This is it! The best tablet sunshade combo for us to use!

Reaction score
Hey guys I just did a review and I've seen so many different variations but this is why I've chosen these 2 devices including an anti-glare screen protector to fly out in sunlight.

I hope this saves people some searching and headache on choosing. I know it would've helped me. This will work for any dji drone with a tablet mount! Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Fist
I hope this saves people some searching and headache on choosing. I know it would've helped me. This will work for Amy dji drone with a tablet mount! Hope this helps.
Well, if it'll work for Amy, I guess it'll work for me. ;)

Reactions: David Seda
Nice sunshade design with one flaw IMO. The side flip-out walls should not be cut so the roof comes straight out but, instead, should be cut so the roof angles downward. From my experience experimenting with many sun shades, as long as the shade roof is 90 degrees to the screen the operator's sunlit face will always be reflected back at him/her -- and no added sun screen filter has been able to eliminate that for me. You might be able to overcome that with a super bright screen, but most tablets may not go that bright - plus you're reducing tablet battery time with such a bright screen. Again, great general design. But if I were to purchase it, I would cut the top edges of the side panels so the roof drops down to less than 90 degrees in relation to the screen so the black underside of the shade roof is reflected in the screen and not my handsome mug.

hood_angle.jpg

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Nice sunshade design with one flaw IMO. The side flip-out walls should not be cut so the roof comes straight out but, instead, should be cut so the roof angles downward. From my experience experimenting with many sun shades, as long as the shade roof is 90 degrees to the screen the operator's sunlit face will always be reflected back at him/her -- and no added sun screen filter has been able to eliminate that for me. You might be able to overcome that with a super bright screen, but most tablets may not go that bright - plus you're reducing tablet battery time with such a bright screen. Again, great general design. But if I were to purchase it, I would cut the top edges of the side panels so the roof drops down to less than 90 degrees in relation to the screen so the black underside of the shade roof is reflected in the screen and not my handsome mug.

View attachment 78676
That's why I definitely stress getting a matte anti glare screen protector. Makes a huge difference when it comes to reflection and definitely tones it down quite a bit!

Glad it works for you. I've tried many matte anti-glare screen protectors and found them worthless. Are you the manufacturer or seller of the shade?

Last edited:
Glad it works for you. I've tried many matte anti-glare screen protectors and found them worthless. Are you the manufacturer or seller of the shade?
No I'm not either. Just a regular dude trying to help people on what works best for me.

Finding a solid sunshade that was easy to use and lightweight was tough. If you check out the website you can see every size and type of shade they offer.

Best part is satisfaction is guaranteed, which was a big plus. If you don't like it you send it back.

As far as the nexus goes, I couldn't find a tablet that had the same screen brightness (measured in nits) as this one. Of course the built in screen on the p4p+ is 1000nits but it's only 5.5 inches I believe. So a 7 inch screen at I believe 583 nits blows most Android tablets out of the water as the ones I have found including the same sun in the video are between 300-400 nits.

View attachment 78676
I modded my DJI sunscreen to accomplish this. I didn't cut the panels but, added a small square of Velcro to each side panel, to drop them further and then added a new opening for the lightning/usb cable. Let you know if it helps on next flight. Last pic shows angle difference from 90 degrees.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MapMaker53
I'll upload a photo of my sunshade when I get back to my office on Monday where my equipment happens to be at the moment. I don't get an ounce of reflection using the angled roof. (Well in reality I do get the black roof underside reflection, which basically is no reflection at all because it's black.) In addition, I don't even use an anti-glare screen because I found those to be useless.

I'll upload a photo of my sunshade when I get back to my office on Monday where my equipment happens to be at the moment. I don't get an ounce of reflection using the angled roof. (Well in reality I do get the black roof underside reflection, which basically is no reflection at all because it's black.) In addition, I don't even use an anti-glare screen because I found those to be useless.
Looking forward to it!

It's not useless to me as any light that hits the screen gets diffused as opposed to sharing being reflected. Curious to see the angle change the amount of light. Can't do it too much or else you'll block the screen. Keep us posted!

The angle change doesn't block the screen, because your view is still parallel to the bottom of the roof. It just causes the tablet screen top edge to be tilted away from you slightly when held, which isn't even noticeable - which then reflects the black underside of the roof back at you. (See my diagram in Post #3.) I think I can demonstrate this with a few photos on Monday.

The angle change doesn't block the screen, because your view is still parallel to the bottom of the roof. It just causes the tablet screen top edge to be tilted away from you slightly when held, which isn't even noticeable - which then reflects the black underside of the roof back at you. (See my diagram in Post #3.) I think I can demonstrate this with a few photos on Monday.
I wonder if the front edge on the master series sunshades mimics this as my view is with the top of my screen and not the top of my tablet.

If you check the video when opened the top flap has a section of roughly a 1/2" not sure of the exact measurement, that protrudes downward over the screen.

Okay, here's the demo of my hood. Could have done a video, but I think photos will suffice. The tablet end of the shade has a 70 degree incline. I kept the tablet turned off to show the reflection better and simulate a bright sun-lit day indoors. I then placed the tablet at the 90 degree end of the shade (13-inches deep) and you can still easily see the reflection, as though no shade at all. Useless! I then slipped the tablet up into the 70 degree incline end of the tablet and all you see is the black underside of the roof reflecting in the tablet -- which is the equivalent of no reflection at all. Pretty neat and simple. Thus concludes our science experiment for today.

1-SHADE HAS 70 DEGREE INCLINED BACK WALL.JPG 2-TYPICAL REFLECTION.JPG 3-REFLECTION AT 90 DEGREE END OF SHADE.JPG 4-REFLECTION DISAPPEARING AS TABLET IS  SLID UP AT 70 DEGREE END OF SHADE.JPG 5-NO REFLECTION AT 70 DEGREE END OF SHADE.JPG

Last edited:
Great example. I think the thing that I don't care so much about is viewing my tablet from an angle. and also do you have to have a shade that is 13-inches deep (That's pretty huge) to accomplish this or is that just the length you decided to go with?

I really don't notice the angle of the tablet when viewing as it looks pretty flat when on under the dark shade. Your line of sight, the tablet angle, and the length of the shade are all interdependent on each other. I'd also add the height dimension of the tablet into that equation. In order to capture the roof in a shorter length shade, you would have to tilt the tablet further back. (Think mirror.) Apparently, hoodivision accomplishes a 70 degree incline using a 10 inch roof -- but that also depends on your line of sight angle. If I just change my line of sight by tilting the controller up a bit, I probably could do it with 70 degrees and 10 inches too. I just happened to settle on the 13 inches as I was building it. I really like the compactness of your hood, and because it has a short depth I think the incline angle would have to be much further than 70 degrees to accomplish this effect - which would be too much of a slant and unworkable. But if you do ever experience reflection with your hood, I think you could do the 70 degree tablet incline if your design added a roof extender that would either slide forward or flip forward -- allowing it to still be compact when folded.

I'll probably trim mine back to 10 inches and just adjust my viewing angle, but I'll play with some bended cardboard first before doing that. My hood is constructed from a corrugated plastic sheet I bought at an art supplies store and a couple of Velcro strips.. It folds nice and flat and fits into my case.

Last edited:
Reactions: stones

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj