not both?

resulto said:

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I had it sitting on top of it's case so when it rolled, it rolled over off of the case and bounced around a bit when the props struck the ground (keep in mind they stayed at full speed until I turned the battery off which I've also never seen it do). So, how should I turn the props off in the future? Just use the left stick, not both?

yup. Hold left stick down for 3-5 seconds.

If you want to do a proper CSC (in the case of an emergency), do it in 2 moves. Pull both sticks down and then move them into the centre. DO NOT CSC by moving the sticks diagnally.

Mako79 said:
If you want to do a proper CSC (in the case of an emergency), do it in 2 moves. Pull both sticks down and then move them into the centre. DO NOT CSC by moving the sticks diagnally.

that still could cause a dip over, first move the throttle down before moving the directional stick out of center ( can be moved diagonally once the throttle is down )

The gimbal probably came apart because it wasn't repaired properly. The lower arm needs to be secured to the small pin of the roll motor with a strong glue or threadlocker. If this is not done, the magnets will still hold things in place, but it can be knocked out again easily. The only way to see if it's glued properly is to try and pull it apart a bit.

Panamon Creel said:
Mako79 said:

that still could cause a dip over, first move the throttle down before moving the directional stick out of center ( can be moved diagonally once the throttle is down )

Ahh... ok... I actually thought that the proper method was pulling both sticks diagonally down to shut the motors off. I guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time and have just been lucky. Thanks for explaining!

While we're on the topic, have any of you changed your own control ribbon? Doesn't seem too daunting but I didn't know if there's anything I should be aware of about opening up the gimbal? I've seen some videos about how to correct the horizon if the camera isn't straight once I put the ribbon in but haven't seen much in the way of tutorials on changing out the ribbon on the V2+

Pretty much did the same thing when I first got it, but luckily just resulted in some grass stains. I rarely now do the CSC shut-down these days and simply hold the left stick all the way down once on the ground or hand caught and held still. Just takes a few seconds to shut down.

resulto said:
Panamon Creel said:
Mako79 said:

Ahh... ok... I actually thought that the proper method was pulling both sticks diagonally down to shut the motors off. I guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time and have just been lucky. Thanks for explaining!

While we're on the topic, have any of you changed your own control ribbon? Doesn't seem too daunting but I didn't know if there's anything I should be aware of about opening up the gimbal? I've seen some videos about how to correct the horizon if the camera isn't straight once I put the ribbon in but haven't seen much in the way of tutorials on changing out the ribbon on the V2+

The last couple I have started at the top and it has proven much easier. Be careful of the top clip, it has a dark plastic pivoting retainer that is designed to hinge up but it is very fragile on its retaining ends. If it breaks off you will have to reinsert it and wedge it in place carefully with needle nose. You must make sure it is centered if you have to reinsert the wedge.

The next connection can be completed with a bent paper clip to hook the back hinging retainer and then a flat bladed screwdriver to press it back down.

The bottom connection will be a little difficult. You will need to open the back of the camera and then wind the ribbon cable in on itself. This final connection can be made easier with some round nose tweezers. The cable has stops or locating lugs, make sure they are seated.

Panamon Creel said:
Mako79 said:

Good point Creel.

Well, come to think of it... it's an emergency, I would just do the diagonal and shut the motors off quick-fast!. I don't think I would have the time to think. 99% of the time I hold down or keep the phantom still in the air when caught and she powers down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik