This guy needs grounding - FAST !

It may be difficult to control technology in the USA (obviously true in the case of guns, 2nd amendment and all that) but that's not really the point here. Currently it's illegal in the UK to fly a quad in the way that guy did (he broke at least 3 rules). And unless he is able to publicise what he did on YouTube I suspect he wouldn't do it. So one way or another he'll get caught and probably prosecuted. You may think what he did was cool, but if his Phantom had crashed as a result of a 'flyaway' - not impossible you have to admit - things would be very different.

As a result campaigns by the press and politicians about dangers to security, safety and privacy will lead stronger rules and more draconian legislation being imposed. And we (the more sensible UK flyers) will suffer. That's why I'd like to see him grounded. It's not just that he's a danger to others, he's a danger to me.

planedr said:
Did anyone die?

No but the point is we are living on borrowed time to fly responsibly if at all. This does not help. A crash into a crowd or busy street will set us all back.

It is nearly impossible to fly anywhere in Northern Virginia now.

It is not us hobby flyers that give drones a bad rep, its what the government is doing with drones that make people suspicious of drones, and there are always people that cannot be responsible they should be fined or grounded.

You guys have great mature debate going on, it's very healthy and productive as long as no body starts taking personal jabs.

But my 0.02cents would say::

First i cant believe so many educated people still think that some guy who breaks the rules is going to make the government straight out ban your "HOBBY" . I seriously cant understand the logic where you go and buy something legally and then because some guy on the farm flies his phantom into the town square and it crashes into a crowd of people you think they create a goon drone collection squad and goes around the town collecting everyones toys? You guys really believe that? WOW

Ever heard of assault rifles? lol

Now a great point is as an adult you need to take responsibility for your actions and if you do something wrong you own up to it and take your lickings like a man......

So comes in "Regulation" If we have regulation, training, certification, etc if me as a pilot does something that dangers others lives i should be taken to task and likely at that point punishment would be able to be directed at me and not you or you or you.

Thats what happens when something is officially policed as opposed to the insane asylum being run by the patients because i will tell you so many people feel they have the ability to effectively criticize, police, accuse, convict and punish others who dont seem to follow "Who's" rules it turns into something negative.

I have been criticized for not following rules that dont apply to me by some kid ...seriously i'm a grown man and because the environment has made it ok for people to be called "idiots" dumbasses" and more this kids tears into me so badly i started to think i did something wrong but turn out he had no idea what he was talking about because he has seen so many here simply talk from their butt's in such a condescending way they think that crap is ok.

If anything you all should be policing how horrible you talk to one another if you dont all agree. If anything we all should stop throwing stones from glass houses.

Those of you that police...did you know in most places flying using any kind of FPV gear is illegal? But i rarely hear of the lynch mob going after someone who kicked out a cool FPV video...why not your the police right? lol

No one is perfect and our hobby is pretty cool to the point some of us forget the rules, some of us dont know the rules, some of us dont care about rules. How do we deal with people like this from a humanistic standpoint. Look our hobby will be regulated in all parts of the US anyway regardless if Danny boy flies over the brooklyn bay bridge or not so why stoop and call the guy an idiot and bash his way of interacting with his hobby.

Not condoning rule breakers but i am calling out all of you rude, mean, insecure, trolls for simply doing it the wrong way as i am sure all of you have positive intent.

Just think about that before you call someone you never met an idiot or some other shortcut to thinking.

This forum does appear quite rude sometimes, even I have a guy who will post after me all the time who wants to "educate me" I let him and say nothing because he is mostly right but his smallness of attitude is his problem, he has no problem because it is just him. People who "educate others" should learn to "entertain others" more :), this is a fun hobby but sometimes you wouldn't know being here and making an opinion.

As for the hobby, it seems it's on a knife edge these days and many are scared some will tip it over, they are right of course it's just the way it works. Such is life.

eckoner said:
Those of you that police...did you know in most places flying using any kind of FPV gear is illegal? But i rarely hear of the lynch mob going after someone who kicked out a cool FPV video...why not your the police right? lol
Here in the UK FPV is very much legal, in fact it has its own exemption statement, with conditions, from the Air Navigation Order and goes with 1000ft if your observer can still see it. So it would be good to take some of your own medicine you seem to be wanting to dish out to us all. The quoted statment is wrong, 'most' is a pretty sweeping word, 'some' would be a more accurate word to use. IMHO of course.

IrishSights said:
eckoner said:
Here in the UK FPV is very much legal, in fact it has its own exemption statement, with conditions, from the Air Navigation Order and goes with 1000ft if your observer can still see it. So it would be good to take some of your own medicine you seem to be wanting to dish out to us all. The quoted statment is wrong, 'most' is a pretty sweeping word, 'some' would be a more accurate word to use. IMHO of course.

Thats one of my points and the funny thing is you might post a video obeying your local law but some here jump the gun and want to beat the other sherriffs to the punch and shoot you first then ask questions later. But now its gotten into a back and fourth and the negativity has seeped in.

Why should i monitor weather or not you using FPV gear is allowable? Who the F*** am i?

But i really like this board but there are so many negative post's and people trying to one up the other to see who can be a louder more rude cop. lol its pretty funny at times but most times i feel im so over this childish mean spirited place then i take one of my quads out and fly and forget all about it. lol

Most people here are really cool, very helpful, and are not negative small minded mad at the world trolls.

But you know what.......Those trolls are not going to ruin for the good guys let them isolate themselves from those who come here to contribute in a positive way.

I think i just made another point lol "Those bad pilots are not going to ruin for the good guys let them isolate themselves from those who come here to contribute in a positive way."

I notice some well thought out statements above and for some reason I kinda find myself agreeing with pretty much all of them. You all make excellent points and deliver your thoughts in an understandable well written manner. I can tell I am with a group of rather smart people and I can learn from ya all. Thank you for taking the time.
Craig

Eckoner, I see your point. I think that people get a bit hyperbolic at times... But I will say that the more people get these things.. The more places will begin to have a lot of people buzzing around with these quads. Eventually laws could be passed and usage could be restricted. I remember a similar thing happening with personal watercraft. Most people use them responsibly, and then a few idiots start jumping wakes dangerously close to bigger watercraft or using them in places other watercraft can't go... And laws got passed.

I'm not even sure laws/rules are a bad thing. Yes I believe we have the right to enjoy this hobby, but only insomuch as it doesn't infringe on another person's rights. The Notre Dame Cathedral is a good example to me. People go there just to see it... While others go there for religious reasons or to meditate or whatever. I'm not sure it's fair to start buzzing around just because I want a cool shot.

Maybe I try too hard to think about how my hobby might be affecting others... But I have been annoyed by dudes flying nitro helis right next to a golf course while I was playing (and I LIKE nitro helicopters!).

So yeah... Maybe the tone is overblown... Actually, it probably is... But I think it's possible as these kind of flights happen more and more... I can imagine laws getting written to stop it.

Ps.. I'd say this board is generally pretty positive.. It's not as positive as helifreak which is a huge community that I have found very helpful without as much "lecturing". Still I have found people here very willing to help and be friendly for the most part :)

Do you guys think he puts his phone number email on the quad in case it crashes? hehehe.

Buckaye said:
Eckoner, I see your point. I think that people get a bit hyperbolic at times... But I will say that the more people get these things.. The more places will begin to have a lot of people buzzing around with these quads. Eventually laws could be passed and usage could be restricted. I remember a similar thing happening with personal watercraft. Most people use them responsibly, and then a few idiots start jumping wakes dangerously close to bigger watercraft or using them in places other watercraft can't go... And laws got passed.

I'm not even sure laws/rules are a bad thing. Yes I believe we have the right to enjoy this hobby, but only insomuch as it doesn't infringe on another person's rights. The Notre Dame Cathedral is a good example to me. People go there just to see it... While others go there for religious reasons or to meditate or whatever. I'm not sure it's fair to start buzzing around just because I want a cool shot.

Maybe I try too hard to think about how my hobby might be affecting others... But I have been annoyed by dudes flying nitro helis right next to a golf course while I was playing (and I LIKE nitro helicopters!).

So yeah... Maybe the tone is overblown... Actually, it probably is... But I think it's possible as these kind of flights happen more and more... I can imagine laws getting written to stop it.

Yepp i agree - Quads are gonna be everywhere! We are talking multi BILLION dollar industry for personal drones in the next few years. They are not getting more expensive but alot cheaper which means the masses are going to have them.

This is not really like nitro heli's or fixed wing rc craft because our things can actually do productive and NOT SO PRODUCTIVE things lol

So as im sure alot of you here have been enjoying your Phantoms for a few years as i and i but it's not just for us anymore. It's for everyone and horrible people are gonna do horrible things with them eventually and no person here is going to prevent that from happening by calling people idiots lol. When that does happen perhaps regulation tightens! Perhaps it does not due to not wanting to hurt $$commerce$$, and again my point regardless of that day happening soon or never......there will be regulation and one day soon to operate a UAV that has the capabilities of today's Phantom ...You will soon have to register your craft after you have registered and licensed yourself.

I'm sure thats making some cringe but it's how you attempt to make people accountable and knowledgeable about what they are doing.

This guy has flown over a LOT of football stadiums! All he needs is a Lightbridge and he can really get the leagues in trouble with the leagues! Does the CAA restrict air space for large gatherings at stadiums, concert venues, etc.? Regardless, looks like he's broken a bunch of rules several times.

ianwood said:
This guy has flown over a LOT of football stadiums! All he needs is a Lightbridge and he can really get the leagues in trouble with the leagues! Does the CAA restrict air space for large gatherings at stadiums, concert venues, etc.? Regardless, looks like he's broken a bunch of rules several times.

I must admit i am not so familiar with the details of EU / British UAV laws but his videos are pretty cool "ART" and if the laws say he should not be doing that i would say he's gonna have to deal with that himself and because he did what he did is not going to personally effect me. "For the most part" lol

Perhaps he flew over "Martha's Franks and Mash" and the owner got pissed (not drunk lol) and hung a sign saying you cant fly UAV's over my property...then yes if its gonna kill you to not be able to fly over Martha's then you might have a gripe but go fly over Marggies.

Ok you say well national parks, lots of private locations have "banned" UAV flying because Marty flew his drone to close to a hospital. Marty perhaps made a mistake or did not know but can you really blame not being able to fly in Yosemite on Marty or that German guy lol?

It was and should have happened regardless!

There are some brilliant people here that contribute and i have learned so much from alot of you and the good guys dont make others feel bad for asking questions and admitting lack of knowledge because usually in this type of environment those seeking info will stop asking and start echoing who ever is speaking loudly at the time and history has shown those who tend to speak loudly are hiding the sounds they dont want you to hear lol.

We have very reasonable laws in the UK regarding flying camera equipped UAVs and radio controlled aircraft. They are aimed at separating people and aircraft and ensuring at least a degree of privacy.

He broke 3 rules:
1. Flew within 150M of a congested area - a city and also over an organised gathering of more than 1000 persons.
2. Flew at night
3. Flew within 50M of a person and structure (The fairground ride) not under his control.

I to would love to fly over some of these sites, but I would also like to drive at 100MPH. I don't because both activities are illegal and dangerous.

He also flew over a stately home (Belvoir Castle) without the permission of the owner (I know, I asked him) and now that owner is reluctant to allow other flyers onto his estate. So by indulging in his hobby without thought to other people, he is spoiling it for the rest of us.

noiseboy72 said:
We have very reasonable laws in the UK regarding flying camera equipped UAVs and radio controlled aircraft. They are aimed at separating people and aircraft and ensuring at least a degree of privacy.

He broke 3 rules:
1. Flew within 150M of a congested area - a city and also over an organised gathering of more than 1000 persons.
2. Flew at night
3. Flew within 50M of a person and structure (The fairground ride) not under his control.

I to would love to fly over some of these sites, but I would also like to drive at 100MPH. I don't because both activities are illegal and dangerous.

He also flew over a stately home (Belvoir Castle) without the permission of the owner (I know, I asked him) and now that owner is reluctant to allow other flyers onto his estate. So by indulging in his hobby without thought to other people, he is spoiling it for the rest of us.

I'm sure it's frustrating identifying a spot or landmark to shoot only to find the owner for what ever reason does not want you to fly on their property I would imagine for every one location you can't shoot there has to be about a thousand locations you can shoot
You can't control what others do so get over it and go fly one of those other great locations to shoot.

An interesting Wired article here relating to UK laws. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-02/20/shoot-down-drones/viewall

The legal turbulence hindering drones in the UK

Sooner or later there will inevitably be a case when the privacy of a celebrity is invaded, a drone crashes and kills someone, or a householder takes the law into their own hands and shoots a drone down

The first cases to reach court will be around invasion of privacy, illegal use by saboteurs, or will be brought by civil liberties groups unhappy with how police are using drones

He shouldn't have broken the rules but the rules in this case, suck... to put it bluntly. If I had to abide by CAA rules, the video I made of downtown LA would not have been possible. And the one I am making of Chicago. And New York.

Using a drone to capture urban landscapes especially architectural marvels in entirely new perspectives is invaluable. Obviously you can't let every muppet with $500 have a go at it but banning it altogether or creating impossible hurdles should be equally off the table.

The CAA rules are Draconian and stifling. 50m from a person or structure? You might as well make it 50km. 150m from a congested area (i.e. urban/city area)? That's great if you're content to film cow s*** drying in the sun.

ianwood said:
He shouldn't have broken the rules but the rules in this case, suck... to put it bluntly. If I had to abide by CAA rules, the video I made of downtown LA would not have been possible. And the one I am making of Chicago. And New York.

Using a drone to capture urban landscapes especially architectural marvels in entirely new perspectives is invaluable. Obviously you can't let every muppet with $500 have a go at it but banning it altogether or creating impossible hurdles should be equally off the table.

The CAA rules are Draconian and stifling. 50m from a person or structure? You might as well make it 50km. 150m from a congested area (i.e. urban/city area)? That's great if you're content to film cow s*** drying in the sun.
The cow **** line was great. Mind if I use it sometime?

The CAA rules are Draconian and stifling. 50m from a person or structure? You might as well make it 50km. 150m from a congested area (i.e. urban/city area)? That's great if you're content to film cow **** drying in the sun.

...and there lies the difference between the UK and USA!

There is plenty to film in the UK without straying into towns and cities. The law is to protect privacy and also people and property from damage and injury.

If you want to film in the city, you pay around $1500 to become a rated pilot. This proves you are safer to fly closer to people and are (hopefully) a more responsible pilot!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20