This... THIS is why DJI puts flight restrictions into the Firmware. . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This fellow UAS operator inadvertently demonstrated exactly why DJI has implemented Flight Restrictions into firmware:

Granted some will still find a way around this (if you're AUTHORIZED you can request and be granted a work around from DJI but that's not easy to get) but it could help avoid some potential "incidents".

Not sure what your point is, this is a static aircraft display.

Obviously the point is, to anyone with half a brain, is that you shouldn't be flying anywhere near any type of aircraft, static or otherwise.. There are always going to be people who, despite being made aware of the dangers that are present still persist in ignoring the warnings and restrictions (and seem to believe they are clever in doing so) with no thought for the rest of the community and the problems and increase in restrictions that they cause due to their own thoughtless actions.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Obviously the point is, to anyone with half a brain, is that you shouldn't be flying anywhere near any type of aircraft, static or otherwise.. There are always going to be people who, despite being made aware of the dangers that are present still persist in ignoring the warnings and restrictions (and seem to believe they are clever in doing so) with no thought for the rest of the community and the problems and increase in restrictions that they cause due to their own thoughtless actions.

No Need for insults. Go elsewhere

No insults

Just pointed out why the reason why DJI probably put the restrictions in the app because they realise that there are people out there who feel that it is acceptable to fly near restricted zones(and also do not realise they are near a restricted zone, as is shown in the video) which could potentially endanger people's lives.
This type of person will cause the restrictions on flying UAV's to become more and more restrictive which then spoils it for the people who abide by the rules, much the same as people who think it is acceptable to drive a vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
So quite how this can be considered to be an insult I do not know.

if you follow this guy on YouTube and I do you will see lots of stuff from this guy that will make you think .
Also we shall be nice in this or not be in it at all .:)
This is old anyway. I posted it in videos when I first saw it to see if anyone would catch it.

I like Ken, and think he's a thoughtful pilot. We all make mistakes, and is the very reason why flight restrictions are embedded in the firmware. It's a great thing IMO.
How can anyone taking drone operation seriously like this guy, or better, think he's thoughtful?

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
Practically everybody missed the point.
One should have realized that those aircraft while static, did not get there by driving on a road. There is a runway that we should be 5 miles away from! B4U fly!

No insults

Just pointed out why the reason why DJI probably put the restrictions in the app because they realise that there are people out there who feel that it is acceptable to fly near restricted zones(and also do not realise they are near a restricted zone, as is shown in the video) which could potentially endanger people's lives.
This type of person will cause the restrictions on flying UAV's to become more and more restrictive which then spoils it for the people who abide by the rules, much the same as people who think it is acceptable to drive a vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
So quite how this can be considered to be an insult I do not know.

Your original point was to state that you shouldn't fly anywhere near a static aircraft display. That wasn't the commenter's or the video's point. The restriction had nothing to do with "The King's" long grounded aircraft. There is nothing wrong with flying your drone around static museum planes as long as you aren't in otherwise restricted airspace.

Reactions: PTG and sonof40
I like him. He's having fun while abiding by the rules.

He's not playing by the rules in the video I posted. In fact, the video should be sent to the FAA so they can make a training video of what not to do with your new drone.

#1- FPV without a spotter. Maybe there was a spotter, but I didn't see one. You can't fly FPV anyways, it's against the rules:)

#2- The flight broke FAA guidelines by flying 1,100 feet past the 400 foot recommendation. I'm sure we've all broke the 400 foot rule a few times, I have, but to fly up to 1,500 feet, with FPV goggles on, and then post it to YouTube is just plain stupid in my book.

You guys might want to brush up on the real rules, instead of watching and following people like this.

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
He's not playing by the rules in the video I posted. In fact, the video should be sent to the FAA so they can make a training video of what not to do with your new drone.

#1- FPV without a spotter. Maybe there was a spotter, but I didn't see one. You can't fly FPV anyways, it's against the rules:)

#2- The flight broke FAA guidelines by flying 1,100 feet past the 400 foot recommendation. I'm sure we've all broke the 400 foot rule a few times, I have, but to fly up to 1,500 feet, with FPV goggles on, and then post it to YouTube is just plain stupid in my book.

You guys might want to brush up on the real rules, instead of watching and following people like this.
FYI, the FAA recently clarified that Community Based Organizations, such as the AMA, can establish safety guidelines in excess of the 400 ft recommendation, and if you are following those CBO guidelines, you can exceed 400 ft, as long as you're not violating any other airspace restrictions.

FAA Acknowledges AMA as a CBO and our Safety Program | AMA Government Relations Blog

If you just use common sense and don't staty up over 400' for your full length of flight you're fine.

Here in the mountains I have a jet that does a pass 1-2 times a week at treetop level .( pilot visible in cabin) and I know that is less than 400'

Just don't be dumb and go out 1000' feet up for a long time. This is when you will have an issue with the flight paths.

When you hear a plane ir see anything also drop down. Pilots need to have eyes and ears open

Over here in the UK there is no restriction on how high a sub 7KG recreational drone (as opposed to a professional flyer) can be flown; although a lot of people are duped into thinking there is. The only hight/distance restriction for a sub 7KG recreational drone is that it must remain in unaided LOS, you can use goggles but you must have a competent spotter and if you are flying FPV your craft can not exceed 3.5KG and your height is restricted to 1000ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtis Jeter

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20