This... THIS is why DJI puts flight restrictions into the Firmware. . .

One should have realized that those aircraft while static, did not get there by driving on a road. There is a runway that we should be 5 miles away from! B4U fly!

Just wondering how did those planes get there? A private airport/runway that was closed and built up around?

I've seen much much much worse then this, and I think we can all honestly say we've broke a rule or two(or more); one or more times.

I know I have, after studying for part 107 and becoming familiar with aeronautical charts, I realized a lot of the beaches I have flown at. I shouldn't have...lesson learned.

Educate, take caution and happy flying. FYI, I like Ken think he is a pretty good pilot too. But what do I know...

Over here in the UK there is no restriction on how high a sub 7KG recreational drone (as opposed to a professional flyer) can be flown; although a lot of people are duped into thinking there is. The only hight/distance restriction for a sub 7KG recreational drone is that it must remain in unaided LOS, you can use goggles but you must have a competent spotter and if you are flying FPV your height restriction is 1000ft.

Sounds like the "rules" in the U.K. Might be a lot like they are here where you have to be an attorney and an airspace expert to figure out what's a rule, a guideline, a proposed rule, or something on some regulator's wish list.

If people were just a little more responsible there wouldn't be any trouble with the FAA or any other agencies.

Common sense and a little forethought would solve almost everything.

Sounds like the "rules" in the U.K. Might be a lot like they are here where you have to be an attorney and an airspace expert to figure out what's a rule, a guideline, a proposed rule, or something on some regulator's wish list.
I forgot to add that if you're flying FPV in the UK that your craft can not exceed 3.5KG, I've edited my original post.

If people were just a little more responsible there wouldn't be any trouble with the FAA or any other agencies.

Common sense and a little forethought would solve almost everything.

While people being responsible helps to make less "trouble" with the government, all drone operators can be completely responsible, with virtually no harmful incidents, and politicians and citizens can still act out of paranoia to enact legislation. And, the FAA can still implement onerous rules, if they want to demonstrate their power and control. In the real world, being responsible with your freedoms does not always mean that government will always be reasonable in allowing them to be sensibly regulated.

As far as actual individual hobbyists getting into "trouble" with the FAA, I've heard very few stories. It seems that the vast majority of drone operators are being responsible, because, given the huge number of drones being flown in the world, there are relatively very few incidents of people or property being seriously injured.

Reactions: PD1015
Ken VLOGS while driving, he flys way out of visual range and way too high. I find he's a very irresponsible representative for the drone community. Even Casey neistat breaks every rule in the book and it drives me crazy because he can produce great content but now that he flys his drone in his VLOGS every wannabe YouTube vlogger does the exact same thing.

Reactions: snerd
This fellow UAS operator inadvertently demonstrated exactly why DJI has implemented Flight Restrictions into firmware:

Granted some will still find a way around this (if you're AUTHORIZED you can request and be granted a work around from DJI but that's not easy to get) but it could help avoid some potential "incidents".
I'm not trying to break any laws

Ken VLOGS while driving, he flys way out of visual range and way too high. I find he's a very irresponsible representative for the drone community. Even Casey neistat breaks every rule in the book and it drives me crazy because he can produce great content but now that he flys his drone in his VLOGS every wannabe YouTube vlogger does the exact same thing.

I find Casey Neistat's flying to be reckless and irresponsible; Ken, on the other hand is a safe and responsible pilot, even if he does bend the rules. Well, maybe he should be jailed for VLOGing while driving, that's a whole hell of a lot more dangerous than anything he's done with a drone.

He's not playing by the rules in the video I posted. In fact, the video should be sent to the FAA so they can make a training video of what not to do with your new drone.

#1- FPV without a spotter. Maybe there was a spotter, but I didn't see one. You can't fly FPV anyways, it's against the rules:)

#2- The flight broke FAA guidelines by flying 1,100 feet past the 400 foot recommendation. I'm sure we've all broke the 400 foot rule a few times, I have, but to fly up to 1,500 feet, with FPV goggles on, and then post it to YouTube is just plain stupid in my book.

You guys might want to brush up on the real rules, instead of watching and following people like this.
I will now endeaver to follow you instead.

Yes, I think so many people are willing to pass judgement that they missed the point of GEO. GEO will help people. Many people might not know all the restricted areas. GEO gives them the ability to know where these areas are when they take off.

Reactions: mikesmiley
IMG_1833.PNG
Just wondering how did those planes get there? A private airport/runway that was closed and built up around?

He's not playing by the rules in the video I posted. In fact, the video should be sent to the FAA so they can make a training video of what not to do with your new drone.

#1- FPV without a spotter. Maybe there was a spotter, but I didn't see one. You can't fly FPV anyways, it's against the rules:)

#2- The flight broke FAA guidelines by flying 1,100 feet past the 400 foot recommendation. I'm sure we've all broke the 400 foot rule a few times, I have, but to fly up to 1,500 feet, with FPV goggles on, and then post it to YouTube is just plain stupid in my book.

You guys might want to brush up on the real rules, instead of watching and following people like this.
#1 - That rule is an AMA rule and not FAA.
#2 - The 400 foot is a guideline and nothing else. There is no law that says you must operate under 400 feet. If you are near an airport, common sense takes precedence not to go over a certain height.

Reactions: PTG
Last weekend I was flying around a small lake and keeping it under 200 feet. Before take off I got a message that I was close to a unpaved runway and to proceed with caution. I knew that about 3 miles away there was an outfitter with float planes and that why I kept VLOS and low. Some one that did nor know the area would have not have a heads up without GEO. This is a good thing, we live in big countries with mega places to fly, GEO is a good tool to keep our air ways safe. In other posts I see many people bit'chin that they are telling us where we can't fly, hell ya, I don't want to have to find and calculate all the airstrips every time I travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj