Thinking of upgrading to a new drone $700 budget

Reaction score
So I have the phantom 3 standard and am looking to upgrade In a couple months for my birthday.

Any thoughts?

For a few hundred more you can get the Mavic Pro which is a sweet aircraft.

For that budget you can get a Phantom3Advance or almost a Pro (depending on where and when you buy).

Moving up to the Ad or Pro is a big improvement in many way but going to the Mavic Pro ($999.99) is a HUGE improvement.

Being 13 maybe a Spark might be something that would suit you .
Like BA said the Mavic is a big jump from a Standard .
And is cheaper ;)

Personally, I'd wait. $700 today would get you nothing dramatically better than a P3S (well, you could get a refurbished P3P, which has better range and video, but still same form factor).

In a few months, very likely there will be a new Mavic, and you will start finding used Mavics and/or refurbished. At that point $700 will get you a much better/more portable form factor and a better drone.

The Spark with the additional controller will cost $700, but it's inferior to the P3S video-wise, so not really an upgrade. and it's not much more portable than a Mavic (since the Mavic folds, the Spark doesn't)

Reactions: naohiro
I have 3 advanced and one professional. Still evaluating the benefits of the pro, but I'd want a advanced for the overall stability and range.

I have a standard as well but even though the advanced is the same form factor, you get a better controller and obviously much more range. You can sale your standard and get an advanced if you don't care like me about the 4K in the pro version.

The reasons why I suggested the P3P is that you can find a P3P refurb these days for less than the P3A... it was sold for $539 very recently from Newegg, directly from DJI. Today it's more, but it keeps going on sale frequently. For $539, the P3P is a great deal. But it's still a pretty ungainly form factor compared to the newer drones being introduced in the near future

(Newer drones not having been debugged yet and somewhat unproven in the field) The advanced has the least issues associated with it.

I suggest PP13 get a P3A on that budget. This craft will have a better range, even more range if you bought a used one with GL300A or B controller, since new ones usually have the anemic GL300C controller. The P3S batteries will work in the P3A or P3P. If you happen to find a good buy on P3P, all the better.

I wouldn't bother with today's Mavic because your P3S camera will shoot better 1080 video than a Mavic IMO, and the Mavic gimbal is fragile too. Mavic does fly great, and far, but the camera isn't adequate IMO. Too many lens flares.

I started with a phantom s in about 2 weeks I went to the pro . Both were refurbished and no issues. Love the pro check it out
2cebb5d8e8d4dcf9222028f2c53c0d72.jpg

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will try to find one drone that fits my price under 700. To be honest, I reallly wanted to get an advanced and now you guys have opened some new suggestions for me. Thanks everyone

I would disagree and say that the phantom 3 ADV/PRO are dramatically better that the standard.
Is the $700 budget factor in the sale of the standard or do you plan on keeping it.

I would sell your standard and add the proceeds to your budget (if you are moving out of the P3 line, if not I would keep it just for parts and the battery) .

I would sell your standard and add the proceeds to your budget (if you are moving out of the P3 line, if not I would keep it just for parts and the battery) .

I would sell the phantom 3 standard first and then I will have extra cash for a phantom 3 advanced plus extra batteries.

I would sell it get about 300 and buy the pro you won't regret it. That's what I did and what a difference night and day[emoji89]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl