Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. tranaee

2. KennyN

I cannot imagine that the fast charging cycle will do much for the overall life of the cells in the batteries.

bkushner likes this.
  3. daytona125

I think I'll let others try it before I buy it. Stuff like this scares me. There is not only the risk of damaging your smart batteries by charging too fast but the real risk I would think is fire. explosion. We all know how hot the stock charger gets while charging 1 battery, now put 3 batteries and the controller together and see how much power and heat this charger will make. I do see a fan but I think it would still be risky> I know the stock charger draws 300 watts from the inverter I have in my cay. Thats a lot of power to charge 1 battery. Now put 3 batteries together at twice the charge rate, nothing good can happen. And I bet it would drastically reduce the life of your $225 dollar (Canada) battery. And. I think DJI would have offered a higher capacity charger if they thought the batteries could handle it(although they would sell less batteries) Like I said. This stuff scares me, just youtube lipo fires you'll see.

4. QuadPop

bkushner likes this.
  5. N017RW

Not endorsing this or do I own one.

Not sure that's what they're saying (emphasis added above).
    It may be 'marketing-speak'... If you can charge 4 things at once then it's 4x faster even if the individual charge time is the same as the OEM charger.

Having said that many LiPos can be safely charged a 2C or more but I don't believe that's possible with an 'intelligent battery' as it is internally regulated.

6. tcope

4 times faster... in in you can charge 3 bateries and the conroller at the same time. They compare this to one battery at a time with the stock charger and then 1 controller. That is 4 devices one at a time. So this is "4 times" faster. They stat 15.7 amps but this is all chargers added together. Look at the outside picture, it shows 4amps right on the cover.

This is the SAME $50 charger with the name "Thor" on the front so they charge 3 times as much!

tranaee and N017RW like this.
  7. John Locke

First of all Drone World is a bit shady, as we have seen them sell DBS2.2 Itelite antennas for $500 (ripoff). So I don't trust them in the first place. That said.....

4X is simply not possible with the stated 15.7amp output. That is not 4X because the DJI OEM charger puts out at 5.7 amp (100W /17.4V= 5.75A). If you divide 15.7amps by 3, each battery will receive about 5.23amps to charge, which is about 1/2amp less than the OEM charger PER BATTERY. But I believe they divide by 4 (the 4th being the RC line), so it's more a like 4amps per charge line. So this charger "might" charge your batteries about 3X faster, but individually the batteries are not getting more juice than using the OEM charger. This setup will simple charges 3 batteries + the RC simultaneously at the same time, whereas the $90 DJI 3X charger does it one at a time, taking 3X longer to charge all 3 batteries, and it requires the OEM charger to power the $90 cradle for 3 batteries.

DJI charger = 5.75A
    Thor charger = 15.7A
    15.7 / 5.75 = 2.73 (or about 3X more juice)

This Thor charger may be a fine charger, it's just not 4X as stated, it's 3X. I have little concern of it charging batteries too fast, because individually it's less amps per battery.

Pick your price;

$99 from Drone World :cool:

$149 from Drone World :eek:

$59 from Skytreat ;) (slightly less power output)

#7 John Locke, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    tranaee likes this.
  8. Erised

I got that black one as soon as they came out for about $50.00. they work well and like John said the output is less then OEM, The black charger has 3 outputs supplies inside the charger ,one for each top cables and one output for the two bottom cables. I never had any problems and it takes about 1:30+ to charge 3 batteries and rc. I usually land between 15% and 20% (i aim for 20)

tranaee likes this.