This is why I bought my P2V...

Reaction score
My primary interest in the P2V was for photo work, I saw the article in Outdoor Photography magazine and that was enough to convince me that this would be a wonderful tool/platform for lots of the work I wanted to do...and to be able to get a camera to those viewpoints that are just not accessible from the ground, using a painter's pole, ladder rig, etc. So the 11th of last month...Oct., 2013..FYI...I sent my order to Amazon and on the 15th, I got a visit from UPS...!! A few days later the weather had cleared enough for me to try my new 'wings' and my first flight went very well... I've been able to fly a few more times since then...and on Thanksgiving Day, I got brave enough to take this series of aerial shots around town...and then edit them into this video....have a look if you like....

http://blueribbonphotos.smugmug.com/Phantom

There are lots of other photos of mine there...you are welcome to look around if you like...but the Phantom video is my latest venture....and I'm sure looking forward to doing more with this incredible device.

Hi Topeeka…..came over from the Amazon review threads……so I hope I have found you.

I have had poor response from DJI….4th email to get some answers.

I am an Event Videographer wanting to have fun with this NEW TO ME technology….but also jump into the market around here, adding quality video footage that once was recorded by a high end camera mounted on a JIB.

So the quality issue of the Vision 2 camera is at issue for me.

Learning to fly and shoot is something I have to do before I jump into the market……so I also want to look at QUADS above the Vision 2. The lack of Gimbal ability….maybe video quality….these are important factors.

I see on HOW TO tutorials, that the smart phone is tough to see on a sunny day. Some talk about shades for the iPhone.

What about the iPad ? It has WiFi….bigger screen, Retina Display and has a workable IOS….so I have NOT seen any discussion that anyone uses one to follow the flight of the Vision2

So I have to consider all these concerns before I invest in the Vision 2 which is at the bottom of the COST TREE of Quad copters….VS….upgrading to a more advanced….ok….more expensive model that does more and provide more. Might that investment be more prudent that the Vision2 ?

I have never flown an RC. But my excitement to learn will overcome my learning curve….so I want to be sure that my initial platform….my first QUAD….gives me not only fun of flight, but compete with quality footage, that I can edit it inside my MAC Final Cut Pro and generate footage that clients would be willing to pay for……in my business as well as what I could offer to another videographer.

Thoughts to others…as well as Topeeka ?

A few responses to your questions...in no particular order.. First off, the LCD screen of my iPhone..(a 4s so it IS a Retina display), can vary depending on the light and the direction of that light....much like all of the Point and Shoot cameras. Most of the time, I've not found that to be much of an issue as I'm only using the screen as a general guide to my framing and not as anything too precise. For example, I would not want to use it to focus with, but since that is not a possibility, that's a non-issue. What I have done...and this is real low-tech, is to use one of those thin food trays, the one I used was from an Asian restaurant...it was made of a thin black flexible plastic and I cut a screen shade out of it in sort of a "L" shape using one side and about 4 inches of the bottom. I opened a small gap in the corner of the "L" that was big enough for the clip for the iPhone to pass through and when needed, I attach that to my controller, and it provides an extra measure of shading and so far, that has been enough to make a big difference.

I also do have an iPad, but I don't plan on attempting to use that with my P2V. I think it would just be too much size and weight to handle. I have plenty to manipulate the way it is. If you were working with another person...a "pilot" and a "camera person" that might work...so far, I fly solo...!

I think you will want to check into the legal issues surrounding any commercial use of the P2V...or any similar 'copter. There are quite a few discussions on this site regarding making money with these....the FAA can be pretty rigid in these matters...but, since all of this is pretty new, I'd just have to say, "Stay tuned"...!

One thought I have had about the use of a gimbal is that when the P2V...or any quad, is flying sideways, the way that is accomplished is by adding power to one set of propellers and this in turn, causes the quad to tilt sideways a bit...a LOT more if the speed is increased. And...this will cause a non-gimbaled camera to tilt sideways as well. At slow speeds, this is barely evident, but a fast adjustment is very obvious. In my case, I want all of my videos to be smooth and non-'frantic', so I am fine with the small amount of 'lean'.

I hope you have looked at some of the many video clips that are linked from this site. There is a wide range of quality in them...mainly YouTube postings. It seems to me that many of them are done more as a record of the flight as opposed to using the P2V as a serious photo tool. "You pays your money.........and........!!"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers