This is what will end our hobby/sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old news, 3 months ago. Look how quickly the paranoid us government has changed air travel yet again with electronic devices having to be shown to power up, we cant even bring a drink through security or go through without our shoes being checked. I'm sick of that crap, we have to suffer because amurica gets attacked because they are oil hungry. The usa needs to worry more about internal terrorism, keep blaming the muslims or arabs. Its internally they need to look out for. They cant ban the phantom because it can easily hold c4 and be flown with fpv 4km away because a car or truck can be laden down with tonnes of explosives and driven for thousands of miles. Sheesh the hysteria that goes on in the usa is mental for all the rest of normality outside those borders. When I fly people aee amazed, when someone in the states flies they have a good chance of someone shouting PERVERT, SPYING, TERRORIST and all the rest of the crazy blah blah blah. Something needs to change over there, last weekend alone 60 people were killed by guns in chicago, how many innocent people have been killed by american drones this year? Women and children? How many people have been killed by a recreational multirotor toy ever????
We have problems over here but nothing like the madness over there, so posting posts like that on a public website will only add fuel to the fire of those stupid ultra conservative donkey's that run your world. Me, I prefer to fly in an environment that people come up to me and are amazed. Dont fuel the BS

Try educate and not scare, that burden is on your shoulders because your faa wont help you. Speak out and help your hobby outside of these sites. Go to your old school and ask if you can put on a responsible demo to show the kids what the future can hold.

LuvMyTJ said:
Fortunately there were only his plans to use an RC plane with an explosive device although there was no mention of any found or any RC craft. Mainly he was in violation of immigration laws and a bad plan. No UAV was used or found.

SOURCE: http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/FBI-Drone-like-toy-planes-in-bomb-plot-5383658.php
It was a BS story I rolled my eyes up to at the time, along with the shoe bomber who tried to light c4 in his shoe with a match but before he even tried opening the match box he started screaming alla akbarr or some crap, the c4 couldnt have detonated with a match and still to this day we have to take our shoes off to get on a flight. Make some good news stories yourselvesm find a lost puppy, volunteer with the local search and rescue teams, get good news out there, its in our hands. Dont throw gas to the media.

I think they arrested some nut case a couple of years ago that had built a huge drone plane and he had plans to fly it into the White House. It didn't kill the RC plane industry. With 3d printing and all of the technology out there I doubt anything can stop the wave of drones to come.
Like any fad they will come and go. People will get less interested over time. That is more than likely what is going to kill the drones not the Gov't. The same could have been said about cellphones, computers, Rasberry Pies and many other things. They are just as dangerouns and someone with evil intent can use them for evil purposes but we still have them.
I think there will be places that you will be limited to fly without permits or a limitaion on size and flight times. But I doubt drones will be killed off over night. Enjoy, It's still a free country.

cosmonaut said:
I think they arrested some nut case a couple of years ago that had built a huge drone plane and he had plans to fly it into the White House. It didn't kill the RC plane industry. With 3d printing and all of the technology out there I doubt anything can stop the wave of drones to come.
Like any fad they will come and go. People will get less interested over time. That is more than likely what is going to kill the drones not the Gov't. The same could have been said about cellphones, computers, Rasberry Pies and many other things. They are just as dangerouns and someone with evil intent can use them for evil purposes but we still have them.
I think there will be places that you will be limited to fly without permits or a limitaion on size and flight times. But I doubt drones will be killed off over night. Enjoy, It's still a free country.

Thanks for that input thats what I was asking in the question. I think that when it does happen restrictions will be put in place not on the RC aircraft but the power allowed on transmitters to severely decrease range to a few hundred yards for amateur hobbyists unless you apply for a license background checks etc.

A part of the problem with stories like this is a widespread misunderstanding of the effects of explosives, perhaps caused by believing the fantasy explosions in movies. A P2 has a maximum payload of a couple of hundred grams, which certainly does not represent a weapon of mass destruction, or even much local destruction. It's effect on a building will be minimal - a few broken windows. And there are plenty of easier ways to deliver such a small payload.

This is just another silly example of taking paranoid ideas to logically absurd conclusions.

sar104 said:
A part of the problem with stories like this is a widespread misunderstanding of the effects of explosives, perhaps caused by believing the fantasy explosions in movies. A P2 has a maximum payload of a couple of hundred grams, which certainly does not represent a weapon of mass destruction, or even much local destruction. It's effect on a building will be minimal - a few broken windows. And there are plenty of easier ways to deliver such a small payload.

This is just another silly example of taking paranoid ideas to logically absurd conclusions.

So your saying a couple hundred grams of C-4 rolled in ball-bearings/ BB's flown into a large crowd wouldn't do much damage? Why don't you watch a few videos of what a hand-grenade can do silly is burying your head in your fourth point of contact and thinking your looking at sunshine. I have no fantasies about explosives and their effects I have seen first hand on what they do as a Flight Medic in the Army during numerous deployments.

Duane said:
So your saying a couple hundred grams of C-4 rolled in ball-bearings/ BB's flown into a large crowd wouldn't do much damage
That same "bomb" can be carried in a purse, a backpack, deposited in a trash can, sling-shot-ed into a nearby area, dropped from a window of a tall building, thrown over a fence, planted in a shopping cart, mixed in with the mail, floated down a stream, sewn into a life jacket, placed as a payload on a launched firework, mounted on an RC car, surgically planted inside of a dog, disguised as pizza boxes for delivery, hidden in a basketball, thrown from the window of a passing bus, formed to look like a baby wrapped in a blanket, thrown from a sewer drain, etc etc etc. And that's not even factoring in suicide attackers.
The point is, one can do quite a lot with many, many things/activities that already exist. Just because a new item/technology comes along doesn't necessarily make it uniquely dangerous - it just takes time for people to understand the reality of that object. With quadcopters, it's the idea that one can move a small item in 3D space more easily. Not more stealthily, but any stretch of the imagination, but just in ways that people aren't used to seeing (which is why the video and photos are so engaging when you see an area from a different view than normal).
Best example, the lady that spoke at a city counsel meeting scared to death that a "drone" might be able to catch her leaving her work and follow her home to where she lives! Like no one could follow her in a car, look up her address in city records, put a tracer on her car, etc etc etc. Just an ignorant way of looking at something new.
/rant off. ;-)

Duane said:
sar104 said:

So your saying a couple hundred grams of C-4 rolled in ball-bearings/ BB's flown into a large crowd wouldn't do much damage? Why don't you watch a few videos of what a hand-grenade can do silly is burying your head in your fourth point of contact and thinking your looking at sunshine. I have no fantasies about explosives and their effects I have seen first hand on what they do as a Flight Medic in the Army during numerous deployments.

Firstly, your scenario is pointless, as there are much simpler ways to get that payload into a crowd. Secondly, you have no payload capacity for those ball-bearings if you use it up carrying that much C-4. Thirdly, a typical simple fragmentation grenade weighs over 350 g, and has a very limited effective radius. So, yes, my observations that it is not remotely a WMD and will have little effect on a building are completely correct. I didn't say that you couldn't hurt someone.

Did you actually have anything useful to add, or were you just trying to be clever? You failed at that, by the way.

Apparently you do not understand what second and third order effects are my friend.
This is just what came up in a google search there are many other articles on the subject, so you at least can present an argument based on the topic's intent.
http://www.au.af.mil/info-ops/iosphere/ ... miller.pdf

I was asking what do you think the government would do/try to do after someone had succeeded. I never said WMD anywhere so I don't know where you got that from. But picture a few or many copters carrying what they could in explosives and standard red rider BB's flown into a large crowd/stadium/school/university/etc. Yes deaths would be few but the panic of the local population would be overwhelming. The point of the post was to see what people thought or how the government would respond to control RC GPS capable craft. That way a strategy for attempting to keep this sport/hobby alive could be war gamed out. I was not attempting to be cleaver. BTW history is full of people who said "It will never happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik