This is how a defective P2 shoots...

Reaction score
This is apparently how a defective P2 shoots. Nothing I do fixes the constant (one per second) yaw changes or camera vibrations. I put in a Futaba RX and balanced the props and it still shoots the same. During the video below it was drifting in ATTI mode and I wasn't even physically touching the stick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVLA6FZ ... e=youtu.be

I'd resell this Phantom if I hadn't destroyed it with Loctite a few hours ago. Back to square one. Does an F450 or F550 also yaw uncontrollably? It was a mistake to buy a Phantom.

I feel your pain! Right not mine is a 1200 dollar door stop. My flame wheel 550 didn't yaw, my kong quad doesn't yaw and I'm sure the tarot 960 I'm building won't yaw either and will be rock solid.
My phantom crashed twice last week..fell out of the sky like a rock for no reason at all. Now it has lost so much power it cam barly take off and when I it does it flys like a squirrel on crack. Just spent 185 bucks upgrading all the motors. Didn't help.
Flame wheels are solid but tend to have some flex in the plates if you overload them. A go cam is just about all that you wud want to hang off of it.
The TBS discovery is a nice airframe. I helped a buddy build one and very solid!
Good luck...not sure what the heck to do with my P2....maybe lift it with the tarot to about 200 ft and drop it..

Gregg:

1) Did your P2 also yaw like that?
2) Is your 550 fairly stable in winds that would otherwise be problematic for the P2? I'd like to have a GoPro platform that I can actively and stably FLY in wind, not just drift.
3) I have a Disco Pro I bought used and have yet to get in the air. Do you think it will be more stable than the P2? What about compared to the F550?

A.

Justgregg said:
I feel your pain! Right not mine is a 1200 dollar door stop. My flame wheel 550 didn't yaw, my kong quad doesn't yaw and I'm sure the tarot 960 I'm building won't yaw either and will be rock solid.
My phantom crashed twice last week..fell out of the sky like a rock for no reason at all. Now it has lost so much power it cam barly take off and when I it does it flys like a squirrel on crack. Just spent 185 bucks upgrading all the motors. Didn't help.
Flame wheels are solid but tend to have some flex in the plates if you overload them. A go cam is just about all that you wud want to hang off of it.
The TBS discovery is a nice airframe. I helped a buddy build one and very solid!
Good luck...not sure what the heck to do with my P2....maybe lift it with the tarot to about 200 ft and drop it..

I was drifting deliberately - no complaint in that department. My complaint is all the yawing.

1) Did your P2 also yaw like that?
2) Is your 550 fairly stable in winds that would otherwise be problematic for the P2? I'd like to have a GoPro platform that I can actively and stably FLY in wind, not just drift.
3) I have a Disco Pro I bought used and have yet to get in the air. Do you think it will be more stable than the P2? What about compared to the F550?

OI Photography said:
adanac said:
During the video below it was drifting in ATTI mode and I wasn't even physically touching the stick!

The Phantom will always drift in ATTI mode...that doesn't hold position, just altitude.

That would mean you are LESS picky than me! :)

Post stabilization would probably help with the shuddering. I don't know about the yaw. In any case, I want a Phantom that shoots as well as it's supposed to.

happydogs said:
not to be too picky but can you run that thru a deshaker and eliminate the yaw?

There will always be some butt waggle but that is a fair bit. Drifting in ATTI helps but not always. It really depends on the wind speed and which way it is blowing relative to the motion of the Phantom. Fly into a quartering wind will be much worse than riding a tail wind perfectly square. And at the surface, the wind is always going to be subject to fluctuation as it blows around ground features. Higher up, you'll get less waggle. I didn't see anything that made me think it was having motor or ESC issues.

Getting a bigger platform may reduce it but a 3D gimbal would be much cheaper.

Thank you. I think a bigger platform is the answer. I wish to shoot professionally so I can't show up to a gig and tell them the wind is blowing the wrong way :).

Would an F450 do well in wind?

ianwood said:
There will always be some butt waggle but that is a fair bit. Drifting in ATTI helps but not always. It really depends on the wind speed and which way it is blowing relative to the motion of the Phantom. Fly into a quartering wind will be much worse than riding a tail wind perfectly square. And at the surface, the wind is always going to be subject to fluctuation as it blows around ground features. Higher up, you'll get less waggle. I didn't see anything that made me think it was having motor or ESC issues.

Getting a bigger platform may reduce it but a 3D gimbal would be much cheaper.

it may come down to the camera you wish to use. If GoPro, then perhaps a 3 axis gimbal is the best answer. if you really have to go to an dslr or something, then you might be looking at, what, 8k-15k?

happydogs said:
it may come down to the camera you wish to use. If GoPro, then perhaps a 3 axis gimbal is the best answer. if you really have to go to an dslr or something, then you might be looking at, what, 8k-15k?

Agreed.

If you really want to go pro, using a GoPro would be pretty limiting.

Have you reset all the gain settings on your controller?

I hope not to get off topic. I'll get another platform for my 5D or Scarlet - the platform I want to work now is for a GoPro, which has it's place in some production settings.

I'll try to find out the normal gains and reset them to that (if they're not already). I'll also try every calibration I can find in the P2 assistant. BTW, I do calibrate the compass when I change locations.

happydogs said:

adanac said:
Would an F450 do well in wind?

Several factors can affect stability in wind, including the wheelbase (diameter), total weight, and number of motors. The 450 increases wheelbase and maybe even weight over the Phantom so they can be a bit more stable but not a whole lot...you may need to move to a hex or a larger quad to see a significant difference.

This has also been my impression. One frustration with all of this is that it's not possible to know how something will do until buy, build and fly it. I've never built one so that adds time. I can order an F550, build it, make mistakes that take weeks to get through and money to correct, spend possibly hundreds more on other stuff like FPV and then find out it doesn't do well in the wind - sell for a loss. I guess that's just part of being in multirotors.

[/quote]

Several factors can affect stability in wind, including the wheelbase (diameter), total weight, and number of motors. The 450 increases wheelbase and maybe even weight over the Phantom so they can be a bit more stable but not a whole lot...you may need to move to a hex or a larger quad to see a significant difference.[/quote]

adanac said:
This has also been my impression. One frustration with all of this is that it's not possible to know how something will do until buy, build and fly it. I've never built one so that adds time. I can order an F550, build it, make mistakes that take weeks to get through and money to correct, spend possibly hundreds more on other stuff like FPV and then find out it doesn't do well in the wind - sell for a loss. I guess that's just part of being in multirotors.

Several factors can affect stability in wind, including the wheelbase (diameter), total weight, and number of motors. The 450 increases wheelbase and maybe even weight over the Phantom so they can be a bit more stable but not a whole lot...you may need to move to a hex or a larger quad to see a significant difference.

There's plenty of 450 and 550 kits available ready-to-fly out of the box to save you the potential pitfalls of building it yourself.

The truth is that even large heavy quads have to deal with wind and usually the wind has physics on its side, you can reduce the effects but no platform is immune to the effects...you just have to build/buy the most stable platform you can afford, and let the gimbal do the rest as much as it can.

It sounds like I need to go directly to an F550. My only reservation with that is portability!

[/quote]

There's plenty of 450 and 550 kits available ready-to-fly out of the box to save you the potential pitfalls of building it yourself.

The truth is that even large heavy quads have to deal with wind and usually the wind has physics on its side, you can reduce the effects but no platform is immune to the effects...you just have to build/buy the most stable platform you can afford, and let the gimbal do the rest as much as it can.[/quote]

adanac said:
It sounds like I need to go directly to an F550. My only reservation with that is portability!

Yep, that's one of the obstacles of moving to any platform of that size, though there are some with folding arms to help make them easier to transport or get in a case (e.g. Tarot 680/690)

Check here for more insight on the 450/550: viewforum.php?f=21

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers