This is not my drone. DJI Repair sent me back someone else’s broken P4 drone!!

Has DJI repair ever sent you a completely new P4 drone without having DJI care?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I had my P4 for about 3 months, the gimbal was never level no matter how many calibrations I did, it had issues connecting to the app and would quit various times while flying and I kept getting an ESC error. I contacted DJI and they told me to send it in for repair. After waiting 2 months I finally got my P4 back problem is…. IT IS NOT MY DRONE. It has a different serial number and is missing 6 screws from the bottom panel. I contacted DJI again and Richard from DJI support said he would build a case for me to get a new one and to wait for the email. They gave me another shipping label and want me to send it in again for repair. Anyone else have a problem like this? What should I expect.

Reactions: Ekki
No personal experience but it is their policy to send a refurb. No excuse for it not being actually fully refurbished. Sounds like they trying to make it 'right'.

Reactions: Ekki
I hope so. They actually left a Micro SD card in this drone full of the DJI facility, if you would see how many drones are sent in, it’s insane. It’s just very upsetting when you receive a drone back from repair that has bottom panel with the majority of the screws missing and a different serial number. So why did this drone get refurbished in the first place, did it hit a tree?? I waited two months to have to send it in again. Sorry I am just upset.

I had a similar experience with my P3P. I sent it in for repairs, while it was only two weeks old. They sent me a P3 4K the first time, then a refurb with issues every time after that. Long story short. I contacted somebody, who got in touch with DJI marketing, and they sent me another P3P, brand new, in the box. They don't have a real good tracking sytem when it comes to sending in units for repair. You will never see your original drone again. The best you can hope for is a functional drone. Good luck, and keep us posted.

This complaint is very disturbing and frequently reported in this forum. I regret the day that I have an accident necessitating a factory repair. DJI can build excellent drones, but it is obvious that their service department is absolutely not focused in the least on quality service/repair. If I am incorrect in regard to this statement, I would expect to hear, in the near future, that customers are receiving their same drone back and repaired properly, yes, also in a timely manner.

Q. How can DJI build a quality product and NOT be able to support the service segment of the business? Is it that the service segment is not as profitable or simply that DJI is not genuinely interested in servicing their product because they can sell all that can be produced.

After reading so many complaints, I felt that this question had to be asked. If I am off base, please set me straight with the facts. I am open minded. Thank you!

Metrics drive the wrong behavior.!

Last edited:
There is a long way to go for DJI to match the same level of customer care like Apple. If you see their website, product boxes, etc... they try hard to mimic Apple products and services but it is like comparing a Toyota to a Rolls Royce. DJI products are great and I love it but their services support is junk.

There is a long way to go for DJI to match the same level of customer care like Apple. If you see their website, product boxes, etc... they try hard to mimic Apple products and services but it is like comparing a Toyota to a Rolls Royce. DJI products are great and I love it but their services support is junk.
Apple pretty much doesn't repair anything. They give you a refurb and your on you way.

Apple pretty much doesn't repair anything. They give you a refurb and your on you way.

Truth but their refurbished products are basically brand new products. They even come wrapped like new, unlike the junk that DJI sent to people when they "repaired" the drone. They sometimes don't even sent a refurbished, they sent someone's else drone with damages and then people have to go again with the return process.

Did have the same experience. Camera was not sharp top left.
Had to send it back 4 times. All returned where defective refurbished models.
The shop where i got it from gave me one new in the box. The reason to buy local.

I'm sorry to hear about this.
This is exactly my fear since
I noticed a bunch of tiny hairline cracks in the frame of my p4p. I am very reluctant to send it in for repair, I argued with DJI, trying to get a brand new unit since mine was less than a month old, but it's 15 days for new replacement. I'm not sure what caused the cracks as I fly very carefully. Also I'm not sure they would even see the cracks if I sent it in as you have to look at the perfect angle to see them.

After hearing all these horror stories I'm not sure what to do now.

Post the images on the sd card.

I'm sorry to hear about this.
This is exactly my fear since
I noticed a bunch of tiny hairline cracks in the frame of my p4p. I am very reluctant to send it in for repair, I argued with DJI, trying to get a brand new unit since mine was less than a month old, but it's 15 days for new replacement. I'm not sure what caused the cracks as I fly very carefully. Also I'm not sure they would even see the cracks if I sent it in as you have to look at the perfect angle to see them.

After hearing all these horror stories I'm not sure what to do now.

Took me 4 months to get this resolved.
Dji rep did have allot off p4p send back for repair and where working overtime. You could wait until this is resolved or pay for the shell repair.

Dji customer service has been one big joke since day one, and it will always be, for reasons im not gonna mention here...
Had the biggest laugh of my life when i saw this interview once with CEO Frank Wang, or Wāng Tāo which is his real name, he said he wanted to be the new Steve Jobs, i almost peed my pants that day...

Dji customer service has been one big joke since day one, and it will always be, for reasons im not gonna mention here...
Had the biggest laugh of my life when i saw this interview once with CEO Frank Wang, or Wāng Tāo which is his real name, he said he wanted to be the new Steve Jobs, i almost peed my pants that day...
Hahahaha... So true... He wants to imitate the apple model of business but it's a long way to go for DJI to match that capability.

Reactions: Lefty63
Its rare to get your original unit back -repaired. I sent mine in to DJI 3 times, but they failed to repair the issue each time (i.e. I received someone else's defective unit). It took a year before the company I purchased it from repaired it for free.

I think he's the new 'Hand' Jobs... Nothing more

I got this same situation when I sent in my less than a year old never crashed drone (P3P) and got back a crap refurb that wouldn't hold position gave error messages and had been crashed (scratches all over gimbal) It took 7 weeks and now the one they sent is back at their facility getting ??? replaced. I don't know but I hope they send something comparable and not another junker. If I gave my customers this type of "service" I would have been out of business long ago.

Reactions: Blessed77
Same with me... I sent my P3Std in because the motors/props were whistling... louder with each flight. It was 2 months old, never crashed... I sent it in for a repair, it arrived April 19th at DJI repair, California. They reported that it was covered under Warranty.. .Yippee.. then it was repaired and would be shipped in two days. I had already read all the horror stories but I had hopes. Towards the end of May I was posting a gripe about it. A DJI rep said he'd take care of it... he put a "Rush" on my drone and over nighted it to me... it arrived June 1st. Wow, was I disappointed. Something silly as the brand new box that I mailed them.. they packaged up a drone in a beat up Phantom box that should have been thrown out... inside I found a Phantom 3 Std., clearly not mine. The camera gimbal had come off during shipping and it was dangling.... the vibration dampening white ball was disconnected from the top plate..... the landing legs were all scared up... Obviously these were removed from some other drone and put together. Finally had a chance to fly it.... OMG the thing buzzes up and down, fluctuates all over the place... legs vibrate like crazy and these motors whistle louder than my original drone that I sent in. When it hoovers it hangs to the right and it seems that the motor on that side struggles to keep up with the others. I did fly it around and it wasn't bad...... but landing wad dicey because I hand catch my bird. This thing fluctuates all over the place, up and down, side to side. I will be calling to return this for another one. On a positive note... I knew that they would leave me hanging for weeks on end so I purchased a P4P..... along with State Farm Ins. for 60 bucks, full coverage !!! (lessons learned from Phantom Pilots posts)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers