Third World country with no service, no reliable internet...

Reaction score
Do not get me wrong. I have read Many similar threads.

... however: as my subject says, I am in a place where I just can not get a data plan, GPS-plan, 3G/4G even less LTE for my cell phone. I have an iPhone 5, which has an GPS receiver built in as well. It know where it is. But little does that help before you connect it to something that can tell it what those coordinations mean.

I understand that the drone itself has a built in GPS receiver so it knows where it is.

But Before making this investment I would like to confirm a couple of things.

1. I can fly and control this machine with video stream to my iPhone in the middle of the jungle without: running water or electricity, even less anything that would be called "service" or Internet, available for 500 miles if all my gear is charged?

a. If I don't have cached the parts of the maps I am planning to fly I won't be able to use the maps to navigate trough may flight?

b. I will be forced to trust in my stream-video and not take the drone to far away so I risk losing video signal?

c. If I don't have any cached maps in my application I will not be able to rely on the "Take me home"-button?​

3. No matter which Phantom 3 I buy I will be able to fly it with streamed video to my iPhone 5?

I do understand that I may be having to make some practice at some place where all those luxuries are available, to be able to bring it to all those remote places in the no-mans land.

The more detailed answers and the more questions or/and subquestions you can answer the more I'd appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

you dont need a data plan but you wont be able to download maps on the move.
the bird will fly no problem as will live stream
it all relies on being able to get GPS lock for home and stable positioning

Do not get me wrong. I have read Many similar threads.

... however: as my subject says, I am in a place where I just can not get a data plan, GPS-plan, 3G/4G even less LTE for my cell phone. I have an iPhone 5, which has an GPS receiver built in as well. It know where it is. But little does that help before you connect it to something that can tell it what those coordinations mean.

I understand that the drone itself has a built in GPS receiver so it knows where it is.

But Before making this investment I would like to confirm a couple of things.

1. I can fly and control this machine with video stream to my iPhone in the middle of the jungle without: running water or electricity, even less anything that would be called "service" or Internet, available for 500 miles if all my gear is charged?

a. If I don't have cached the parts of the maps I am planning to fly I won't be able to use the maps to navigate trough may flight?

b. I will be forced to trust in my stream-video and not take the drone to far away so I risk losing video signal?

c. If I don't have any cached maps in my application I will not be able to rely on the "Take me home"-button?​

3. No matter which Phantom 3 I buy I will be able to fly it with streamed video to my iPhone 5?

I do understand that I may be having to make some practice at some place where all those luxuries are available, to be able to bring it to all those remote places in the no-mans land.

The more detailed answers and the more questions or/and subquestions you can answer the more I'd appreciate it.

Thank you very much!
1. Yes. You'll only lose the ability to see map imagery.
2a. You can still use the map and use the aircraft's relative position to create waypoints. It will be more difficult using it without the imagery as you won't have any visual reference
2b. Again, GPS works just fine without a data plan and relative distances from home point is still available.
2c. No. RTH will work even without map imagery. As long as the home point was established prior to takeoff and that the aircraft has a solid GPS lock, it will RTH
3. Yes.

The Phantom doesn't care about GPS imagery. It uses absolute GPS coordinates to get its location fix. The imagery is for the operator/pilot.

The iPhone 5 does not have a powerful enough processor for running the GO app....you need a 5s or later.

If you're prepared to upgrade your phone, or buy a suitable tablet, the answers to your questions are:

1. Yes

2. a. Correct

b. Partially correct..if you get to the point where you lose signal, your Phantom will automatically initiate a Return to Home.

c. Return to Home does not use the maps...provide you have a good GPS lock before you take off, the Phantom always knows where it is, and uses its own GPS to return to the launch point.

3. Yes..with the caveat mentioned above that the standard 5 is not adequate.

Get an iPad mini 3 highly recommended by dji and "help" these devices need a bigger screen to fly FPV

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I fly without a cell/internet connection every day. Some helpful points:

Compass. Calibrate your compass. Your GPS is useless without a good compass.

If you have a decent inverter, you can charge your batteries from the nearest vehicle. Just don't kill the vehicle's battery.

The mapless map will still be useful because it will show you which relative direction your aircraft is pointing.

Good luck!

**** awesome video. Pure alien for them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues