Thinking of Upgrading from toy to P4P. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I have been playing and learning on a used AR Drone 2.0 for just shy of a year now. I am seriously considering buying a P4P now that I have the basic controls down. My intent is to be a really spectacular quad copter that I could do small side jobs here and there, some freelance work in order to have the quad pay for itself. I'm not trying to get rich quick or anything. Just trying to Justify spending $1500 on a quadcopter. I should mention that I already have my part 107 certificate (took it for free on a military installation). I'm nervous that it might be too big of a jump in quality of drones. Is there too many functions that may make the P4P too complicated for somebody like me? Or would you say that it would be easier to fly? Thanks for the input. Please note that I'm not interested in the P3S or anything under P4. My thoughts are if im forking out enough cash for a P4, I might as well spend a little extra and get all the bells and whistles of a P4P.

I think the phantom's are the easiest quads to fly on the market, I'd be confident letting anyone have a go of mine in a wide open space. It will take a lot of flying hours to nail all the functions but it comes with practice

I have been playing and learning on a used AR Drone 2.0 for just shy of a year now. I am seriously considering buying a P4P now that I have the basic controls down. My intent is to be a really spectacular quad copter that I could do small side jobs here and there, some freelance work in order to have the quad pay for itself. I'm not trying to get rich quick or anything. Just trying to Justify spending $1500 on a quadcopter. I should mention that I already have my part 107 certificate (took it for free on a military installation). I'm nervous that it might be too big of a jump in quality of drones. Is there too many functions that may make the P4P too complicated for somebody like me? Or would you say that it would be easier to fly? Thanks for the input. Please note that I'm not interested in the P3S or anything under P4. My thoughts are if im forking out enough cash for a P4, I might as well spend a little extra and get all the bells and whistles of a P4P.

Get the P4P today and out of the box flight the first thing you will say out loud is......Why the hell did I mess with the toy drone for so long. Its not apples and oranges, it's apples and monkey wrenches. I did the same as you. Although it is a good idea, the Phantoms can fly by themselves. You seem very conscientious and will have no problems. You probably have read the manual and watched a ton of videos which is a great prerequisite . Remember, for every scary post, there are a thousands happy fliers.

Thanks for your responses, I am a month out probably from ordering. Gotta stay on budget, Putting a little a side each paycheck to buy it. Do you think going with the 4P is worth the extra money?

I just received a P4P two days ago. My first drone. I have watched several videos and tested it today. Basic flying is easy. Using all of the options will be a learning curve. The firmware update took a couple of hours-using an iPhone. I probably tapped "continue download" a couple hundred times before the download % quit backing off and installed.

I have ordered a tablet from B&H as the DJI4 app won't work in vertical and the phone/pad bracket won't collapse enough to hold a phone horizontal. So, another $300. Now, to try to figure out where I can fly, and how to find the airport manager's and control tower's phone numbers to notify (live two miles from an AFB). I think it will be great.

I just received a P4P two days ago. My first drone. I have watched several videos and tested it today. Basic flying is easy. Using all of the options will be a learning curve. The firmware update took a couple of hours-using an iPhone. I probably tapped "continue download" a couple hundred times before the download % quit backing off and installed.

I have ordered a tablet from B&H as the DJI4 app won't work in vertical and the phone/pad bracket won't collapse enough to hold a phone horizontal. So, another $300. Now, to try to figure out where I can fly, and how to find the airport manager's and control tower's phone numbers to notify (live two miles from an AFB). I think it will be great.

Keith - does the phone/pad bracket not have the fold out tabs in the middle that permit you to use your phone horizontally? I have the P4 and it does, very handy. I use my IP6+ for 90% of my flights, works like a charm.

To the OP: I flew quadcopters for a few years before I got my P4 and it was an "adjustment" learning to fly a quadcopter that basically flew itself. Now that I have confidence in it I ask myself why I didn't get one years ago! Go for it, you're gonna love it. :)

also note that the FAA just put out a notification a few weeks ago restricting the use of personally owned UAS on or near about 130 DoD installations. I would look into that

I am also new to P4P. Also have a nano quad and Syma for practice. It is useful to know how to control the P4P manually, so if anything goes wrong, you can switch to manual mode and land it safely.
An application like Litchi automates lots of functions, so you can jump to creating a mission and waypoints in no time. Start from very simple missions and build up. This would increase your confidence in yourself and the drone. Also think of anything that could go wrong and have a plan for it.
You will probably need some accessories along the way, so it's good to calculate those in the total cost.

Don't delay, act now. The P4P is easy to fly. If you're not sure what's going on, let go of the controls and it hovers wherever it is until you figure out your next move. Start in the GO APP "Beginner Mode" which will limit its area and height severely. Run it in P mode only at first and in low winds. Learn the functions one by one / flight by flight.

Make a checklist (or I can send you mine) and stick to it. Study the RTH carefully. It's not a magic pill - it has to be set up correctly to be effective when you may need it or when it kicks in by itself. For that matter download the latest manual from DJI and read it several times before the drone arrives.

Mostly, don't worry. Enjoy.

airnav.com should be a good way to get the phone numbers.

Just Do It.... I did your exact story already. Got my 107 and now flying for real. It is great. You will love it. Dive in the water is fine.

Keith - does the phone/pad bracket not have the fold out tabs in the middle that permit you to use your phone horizontally? I have the P4 and it does, very handy. I use my IP6+ for 90% of my flights, works like a charm.

To the OP: I flew quadcopters for a few years before I got my P4 and it was an "adjustment" learning to fly a quadcopter that basically flew itself. Now that I have confidence in it I ask myself why I didn't get one years ago! Go for it, you're gonna love it. :)

Yes, it has the tabs, which would help the phone vertically, if I had a smaller phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 329
also note that the FAA just put out a notification a few weeks ago restricting the use of personally owned UAS on or near about 130 DoD installations. I would look into that

Yes. This appears to be the relevant quote: "US military facilities are vital to the nation’s security. The FAA and the Department of Defense have agreed to restrict drone flights up to 400 feet within the lateral boundaries of these 133 facilities."

It seems to refer to within the base boundaries, so I would have to notify to fly within the 5 mile radius. I'm on the base often, but I wouldn't want to fly in it.

Yes, it has the tabs, which would help the phone vertically, if I had a smaller phone.

Keith, what phone do you have? You mention you have an iPhone but the tabs don't hold it in place because the phone is too big? I have used the holder with iPhone 5 and iPhone 7+ and it works fine with both. Are you sure you're extending the holder far enough if you have a large iPhone and extending the tabs? With the tabs out it certainly compresses far enough for any phone I have tried.

Keith, what phone do you have? You mention you have an iPhone but the tabs don't hold it in place because the phone is too big? I have used the holder with iPhone 5 and iPhone 7+ and it works fine with both. Are you sure you're extending the holder far enough if you have a large iPhone and extending the tabs? With the tabs out it certainly compresses far enough for any phone I have tried.

I have the iPhone 7+. The control screen-holder is mounted vertically. I see no way to make it horizontal. The two side tabs fold forward but cannot be pulled to the sides (to allow for the iPhone to be mounted horizontally). The top clamping mechanism in its lowest position, will not hold the phone horizontally. The DJI Go 4 app will not display vertically on the phone (screen rotate-it would be hard to use that way anyway). So barring tape, my phone is not secured.

Regardless, I have a 9.7" iPad coming Monday, which will work fine. The iPad I have is several years old and the DJI Go 4 app is incompatible, and it doesn't have a lightening port.

As an aside, it seems remarkable DJI provides pitifully inadequate instructions on their products. If it were not for YouTube videos and forums, a beginner is unlikely to learn to use the product (especially the camera) fully.

Last December, my wife bought my a quad that cost about $ 90.00USD. Two months and 5 quads later, I bought my P4P.

There's no comparison! Justifying the expense has actually been easy. It's a great way to relax, and with having your Part 107, the profit potential, you just might make a few bucks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik