This guy needs grounding - FAST !

I am sorry, but..I thought the London from the sky was a good video, not ever being their it was interesting for me, I didn't see anything actually dangerous in it..but this is why I would also get myself in trouble and don't fly anymore.

I agree that the London video isn't dangerous (the others are).

However, it is the UK Parliament building and analogous to flying over the White House, Parliament in Canberra, the Reichstag building in Berlin etc.

The media would have a field day with this.

Flying over London like this, no matter whether you think it is dangerous or not or is a good video, it is breaking the law in the UK. He is flying over people and traffic and in a 'congested' area at night. That is dangerous and why we have laws here...whether you like them or disagree with them or not.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

job2310 said:
This one is shocking! Flying over a Premiership football match! How has he not been arrested?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZC_SgfdeKo

to be pedantic, the drone was not 'over' the field of play. it was at altitude alongside the pitch and over a structure so illegal for sure. people are just wanting to take similar videos to the ones they see posted by professional outfits from helicopters. as to being arrested, you have to actually catch the person, if you know who they are, and can prove they actually took the footage rather than posted someone elses video. the person filming and posting might be in the UK on holiday or even live here but sends the videos to a person in a country with no extradition treaty with the UK and is not traceable legally and if you do find out who they are you can't actually get them legally, it probably isn't the case though and i suspect the culprit is resident in the UK. if i was flying illegally i'd be as far away as possible in an area with an LZ with cover. police driving through london traffic won't keep up with an airbourne drone that can be out of sight in seconds. flying from a skip wagon or pickup with a mattress in the back to land on in a rush may be a plan?

Well - he does have great FPV range and good video skills :eek:)
I watched 2 vids and didn't see anything that appeared overtly dangerous or irresponsible. In the UK it may be considered illegal, but he wasn't dive bombing people or putting folks in undue danger.

locoworks said:
job2310 said:
This one is shocking! Flying over a Premiership football match! How has he not been arrested?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZC_SgfdeKo

to be pedantic, the drone was not 'over' the field of play. it was at altitude alongside the pitch and over a structure so illegal for sure. people are just wanting to take similar videos to the ones they see posted by professional outfits from helicopters. as to being arrested, you have to actually catch the person, if you know who they are, and can prove they actually took the footage rather than posted someone elses video. the person filming and posting might be in the UK on holiday or even live here but sends the videos to a person in a country with no extradition treaty with the UK and is not traceable legally and if you do find out who they are you can't actually get them legally, it probably isn't the case though and i suspect the culprit is resident in the UK. if i was flying illegally i'd be as far away as possible in an area with an LZ with cover. police driving through london traffic won't keep up with an airbourne drone that can be out of sight in seconds. flying from a skip wagon or pickup with a mattress in the back to land on in a rush may be a plan?

Didn't you just make a case for tougher laws and stiffer punishments regarding drones? The fact that one guy wants to be a celebrity could have a huge impact on the rest of the flying community in a society where people are already on edge over "drones" to begin with. For the sake of the hobby I think we should all condemn this kind of thing.

Did anyone die?

planedr said:
Did anyone die?
Growup. You can drive down a one-way street the wrong way when no cars are coming the other way - but it is dangerous, illegal and not right.

*SIGH*

There's no point in arguing with guys like that, here. They are either too intransigent or too young to change their opinions, which are largely rooted in narcissism. I've noticed a huge number of people in this very community that don't care about the laws, nor the reasons they were enacted. They typically have no supporting arguments to their opinion, worth a dime, rather tend to make juvenile comments having no grounding in legality or safety. Everyone besides themselves is simply a pain in their a$$ for disagreeing and/or especially pointing out laws they are breaking.

Truth be told --- the video of the Nottingham Fun Fair looks pretty **** sweet! Especially when he flies in close to the people on that rotating arm ride.

But yeah, flying over Parliament seems like a good way to be charged with a severe security risk? If somebody flew a drone over the White House or Capitol I'm pretty sure they'd have Secret Service and Dept. of Defense actively looking for him/her and the outcome would not be very enjoyable! :eek:

LOL,, Considering that the Secret Service can't stop someone from hopping the fence and running into the W' House.. Not sure if they could catch a drone...

MadMitch88 said:
bmr528 said:
LOL,, Considering that the Secret Service can't stop someone from hopping the fence and running into the W' House.. Not sure if they could catch a drone...

Hmmm, you have a good point! :lol:

They didn't notice for four days that someone shot at and hit the White House multiple times. Not sure they'd even notice a drone flying overhead. :lol:

Nobody died...true

However, our hobby, which I am fairly passionate about, is most likely to be eventually banned on security grounds rather than those of safety.

It is very easy to justify the prohibition of 'drones' (you know, the the ones we use against 'the enemy') when they are seen to be flying over large collections of people, in this case a soccer match with 25,000+ people in the stadium.

Flying over and close to the 'seat of government' which the Houses of Parliament are for the UK, is frankly mental. Whether the pilot gets away with it or not is irrelevant.

The damage to our hobby is inevitable and unforgivable.

The UK CAA has set very clear rules for permission to fly in the UK which are specific and IMHO reasonable. Rather than applaud the options and ability to break these regulations we should perhaps be appreciative that currently an adult approach has been taken by the UK authorities to UAV's.

Did anyone die ?

The death may well be that of our hobby.

Lozboz said:
However, it is unlikely that our hobby, which I am fairly passionate about, is most likely to be eventually banned on security grounds rather than those of safety.

The death may well be that of our hobby.

I can understand your concerns, but your "sky is falling" outlook on UAVs is rather unrealistic.

It's pretty much impossible for any government to ban a certain kind of technology from the people. I guess the worlds' governments have been good at preventing nuclear weapons from falling into the hands of ordinary citizens, but everything else is available and impossible to stop. I keep hearing talk about the U.S. government mulling a ban on 3D printers because they could be used to fabricate guns and other nasty weapons. Yeah, good luck on that. I'm sure there are a few American and British politicians who would prefer to keep drones only in the devious grips of military weapons designers, but it's already reached critical mass in the public arena and will only become more common in the years ahead, especially as commercial uses proliferate and flourish.

Government is good at determining tax rates and building a mass transit system. They are virtually powerless to ban a certain kind of technology from the public.

It's pretty much impossible for any government to ban a certain kind of technology from the people

Hmmm.... In 1997 the UK Government banned all handguns, after a school shooting in Dunblane, Scotland.

And people are still being shot with handguns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers